Some Shell/Chevron gas station sell unbranded fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
Extreme claims require extreme facts. OP you have successfully presented none. Congrats.

What is your signature mean? I've never understood it

Originally Posted by jhellwig
Originally Posted by Cressida

Mid grade is not blended at the pump. That is done at the fuel terminal also.

In the ten states that I'm familiar with, most retail stations only have two underground storage tanks (for gasoline). One for regular and one for premium. There is no mid-grade storage tank on site.

Isn't it still the colonial pipeline as the major source of gasoline supply in the SE U.S. ?

It is done at the terminal at all of the terminals in my companies system in the Midwest. We have an arm that does 87 e10 and then a blender arm that does all the grades with and without ethanol (no e85 though). If you are in Joplin Missouri and you are at one of those green trimmed brand station that is how it is done. Outside of the Midwest I don't know and as far as I knew blender pumps are rare.

the station i sometimes work at, and most of the rest i'm familiar with, only has/have 3 tanks in the ground.
1) 87 no-lead (it's not Un-leaded, there was never any lead in it to begin with)
2) 93 Premium
3) Diesel

if you push the mid grade button on the pump(89) it mixes from the regular and Premium tanks right at the dispenser.

and around here, it's basically ALL e10.

1 station has e0 91, and a couple with e85 (which the local depot doesn't offer, you have to go 2hrs north to load e85)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gaspo
........ There are shell/ chevron stations who sell theirs gas without single drop of vpover nitro or techron additives. They buy some generic gasoline which probably meet all top tier requirements and sell it under shell/chevron brands.

After the Phoenix pipeline break, I questioned all of this. Since then I have walked up to tanker drivers while they were delivering, and just started making casual conversation with them about this very thing. They, (3 different drivers at a total of 3 different stations), have all told me the exact same thing you are saying. You can take from that what you will. My question I found myself asking is why would they lie?

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by gaspo
........ There are shell/ chevron stations who sell theirs gas without single drop of vpover nitro or techron additives. They buy some generic gasoline which probably meet all top tier requirements and sell it under shell/chevron brands.

After the Phoenix pipeline break, I questioned all of this. Since then I have walked up to tanker drivers while they were delivering, and just started making casual conversation with them about this very thing. They, (3 different drivers at a total of 3 different stations), have all told me the exact same thing you are saying. You can take from that what you will. My question I found myself asking is why would they lie?

And you think the drivers have intimate knowledge as to what's blended into the product that's put in their tanks?

You could ask the UPS guy about the Cisco gear he delivers me too, odds are he doesn't have two sweet clues what any of it is. Maybe it's all "routers".

With regard to the quality of the fuel coming out of the pumps... it doesn't matter what logos are/are not shown on the delivery trucks, and it doesn't matter which specific refinery is filling the delivery trucks. There are multiple supplier and delivery contracts going on all the time, and they do change.

What matters is the fuel that's actually pumped into consumers' vehicles. The only way to prove what THAT is, is to have it tested. This testing is done randomly and regularly. Also the accuracy of the pumps is tested regularly (volume indicated vs volume delivered).

Violators are heavily fined.

Consumers will still occasionally get a bad tank of gas (water, sediment, etc) but it is extremely rare. Fuel is filtered (or at the very least strained) at every step of the process: from the refinery into the trucks, from the trucks into the retail storage tanks, and from the retail tanks into your vehicle's fuel tank. Gas stations that are not busy (slow inventory rotation) may have more issues than busy stations.

The point where the additive cocktail is added may be at different points -- when filling the tanker truck at the refinery, or when the truck unloads into the retail storage tank. But again what matters is what's coming out of the retail pump nozzles.

This is all based on my understanding of the industry. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Originally Posted by billt460
.........There are far more pipelines running in and out of everywhere than anyone realizes.

Phoenix lost their entire gasoline supply for several days when a single pipe broke.

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/25/us/gas-shortage-eases-in-phoenix-as-pipeline-resumes-pumping.html

I'm not saying their aren't bottle necks. Just because product can move in and out of terminals doesn't mean it can be used. If you take the ability to deliver into a terminal away it can severely mess up line allocations making it days before a needed product can reach a point where it can be taken out of the pipe. Pipelines can hold way more product that the terminals they deliver to could hold.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Consumers will still occasionally get a bad tank of gas (water, sediment, etc) but it is extremely rare. Fuel is filtered (or at the very least strained) at every step of the process: from the refinery into the trucks, from the trucks into the retail storage tanks, and from the retail tanks into your vehicle's fuel tank. Gas stations that are not busy (slow inventory rotation) may have more issues than busy stations.

Exactly. Another interesting anecdote here is that we have had several Mobil and Esso stations locally run out of fuel. There was no shortage of fuel, per se. Every other station in the city had fuel. All of it comes from the Co-op refinery; there was no shortage of actual gasoline. That leaves two options. First, Imperial Oil ran out of money and couldn't obtain gasoline. That's unlikely. Second, Imperial Oil locally ran out of one or more components of their additive package for their Synergy gasoline. That's more plausible.

Originally Posted by earlyre
Originally Posted by Cressida

Mid grade is not blended at the pump. That is done at the fuel terminal also.

In the ten states that I'm familiar with, most retail stations only have two underground storage tanks (for gasoline). One for regular and one for premium. There is no mid-grade storage tank on site.

Isn't it still the colonial pipeline as the major source of gasoline supply in the SE U.S. ?

It is done at the terminal at all of the terminals in my companies system in the Midwest. We have an arm that does 87 e10 and then a blender arm that does all the grades with and without ethanol (no e85 though). If you are in Joplin Missouri and you are at one of those green trimmed brand station that is how it is done. Outside of the Midwest I don't know and as far as I knew blender pumps are rare.

the station i sometimes work at, and most of the rest i'm familiar with, only has/have 3 tanks in the ground.
1) 87 no-lead (it's not Un-leaded, there was never any lead in it to begin with)
2) 93 Premium
3) Diesel

if you push the mid grade button on the pump(89) it mixes from the regular and Premium tanks right at the dispenser.

and around here, it's basically ALL e10.

1 station has e0 91, and a couple with e85 (which the local depot doesn't offer, you have to go 2hrs north to load e85)

There are some old stations that don't have blender dispensers. They have 3 hose/nozzles on each side, one for each grade.
Also you'll see a blue fill cap on the tank farm for the mid-grade tank. There is a Shell station in Defiance like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back