Some internal pics over time

Purchased this 1992 Buick Century from an elderly friend in 2014 with 186K miles on it. He was a 10w40 Havoline man and car has been well maintained. Original owner had it for the first 30K miles. Car had considerable notes on repairs since new. Unable to determine exact service intervals for oil changes. Have found numerous cases of repairs that were not done or not completed properly (or damage incurred), though the local GM dealer was paid for the service/repair.

92 Century.jpg

I did find this car had a lazy thermostat that did not open until around 230 degree not long after purchase. Not sure how long this had been on going.

This car has been treated to a steady diet of December sale, Autozone synthetic oils at least 4 times a year since I have owned it. It is ready to turn over 250K miles.

This car has the odd and simple, little brother of the Buick 3800 V6, the Buick 3300 (MPFI only, no MAP, no EGR, no counterbalance shaft). It was only sold in GM A and N bodies from 1989 through 1993 models.

I preemptively replaced the timing chain and tensioner at 200K miles in Jan. of 2016. The tensioner (already removed in pic) was at the end of its travel.
Old Chain.jpg

This was the timing cover after a light cleaning. As the gearotor oil pump is contained in the front cover of these engines, I did not want to subject it to subject it to significant solvent saturation.

Timing Cover 1.jpg

I also removed the oil pan before reinstalling the timing cover. It was spotless inside.

Changed the intake manifold gasket at 230K miles in late 2018.

After3.jpg

These gaskets are nearly as bad as the notorious GM 3100/3400 intake gaskets. No improved design for these available, AFAIK,

Gaskets.jpg

This leads us to the under the valve cover pics. Now at almost 250K miles.
Removed.jpg

Changed the rear valve cover only. Suspect the front one might be a little cleaner, as the PCV is hooked to the front cover on these engines.

Those are sweet little cars!! Would that same engine be in the Cutlass Ciera of the same era? If so, my friend had a 92 that had near something around 250,000 miles or so on it. Ran perfect!! He always did 3K oil changes with Exxon Superflo 10W40.

The car eventually got stolen. Police found it the next day totaled.

Those are sweet little cars!! Would that same engine be in the Cutlass Ciera of the same era? If so, my friend had a 92 that had near something around 250,000 miles or so on it. Ran perfect!! He always did 3K oil changes with Exxon Superflo 10W40.

The car eventually got stolen. Police found it the next day totaled.
If it was a V6, it was the same 3300. This is the highest mileage one I've seen. Was actually in good condition and rust free. I'll guess transmission failure. Had 4 fairly new matching tires!
Hi Miles.jpg

I never did post an entire pic of the engine. Repairs are so much easier when they are clean.

20210101_113719.jpg

That's in great shape for the age and mileage. Used to see a lot of those Century's on the road, they obviously sold very well in their day. My sister and BIL had same car (white with red interior) for many years, was a reliable car for them as I recall.

That's in great shape for the age and mileage. Used to see a lot of those Century's on the road, they obviously sold very well in their day. My sister and BIL had same car (white with red interior) for many years, was a reliable car for them as I recall.
We've got a white w/maroon too ('96) that we bought new. Seems like a completely different car with the 3100 V6, as well as a lot of changes and additions to this old chassis. Some were not improvements. It's ready to turn 200K miles.
I think about 3/5 of these were white or blue, a third were gold, and the rest the remaining colors in the last 7 years of production.

Century Custom.jpg

I had a number of friends who have owned high-mileage versions of these cars. Lots of them around in the early 2000s... Usually with an AT replacement, maybe some gaskets, but overall solid cars that kept running until their owners got stable jobs and traded up.

Back at it again, though I am sure getting slower. Now at almost 259K miles.The front valve cover was leaking and marking up my driveway, and it had a leaking thermostat gasket. Decided to do it all at once. Wouldn't have needed to remove the alternator, if I hadn't broken both my 15mm flex socket and my 3/8 universal joint. As expected, the front valve cover was noticeably cleaner, since the air intake for PCV system flows through this valve cover. The valve cover is getting brittle.
Front VT2.jpg

Front VT.jpg

Front VC2.jpg

Front VC1.jpg

Back