Some oil questions about my Mazda MX5 ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

Little disclaimer to begin with, just know that I'm french, so don't get upset if I drop some mistakes here and there
grin.gif

So I'm the (happy) owner of a MX-5 ND, the one with the 2.0l Skyactive engine to be precise. My car has reached 8500 kilometers so I was planning on doing an oil change myself.

These are the owner's manual recommendations when it comes to oil viscosity.

[Linked Image]

As you can tell, both 0w20 and 5w30 are recommended as long as they have the API SN certification. Now, I read in a lot of different places (french and english threads) that 0w20 does just fine in protecting the engine, even when running at high temp, which sounds weird to me because I still have the old cliché that a thicker oil will do better at high temp. I live in the south of France, during winter here, we rarely go under 0°C, average of 6-11°C. While in summer we can have temp like 35-37°C. This car use is purely and simply a weekend car, I drive it every sunday, neither more nor less
smirk2.gif
I'm taking a good time, alternating between sporty driving and calm driving on sinuous roads, recently, I decided to do some track days with my car, just one time per month, small sessions of 15-20 minutes on the track, then 30-45 minutes out.

Now, knowing this, I decided to go for a Castrol Edge 5W30 C3 with FST, the oil seems to have a strong reputation, and I'm the kind of guy who does severe oil change (every 10k kilometers). Was a bit hesitant between this one and the Motul 300V Competition with the same viscosity (don't know if this one is a thing outside europe). Do you guys believe I've done a good choice? Would a 0w20 have been okay even for track usage? I'm not particulary concerned about gasoline economy as it's not my every day car, I just want to keep my engine well protected.

Thing is, I've heard that engines designed for 0w20 have a higher wear with thicker oils, but I mean.. the 5w30 isn't "that" thick and it's in the recommended section anyway so honestly, I don't really know what to think at this point!
crazy2.gif

Thank you for your future answers!

Drazyor,

Last edited:
Since you are tracking the car I would run the 5w30. If I am not mistaken the Mazda oil in Europe is made by Total. You can run any major brand that meets the specs. The Motul oil is also good.

The SkyActiv 2.0 is a great engine along with your MX5. Your oil change interval of 8500km is also a good decision.

The 0W-20's you have access to are no doubt excellent synthetics, including Mazda's own house brand oil. If you're uncomfortable with 0W-20, then use 5W-30 in the summer months, then 0W-20 the rest of the year. A lot will tel you here to use 5W-30 only, but in your case the fuel costs are a real consideration so I would only use it May-Sept. When and if I get a Mazda (probably a 3 or a 6), I plan on using 0W-20 year round but my climate is a bit colder than yours. ..

Either will treat your vehicle fine. Given your moderate climate and that you track the vehicle, I would go with 5w30 and call it a day. With the hills/mountains you're driving on, you'll be able to easily and repeatedly run on the higher end of the tachometer. 5w30 should add a marginally better level of protection here. I have the 2.5l SkyActiv and run 0w20 due to warranty. Once warranty is up I have no concerns over running a 5w30 synthetic.

First of all, thanks for the answers, you really did help me with all my interrogations!

Originally Posted by PimTac
Since you are tracking the car I would run the 5w30. If I am not mistaken the Mazda oil in Europe is made by Total. You can run any major brand that meets the specs. The Motul oil is also good.

The SkyActiv 2.0 is a great engine along with your MX5. Your oil change interval of 8500km is also a good decision.

True, it's the Total Quartz 9000 if I remember correctly, I do believe you about the engine, the car is lovely, incredibly fun and versatile, and I believe regular oil changes are the key to keep the engine health at its best over time.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
The 0W-20's you have access to are no doubt excellent synthetics, including Mazda's own house brand oil. If you're uncomfortable with 0W-20, then use 5W-30 in the summer months, then 0W-20 the rest of the year. A lot will tel you here to use 5W-30 only, but in your case the fuel costs are a real consideration so I would only use it May-Sept. When and if I get a Mazda (probably a 3 or a 6), I plan on using 0W-20 year round but my climate is a bit colder than yours. ..

I understand your point yeah, if I wasn't tracking the car I'll probably do the same thing 0w20 for winter and 5w30 for summer, I have no clue about the consumption differences between the two viscosity tho.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Either will treat your vehicle fine. Given your moderate climate and that you track the vehicle, I would go with 5w30 and call it a day. With the hills/mountains you're driving on, you'll be able to easily and repeatedly run on the higher end of the tachometer. 5w30 should add a marginally better level of protection here. I have the 2.5l SkyActiv and run 0w20 due to warranty. Once warranty is up I have no concerns over running a 5w30 synthetic.

