Someone dumps a mattress on your property

I was leaving my neighborhood yesterday and noticed some lowlife dumped two mattresses on two different properties leading out to the main road. Who is responsible to get rid of these mattresses? Can you call the city and they will take care of it or are you crap out of luck and you have to dispose of it and pay for it?
Here if it's on private property the land owner is responsible. I often have to deal with this. City or state property then they are responsible.

Not sure if it’s right or wrong. If properly disposed of, they likely just go into the landfill. A big pile of dry brush and tree limbs under the mattress gets the fire nice and hot.
Depends on the landfill. Supposedly ours is 20 bucks because the county takes them apart and recycles what they can, or sends them to where it's done. They couldn't pay me enough 🤢

To what? ....disassemble a mattress? I agree.
They have shredders and magnets.
Recycling the other materials might surprise you.
There are some fibers which can be incorporated into other products.
To disassemble yea. Suppose it could be automated. After getting boned for 20 bucks to dump a box spring I was curious what they did and watched a YouTube video. The one I watched showed them doing it by hand and getting the metal out. That would be gross.

Bedding sellers have always claimed that bedbug feces and dead insects makes up half the weight of your in-service mattress and pillows.

This is why they smolder so when you try to burn one. Now THAT'S gross.

Burning mattress smells bad, do it on a hot or freezing evening when no one else is trying to sit around outside

I thought mattresses were treated with a flame retardant. I guess enough fuel will burn anything.

iu

Depends on the landfill. Supposedly ours is 20 bucks because the county takes them apart and recycles what they can, or sends them to where it's done. They couldn't pay me enough 🤢
Ours won’t take them at all

We have an annual program where you can bring 1 item to dispose.

Outside that you have to make an appointment and pay per lb

I guess I'm lucky enough to live in a county/state where the little dropoff dumps will take anything (except antifreeze, and they take that occasionally). Tires, mattresses, appliances, they take it all. Tires and appliances have their own containers. Mattresses go in the bulk container. If the bulk container is full, they will tell you to "bring it back tomorrow" no matter what it is. I pass one on the way to work and live 3 miles from another one, so no big deal.

Except used burn barrels. Those have to go to the main landfill. I was told it was a fire safety thing and they had to destroy them with bulldozers to ensure no spark remains.

I almost got a free queen mattress a couple of months ago. A new one was sitting on the side of the interstate. Unfortunately the plastic had torn and it was raining. Darn right I stop and check out stuff like that.

In my area we can ask the municipal to come pick up large items 2 times a year for 2 items each visit. People usually just call to pick up these things when they want them gone. I haven't seen dumping like this.

Yep, same here.

I do large tree trimmings and branches that I don’t want to cut up and put in trash container for pick up by city.

I was tired of looking at the mattresses every day this week so I dragged them onto the road and filled out the form on my cities code enforcement website page this morning. I stated someone illegally dumped two mattresses on the road, by 2pm they were gone.

I was tired of looking at the mattresses every day this week so I dragged them onto the road and filled out the form on my cities code enforcement website page this morning. I stated someone illegally dumped two mattresses on the road, by 2pm they were gone.
Perfect!! Glad you got rid of them on their dime, not yours!

Back