Some audio gear I picked up recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to gather up stuff for the upcoming home theater room, although as you can see from some of the pictures, the basement is yet to be finished... I guess I need to get my priorities in order.

Anyway, I picked up two pairs of Jamo speakers off Amazon, the C607 towers and the C603 bookshelves. I'll use one of the C603s as a center channel speaker since I didn't much care for their "matching" center speaker that only has 4" drivers. This way, the drivers across the entire front soundstage will be pretty much the same (1" tweeters and 6" mids).

I also picked up a refurbed Harman-Kardon 3490 stereo receiver off ebay to drive those towers. Still contemplating whether I'll need a new HT receiver or not. I have an old Denon 5.1 receiver, but it doesn't offer HDMI switching. I might just run two HDMI cables to the projector and call it a day.

Not commenting on audio quality since a big wide open concrete basement isn't exactly audiophile's perfect auditioning environment. Too much treble, too little bass... ugh.

P1050150.jpg

P1050125.jpg

P1050284.jpg

P1050262.jpg

Good gears for a song, I like it!

Although Jamo isn't really my cup of tea, given the fact that they are still brand-new, it would be wise if you can give them 300+hrs of playing first (moderate volume) before you can seriously sit down and judge it's sound.

Good luck on the rest of the setup.

Q.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
This may seem like a dumb question Quest, but here it goes anyway, is that a normal procedure for new speakers?

It's a subject of many heated debates, sort of like debate about how soon you should change your factory fill.

Personally, I think it's more about the listener getting accustomed to the sound of his new speakers than it is about actual noticeable change in sound. Again, that's just my opinion. Others will tell you otherwise.

There is no break in for speakers? Whats there to break in? Its a marketing tool so that you keep the product because the time needed to follow the break in instructions would take along time before you said these units don't work.

I own a pair or API's Mirage OM-5's that say the same thing. Hogwash! The sound either works for you or it doesn't, mind you room features play a large roll not to mention type of usage and how strong the amplifier is feeding the speakers. You can never feed too many watts through a speaker but you can damage speakers/drivers by too few watts.

You should be happy with them.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not commenting on audio quality since a big wide open concrete basement isn't exactly audiophile's perfect auditioning environment. Too much treble, too little bass... ugh.

not sure what your looking to invest to improve the sound (if anything) but consider cork flooring (under hardwood or by itself) to help absorb sound. rugs or the like on the walls/ceilings/floors will help improve sound as well.

Quote:
I'm starting to gather up stuff for the upcoming home theater room, although as you can see from some of the pictures, the basement is yet to be finished... I guess I need to get my priorities in order.
It looks cool! Does it echo in there with the concrete? [censored] awesome!
lol.gif

Quote:
There is no break in for speakers? Whats there to break in?
You have to suck on them a little bit. And lots of biting helps. And you should slap them around and pull on them. And squeeze them, and bounce them around (one way or another). Then they sound better. Oh, and I think you have to feed them music too. Then they really sound better. That's what I hear anyway.
lol.gif
grin2.gif

And kind of just hold them too. And feel their shape. And the textures. And how it changes. Mwwaaahahahaha! Awesome. Best speakers ever.

I can hear them from here!

I break in speakers and headphones. I just play them at moderate-high volume all day for a few days while I'm at work. I figure it limbers up the insides a bit and if the unit is going to fail from SIDS as some electronics do, it will bring that about faster and therefore you'll have a greater chance of warranty coverage. Just like computers where you have to do a 'burn-in.'

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing

not sure what your looking to invest to improve the sound (if anything) but consider cork flooring (under hardwood or by itself) to help absorb sound. rugs or the like on the walls/ceilings/floors will help improve sound as well.

Thanks. Yeah, eventually the floor will be carpeted and I'll put up sound absorption panels on walls/ceiling to address first reflection points.

Originally Posted By: Julian
Does it echo in there with the concrete?

It does, big time. That's what kills the sound quality.

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing

Thanks. Yeah, eventually the floor will be carpeted and I'll put up sound absorption panels on walls/ceiling to address first reflection points.
What colors and materials are you going to pick out?
grin2.gif

Any specific reason to pick Jamo, Pete? Just curious.
(I always had the impression they did more pro audio stuff, but i guess i was mistaken)

Quote:
Any specific reason to pick Jamo,

Not really. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing. Jamo is really popular in Europe when it comes to home audio speakers. Of course they were bought out by Klipsch recently, so it remains to be seen how they're going to be affected. I came across some interesting reviews by a guy that compared them to much more expensive speakers and still preferred the Jamos. I was a bit intrigued by their technology (DTT - decoupled tweeter technology). I kind of liked the looks, and the price on Amazon was good, so I said, what the heck...

Also, my parents have a Jamo 5.1 package which has surprising clarity, despite the low price.

Now I have to figure out what to do with my old Monitor Audio speakers...

Quote:
Any specific reason to pick Jamo,
Of course they were bought out by Klipsch recently, so it remains to be seen how they're going to be affected.
Affected by what? Sorry if I'm not connecting something here.

Now I have to figure out what to do with my old Monitor Audio speakers...

DONATE THEM TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
48.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back