Thanks for the answer, you said you can't use 5w30 during the warranty period, do you mean Mazda only allows you to use 0w20 on the Skyactiv 2.5l in the manual? Glad I have at least the choice between two oils, perhaps it's because you have a US MAZDA while I own a EU MAZDA, I believe they are some differences between our country for the same car.

Yes, the engines are the same regardless of location.

I own the Mazda CX-5 with the 2.5 engine. It's very much like your engine with only slightly bigger displacement.

Is your MX-5 a soft or hardtop?

Lastly, welcome to BITOG.

A soft top, I bought it end of May this year, 2.0 Selection (not like I had the choice with this engine) but I didn't take the sport option, I wanted to keep the car comfy and a bit "multi-purpose" not that I'm regretting this choice or anything but I might buy at least short Eibach springs if I find the roll too troublesome, color is white metallic.

And thank you for the welcome!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Drazyor
A soft top, I bought it end of May this year, 2.0 Selection (not like I had the choice with this engine) but I didn't take the sport option, I wanted to keep the car comfy and a bit "multi-purpose" not that I'm regretting this choice or anything but I might buy at least short Eibach springs if I find the roll too troublesome, color is white metallic.

smile.gif

Your welcome and a beautiful car. The White is a great color.

Originally Posted by PimTac

smile.gif

Your welcome and a beautiful car. The White is a great color.

Thank you, I'll share some pictures someday with a beautiful landscape in the background
grin2.gif

And I agree for the color, I really like how white makes the lines pure, I'm probably spending more time cleaning it than driving it actually but that's cool I guess
lol.gif

And again thanks to all of you for the help you brought me for the good oil viscosity choice!

First of all, thanks for the answers, you really did help me with all my interrogations!

Originally Posted by RamFan

Thanks for the answer, you said you can't use 5w30 during the warranty period, do you mean Mazda only allows you to use 0w20 on the Skyactiv 2.5l in the manual? Glad I have at least the choice between two oils, perhaps it's because you have a US MAZDA while I own a EU MAZDA, I believe they are some differences between our country for the same car.

As PimTac stated, the two engines are very similar. While there are no differences between EU and U.S. motors, the manuals are different. In the U.S. Mazda calls for 0w20 to be used with the option of running 5w30 elsewhere. For the sake of simplicity most in the U.S. stick to the 0w20 to err on the side of caution while they have a warranty.

So depending where you live, you can run anything betweey 0/20 and 5/50. Get a oil temp gauge on your car and that will tell you what to run. I know a lot of guys that run M1 0/40 in their MX5 on the track but they run more than 20 min's. at a time.

ROD

I would use 5Wx30 or 10Wx30.

Temperature wise 10W is good down to 0°F (-18°C) and you (6-11°C typical lows) are well above that.
However your second chart may be somewhat optimistic and not accurate. It's showing 10W is good down to -20°F ... I think it should have shown down to 0°F. ... But it doesn't matter in your case. The charts for 5W low temperatures (-22°F range) look relatively correct.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Translation:

Cinq/DixWTrente
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Haha hon hon la baguette
lol.gif

Yeah I can tell you guys all agree about the 5w30 being just nice for what I do with the car, glad to had many answers tho, appreciate!

Your manuals allow for nearly everything. I wished more cars still came with graphs like that.

An oil I bleat on about quite a bit but doesn't get much respect here because it's not available in the US is Castrol Edge 0w30 FST Dexos 2.

It meets API SN so you'll have no warranty issues, it has some other great approvals like BMW LL04, Dexos 2, 502/505.01 and some MB approvals. It's also a full Group 4 synthetic which is rare to find in an off-the-shelf oil.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Your manuals allow for nearly everything. I wished more cars still came with graphs like that.

An oil I bleat on about quite a bit but doesn't get much respect here because it's not available in the US is Castrol Edge 0w30 FST Dexos 2.

It meets API SN so you'll have no warranty issues, it has some other great approvals like BMW LL04, Dexos 2, 502/505.01 and some MB approvals. It's also a full Group 4 synthetic which is rare to find in an off-the-shelf oil.

Well that's exactly the one I bought and received today btw!
https://www.castrol.com/fr_fr/franc...dge/edge-produits/edge-huile-moteur.html

Castrol Edge 5w30 FST C3 from what I've heard it's a really good quality oil

Originally Posted by Bailes1992

Well that's exactly the one I bought and received today btw!
https://www.castrol.com/fr_fr/franc...dge/edge-produits/edge-huile-moteur.html

Castrol Edge 5w30 FST C3 from what I've heard it's a really good quality oil

Not quite the same oil. The 5w30 FST doesn't carry as many approvals and is a Group 3 super hydrcracked mineral oil.

That said, it's not a bad oil at all!

Oh okay my bad, will look for that group 4 oil for the next change, don't believe it's available in France tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back