Some one confirm to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone

1- What is the main different between SN, GF5 & Dexos? does the las one cause less sludge & keep more gasoline?

2- If I want to compare 2 or more oils. how can I know the best if have these physical Characteristics: viscosity index, pour point & flash point؟

3- If car manufacturer recommend to use abc oil & I found oil for xyz has the same viscosity but is better than the first one in phiscal Characteristics. what is the better for my car؟

4- If I have 2 or more oils. 1-Does the oil which has the highest viscosity index cause the fewest sludge at the same drive conditions? 2- and I can drive more milage?

5-We know that oil decreases in other word: evaporates or burns
If it burns: Does that mean that he turns into sludge and affect on oil pump permormance?

6-If oil decreases 450 ml per 3100 km. is this acceptable? And what is the acceptable?

7-In normal driving conditions, what is the distance or in how many km I have to change oil? And in difficult conditions?

8-If I have to change in 3000 miles and I drove for 2500. after long time: is this good because it causes less sludge?

9-Does weather temperature greatly affect on oil viscosity & I have to change oil before defalt time or milage? Or not because engine temp 150-190 degrees Celsius?

thank you

You are asking questions where for the most part the answer is it depends.

The characteristics of the virgin oil classify it, more important are what will the characteristics be when the oil has 5000 miles on it.

An oil the meets the specs in the owners manual should be the starting point. And the OCI should be what is in the owners manual. Unless you are willing to spend $$ on UOAs I would not extend the oil change.

Your consumption is reasonable and is within the normal range at around a quart in 4K miles.
Much depends upon the engine, the oil used and how the car is driven for both oil consumtion and oil life.
The recommended grade and spec of oil changed as recommended is usually a good starting point in any discussion of what to use and how often to change it.
You live in Asia, but where?
There are Asian countries where high quality oil is readily available and some where it isn't.
A Dexos licensed oil would be a good bet in an area where oil quality is suspect.
Dexos is a solid spec and goes beyond either API SN or ILSAC GF-5 requirements.

Donald I mean in general

fdcg27 I am in Middle East & I have dexos oils like petromine A1

and I have another fully synthitec oil but not dexos like Mobil 1 0w-40.
The first one has VI 162 & the second one has VI 184. Petromine is the better(because dexsos) but I can drive more milage if I use Mobil 1 in the same driven condition for the same engine(I want to know in general)?

My questions in general

thank you

ITTI. Oil that meets the two Dexos specs will be of high quality. Dexos 1 is for gasoline engines and Dexos 2 for diesel and gasoline engines in Europe. Dexos 2 will be either a higher viscosity 5w30 meeting Europes A3 &(BMW, MB, VW etc) or a 5w40 and 0w40 grade. What does the owners manual say what to use ?
What type of auto do you have? If you can use a thicker weight
then an oil meeting Dexos 2 will be better. Mobil 0w40 will meet the Dexos 2 spec.

1--The American and Japanese car makers set a standard--that becomes ILSAC GF-5. The American Petroleum Institute adopts that standard along with other upgraded standards. That becomes API Service Category SN. General Motors sets their standards and calls them dexos1 for gasoline engines or dexos2 for small diesels and some gasoline engines. dexo is the strictest (maybe the best).

2--higher VI, but that may not be the best overall.

3--Use any oil that meets the exact spec (not necessarily the brand name) required in your engine.

4--no and no

5--no

6--That is probably OK

7--Normal conditions, follow your owner's manual. Difficult conditions--half that.

8--3000 mile oil changes are probably excessive. Sludge in this case would be caused by an engine malfunction, not by the oil.

9--Follow your owner's manual for the viscosity recommendations for the temperature. 190C is dangerously hot for an engine and not acceptable with any type of oil. 190F is normally warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back