Speakers - what and why

Clearly, I am biased towards certain types of speakers.

Attachments

• 1005191825.jpg
    1005191825.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 13
When your sub amps are 14k watts, you need to increase your amperage, this was my solution.

Attachments

• 20170905_152001.jpg
    20170905_152001.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 9
I've noticed there are a few individuals really into audio on here, sleddriver comes to mind for sure, knowing more than most. Some of his posts have been quite enlightening I've noticed, so hopefully he'll chime in here as I hope to delve into a topic that is technical and satisfying as well as one that can be deeply subjective and personal.

Systems are, as the label implies, a collection of individual components put together to hopefully achieve what we are seeking. For some that is a low cost way to immerse themselves in the distraction of music, for others it is an often expensive hobby trying to create that "perfect" sound. The final piece in that puzzle is the loud speaker, putting a face to what lies behind it; turning whatever our source is into a presentation.

Over the years I've heard all kinds of speakers. My ears are probably not the most discerning, given my primary listening material. A good friend of mine has a set of custom horns from these guys: Goodwin Speakers another has a set of B&W 802's, which I find sound glorious, although more "dry" or perhaps "sterile" than the warmth of some others from B&O or the custom ones above.

My own two steaming piles are a set of old Cerwin-Vega D3's I picked up 1st year University at a local pawn shop. I promptly nuked one of the woofers and they have been through three or four sets since in search of better sound. They are cheap pressed particle board cabinets with bat-style installation and the original crossovers. Presently they have a set of Bravox woofers in them, McIntosh tweeters (made by Philips) and the original CV mids. They are far from audiophile grade but they have a reasonable presentation, create a surprisingly good sound stage, and are quite warm sounding while being very loud. The cabinets are front-ported with the port having absolutely no real finish to it, just a hole with a tube in it, no attempt to radius the edges in or out. Internal baffling is equally poor.

Lower frequency material is provided by another mis-mash of parts featuring a McIntosh walnut sub cabinet, sealed, with a Bravox EDX in it.

Considering listening material running the gamut from Mozart to death metal, what direction would you go for your mains and why? What do you presently run and your reasoning behind it.

Discuss!
(getting) Cerwin Vega D-9s or VS-150, probably from EBay, because, while better speakers exist, they sound so good. Bass heavy "Rocker" kind of speaker that can also really thump R&B? Yes please.

My speaker I listen to on average use is a JBL GO! 2 in black, a JBL GO! 3 in red (got it to match a red suit?) and well I don't have a component setup.

I also like how you rebuilt your D-3s. We had D-5s.

So the solution was a new output board, this is one channel, 7k watts. And wire subs from 2.3 ohm up to 5.6 for a little more headroom on amperage. I have two of these fidek fp14000 -with some better control of the nut on the volume knob, they have been reliable.

Attachments

• 0127191553a.jpg
    0127191553a.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 0218191919.jpg
    0218191919.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 0127191536.jpg
    0127191536.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back