Some questions about Amsoil ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that Amsoil claims that their synthetic ATF meets all requirements for ATF+4, Dexron VI, and Mercon V. I've read from other sources that Dexron VI and Mercon V are mutually incompatible, and it's impossible to make a blend that meets both simultaneously, and also that ATF+4 and Dexron are not compatible either...so how can they claim it meets all these specs simultaneously? What's their secret? Does anyone here use this fluid?

Amsoil has more than one ATF. They even have CVT fluid. You need to look on their website to see what is recommended for your exact transmission by Amsoil. It will work as good or better than any OEM ATF.

I only use Amsoil in both my Jeep and Dodge Ram. Have been for years. Its in the Jeep's transfer case also.

I feel its worth the expense and PIA to get ATF and gear oil from Amsoil. I do not sell the stuff, just use it.

I use Amsoil ATF in the transmissions of my Saab 9-5 and my son-in-law's Saab 9-2x, and in the transfer case of my Dodge Ram. I also use it as power steering fluid in my non-Swedish cars. I tend to use the specific product recommendations on the Amsoil website which have never steered me wrong.

Can you post a link whee they claim to meet Dex VI and Merc V in the same fluid? I see one that is Dex VI and Merc LV and one that is Dex III and Merc V.

Meeting more than one specific requirement is a marketing device. You should consider using the specific product for your application before you consider a compromise solution.

Originally Posted By: guyonearth
I looked at a bottle of it in the store (O'Reilly). Stated quite clearly Dexron III, Mercon V, AND ATF+4. I don't see that it was Dexron VI now, but I will check again. I thought that ATF+4 and Dexron III were conflicting specs, by the way.

I think this was it:
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/tr.../?code=ATFQT-EA

But it didn't say it applied to DexronVI;
Quote:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V, ESP-M2C166-H; GM DEXRON® III; Chrysler ATF+4®, MOPAR® AS68RC; ...etc.

Amsoil markets a seperate fluid for Low Viscosity (LV) ATFs.

The reason they say it can meet these applications is due to the performance additive which, with the proper base oils, was tested in multiple transmission types and found to be workable in those transmissions.

Last edited:
I've noticed that Amsoil claims

I've noticed that Amsoil claims a lot of things. But the fact that their ATF is MORE expensive than what I pay for OEM fluid at the dealer takes them off my list immediately. BTW, the Amsoil "Moonies" will tell you that Amsoil is "better" than OEM fluid. Which is laughable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Meeting more than one specific requirement is a marketing device. You should consider using the specific product for your application before you consider a compromise solution.

If AMSOIL's ATF was a compromise, then how can their fluids do so well in so many vehicles after all these years? One would think there would be a ton of lawsuits and AMSOIL would be out of business by now.

i can attest using the appropriate amsoil in multiple honda/acura, multiple jeep/chrysler, and a toyota/aisin transmission with no problems.

there are more amsoil atf's available than what is shown on that brochure. dated?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rat407
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

If AMSOIL's ATF was a compromise, then how can their fluids do so well in so many vehicles after all these years? One would think there would be a ton of lawsuits and AMSOIL would be out of business by now.

You may be absolutely correct. For me I don't know all that and I willing to stick with a product specifically designed for the exact application at hand. Much of the reporting on performance of lubrication products is anaconda or out of context interspersed with laboratory testing that may not apply to real world applications. In other words, why take the chance if you don't have to?

guyonearth... that link was a brochure from 2009, thats 6 years ago and no longer applies, as some formulations have changed, alot of new products added, you can delete it, its not relevant.

Originally Posted By: Click
guyonearth... that link was a brochure from 2009, thats 6 years ago and no longer applies, as some formulations have changed, alot of new products added, you can delete it, its not relevant.

Yes it dates back to 2009 and is certainly outdated.

Sadly it's also a testament to how Amsoil can get carried away with their belief in their products and get a little too tricky for comfort.
In the link posted earlier which goes to their 2009 catalogue, it says that their ATF is suitable for use in DEX II, III and VI applications.

Since then they have changed their recommendations, and brought out an LV fluid that's designed for LV type DEX VI applications.
I don't know how that relates to the ATF+4 spec.

Frustratingly, for my own vehicle which specs a DEX II or III oil(depending upon the source), Amsoil have changed their recommendation for the manual transmission option 3 times in about the last 5-6 years, where It has gone back and forth between 2 different fluids which are similar but not identical.

If I recall correctly, their ATF used to be a higher viscosity fluid, then when the DEX VI spec came out they reduced the viscosity of their ATF fluid in order to "hopefully" catch some of the market for DEX VI applications.
It didn't work out for them too well, so they brought out the dedicated LV fluid for DEX VI applications and raised the viscosity of their AFT fluid back up to what it was originally for the older spec.

I think they may have learnt a good lesson from the above example.

I use Amsoil products and I think they're great and provide me with confidence, but I also get disappointed in their inconsistencies and borderline overly inflated claims.

Last edited:
I've noticed that Amsoil claims that their synthetic ATF meets all requirements for ATF+4, Dexron VI, and Mercon V. I've read from other sources that Dexron VI and Mercon V are mutually incompatible, and it's impossible to make a blend that meets both simultaneously, and also that ATF+4 and Dexron are not compatible either...so how can they claim it meets all these specs simultaneously? What's their secret? Does anyone here use this fluid?

With this and all 'similar' fluids check the wording carefully. If it's an APPROVED DEXRON product for instance, there will be a licence number on the packaging. Often you will read 'recommended' or 'suitable'. According to who?
If the transmission does experience a problem just try blaming the fluid and getting compensated! If you want to know the truth read the claims, read the specs and read the wording. You will find that some of the claims are impossible to meet with one fluid.

Guy - take some of the stuff you read here with a grain of salt. And the video posted is NOT an Amsoil employee.

Amsoil does not make an ATF that meets all those specifications. Amsoil makes 9+ ATF's:

Amsoil ATF's

Many many thousands of cars on the road with Amsoil ATF. The fluid not only performs perfectly, it really lasts. Yes, it's not cheap, but when the fluid goes over 100,000 miles and still looks and acts new, it's just not that high of a premium to pay.

Amsoil makes excellent ATF. There is some overlap and some transmissions can use several different Amsoil products. Not sure what the big deal is.

I haven't seen any data to prove that it is impossible to meet many pathetic OE specs with one fluid. If you have it, show it.
I have seen additive supplier data showing products that exceed multiple OE specs, from mildly reputable companies like Afton, Infineum, Lubrizol...

Cost is a typical argument for many. I want better than OE and don't have a problem paying a little more. Lowest bid dealer sourced fluid just doesn't cut it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back