In spirit of the "70's speaker vs. now" thread...

Lots of folks been telling me about some fairly modern brand (not sure how new) called Technical Pro that they say they have purchased on line for large speakers and stereo recievers etc.... Seen them in a few magazines for sale. I think some folks look at them as close to the vintage style stuff but with way more power. I don't need power to blow out the windows. I find the music loses something the louder it is blasted.

Lots of folks been telling me about some fairly modern brand (not sure how new) called Technical Pro that they say they have purchased on line for large speakers and stereo recievers etc.... Seen them in a few magazines for sale. I think some folks look at them as close to the vintage style stuff but with way more power. I don't need power to blow out the windows. I find the music loses something the louder it is blasted.
Most of the speakers on their website look like cheap toys with lots of bling. :)

Optimization-BS12P_6f2696a4-2bf5-4277-9d1c-31dbac280cc1_1024x1024.jpg

Most of the speakers on their website look like cheap toys with lots of bling. :)

Optimization-BS12P_6f2696a4-2bf5-4277-9d1c-31dbac280cc1_1024x1024.jpg
Not surprsed. I like the vintage stuff. I put an entire system together some years back off of EBAY for decent prices when folks were talking up that brand. After hearing about them I came across a few of their receiver stereos in catalogs and internet and was not impressed at all. I guess those folks are trying for the "biggest" noise for the least bucks? I will stick to what I know. The BOSE, Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz and JBL brands. You can actually search the internet (Ebay etc...) and find, if you like some brand new vintage speakers and stereo recievers still in original boxes...

From better known brands, Wharfedale, KLH, and Klipsch still make vintage-like speakers.

From better known brands, Wharfedale, KLH, and Klipsch still make vintage-like speakers.

JBL still going old school
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-8rGXF...MIpI7ZqNrN9AIVSFtyCh0XKg4zEAQYAiABEgK4CvD_BwE

Went to the Wharfedale webpage. I get it now. I had no idea they are the makers of all those speakers. I have heard of Denton 80s and 85s and did not realize where they come from. (y)

I was always a fan of the Infinity speakers and as I mentioned in an earlier post, I still have my Studio Monitor 150 series from the late 1980's. What I did not know was that a small audiophile store was located in Kingsport, TN just a few miles from where I grew up. I visited the store about 20 years ago and met one of the Watkins brothers that designed the Infinity-Watkins woofer. Looking at their webpage they manufacture some high end speakers that are well respected. I also see they refoam woofers, so I might just let them rework mine!

I was always a fan of the Infinity speakers and as I mentioned in an earlier post, I still have my Studio Monitor 150 series from the late 1980's. What I did not know was that a small audiophile store was located in Kingsport, TN just a few miles from where I grew up. I visited the store about 20 years ago and met one of the Watkins brothers that designed the Infinity-Watkins woofer. Looking at their webpage they manufacture some high end speakers that are well respected. I also see they refoam woofers, so I might just let them rework mine!

Those look really nice buy way overpriced for what you get. I couldn't imagine paying almost $3000 for tiny 6.5 inch woofers. I need at least 15 inch bass drivers along with horns. Something with at least 6ft tall floor standing cabinets:D

But I bet they do sound nice!! I remember this pace called North American Sound had these 6.5 inch bookshelf speakers that really rocked!! I'm thinking they used Philips drivers.

It is encouraging to see there are still quality American based / family driven companies still out there doing things their way. The web site is most impressive. Looks like some really sweet quality speaker boxes. You know there is no way they could still be out there doing it unless they have a lot of satisfied customers.

Moozic Non Stop is the name of my custom built sound system. With 32
drivers powered by 1000 watts it sports a neighborhood irritability
factor of 10... Its a reproduction of my live concert experiences
where I was free to move about and settle in the proverbial sweet
spot... consequently I'm always auditioning not only new moozic but
also material that demonstrates great engineered sound... so far I
have recorded 4 CDs worth of great sounds... since 1994 I audition
about 100 of tunes a month in hopes of finding just one tune with
that excellent sound quality engineering that really stands out...
stop on by and soak up some sound... you might be pleased...

tQCLw0Q.jpg

True story...
I ordered 6 Bose 301 from my local USAF Base Exchange because of the
low price and no tax... Sure, they said. but you are aware that
reselling them is a against our agreement with Bose... Yes I
understand and added that I needed 6 301 to make 3 602... That
admission was enough to have the Bose area rep knocking at my door...
I invited him in he walks around counting the speakers... then he
asked if I was married... Yes I am... then he wanted to know how I got
permission from the wife to hang so many speakers in the living
room... Well I didn't ask permission because Mary was on vacation and
our living room is actually the sound room... He settled in the sweet
spot and audition my system... I got high marks on timber and tone as
the sound moved around the the room... then he confessed that Bose had
a Devil of a time marketing a full size system to the consumer because
all thought they wish to hear large sound they don't wish to see large
speakers...

Last edited:
Moozic Non Stop is the name of my custom built sound system. With 32
drivers powered by 1000 watts it sports a neighborhood irritability
factor of 10... Its a reproduction of my live concert experiences
where I was free to move about and settle in the proverbial sweet
spot... consequently I'm always auditioning not only new moozic but
also material that demonstrates great engineered sound... so far I
have recorded 4 CDs worth of great sounds... since 1994 I audition
about 100 of tunes a month in hopes of finding just one tune with
that excellent sound quality engineering that really stands out...
stop on by and soak up some sound... you might be pleased...

tQCLw0Q.jpg

True story...
I ordered 6 Bose 301 from my local USAF Base Exchange because of the
low price and no tax... Sure, they said. but you are aware that
reselling them is a against our agreement with Bose... Yes I
understand and added that I needed 6 301 to make 3 602... That
admission was enough to have the Bose area rep knocking at my door...
I invited him in he walks around counting the speakers... then he
asked if I was married... Yes I am... then he wanted to know how I got
permission from the wife to hang so many speakers in the living
room... Well I didn't ask permission because Mary was on vacation and
our living room is actually the sound room... He settled in the sweet
spot and audition my system... I got high marks on timber and tone as
the sound moved around the the room... then he confessed that Bose had
a Devil of a time marketing a full size system to the consumer because
all thought they wish to hear large sound they don't wish to see large
speakers...

I'll refrain from what I think about Bose, but there's a phrase for that - "wife acceptance factor". There's a reason why a lot of all in one devices are considered more acceptable, since they take up less space and/or don't look like big appliances. The satellite-sub combo may be the epitome of this since the full range speakers may be "barely there" and the subwoofer can be hidden.

Those look really nice buy way overpriced for what you get. I couldn't imagine paying almost $3000 for tiny 6.5 inch woofers. I need at least 15 inch bass drivers along with horns. Something with at least 6ft tall floor standing cabinets:D

But I bet they do sound nice!! I remember this pace called North American Sound had these 6.5 inch bookshelf speakers that really rocked!! I'm thinking they used Philips drivers.

No doubt expensive but there are people paying a lot more than that for equipment. I plan to be in the area after Christmas and I may just have to drop in and take a look/listen to those.

I got started a little bit later (1986) but I had a traditional system with a cabinet and no-name speakers. I mean - the speakers were absolute garbage with dry paper cones, including the tweeter. That was definitely a 70s era design with a thin plywood box covered with cheap vinyl. I actually moved up later with a pair of KEF C35s, although I traded up to a C55 pair since the store had a one-year trade up policy. Those were different with the Uni-Q tweeter inside the driver. I heard that Tannoy sued KEF claiming patent infringement of their dual-concentric technology (although my understanding was that it was from the 1940s when KEF had a different technology in the 1980s). The C55 was bigger, but with a passive radiator. They also had this really, really weird grill that had to be pinched to remove.

C15_C25_C35_C55_C75_C95_r.pdf

I actually moved up later with a pair of KEF C35s, although I traded up to a C55 pair since the store had a one-year trade up policy.
C15_C25_C35_C55_C75_C95_r.pdf
I just ordered the Q150 yesterday since Best Buy had them on sale. This will be my first ever pair of KEFs - for my desktop setup, to replace some older PSB Alpha B bookshelves. They're fairly deep. I hope they don't look too out of place on my desk. The Uni-Q driver array should be good for nearfield listening.

Back