Sobriety

It’s great to see the membership support the original poster. RedLineOilUser, I wish you the very best in this journey. It won’t be easy. It will be worth it.

Personal stories, including examples of success, and encouragement, do not cross the line in the medical advice and are welcome.

Let’s please keep the medical advice out of this thread, continue the positive comments, and utilize PM for specific tips or techniques.

Thanks

I can't offer personal, first hand experience as I've never drank(not even a sip) in my life. I've seen what my grandfather's alcoholism did to my dad, and also saw my grandfather nearly kill himself of alcohol poisoning at 92 when his "I think I can have one glass of wine at social hour" after 30 years clean turned into a 3-day, 4 gallons of wine bender. Seeing what it did to him, and how tight of a hold it still had even 30 years later, solidified it.

Just a few days ago, I lost a mentor and very dear friend to the terrible disease. She didn't die of drinking, per se, but several years of it had destroyed her health so much that she died of something that likely wouldn't have killed her otherwise.

I can't speak first hand, but know from being around other alcoholics that taking the first step-which you've already done-is the most important. I wish you perserverence in this battle, and encourage you to seek whatever steps will help you. Also, even if you do experience a set-back, remember that you've not blown everything but are just ready for a fresh start.

Good luck! Never an issue with drinking but smoking....finally been smoke free for a couple years. I was going to say that I was a big castrol fan until I got sober and once clear headed switched to Red Line. My only suggestion is to stay out of situations where there is drinking going on.

It’s great to see the membership support the original poster. RedLineOilUser, I wish you the very best in this journey. It won’t be easy. It will be worth it.
Yes. Even though discussions sometimes get "snooty" . This board has always been amazing in having the best interests of folks that need help at heart. We truly care about each other.

To the OP: I have seen the downhill in some folks. My daughter had an issue due to an abusive ex. Ultimately she remaried and when she had another child she put it behind her. She has been good for 10 years runs daily. She is amazing.

Not bragging about her so much as show you that if you have motivation to make your life matter, it can be done. But as others have said, you may need to do AA (or whatever). Please get back to us!!! Good luck!!

How did you get there,what tips can you provide me, and anything else for a successful transition.Thanks. Currently on Day three.

Good for you. The fact you want to make a change in your life shows that you are hundreds of times ahead of many other. You might be fine just not drinking and walking away on your own, of course provided you have support from family and friends. Studies show that most people who have had issues with alcohol just walk away from it on their own. The truth is there is no one type of alcohol abuse or chemical dependency and many find they drink to deal with anxiety and depression or deal with boredom and loneliness as the pandemic has shown us.

I do not know how much this helps, but I grew up with a close cousin who was two months younger than I, and he drank a lot of beer. Like a case and a half a week. He did that for a long time and then a few years ago he was diagnosed as having late stage Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma that had spread to many of his lymph nodes. He had operations, and kemo for about a year, and was finally told that he was cancer free. He went through hell to get to that point. And then about a year later he was diagnosed with 4th stage pancreatic cancer. The life expectancy for someone with that diagnosis is 3 to 6 months. He went for more treatments for a while, and then they could not do any more for him, but keep him as comfortable as possible. We put him in the ground last October. He left behind a good wife and three kids.

Alcohol not only is hard on your liver, it also significantly raises the probability of you having other very bad health problems. Did alcohol cause his cancers. No one will ever know for sure either way. But one thing he said to me while he was going through all the above problems is "If I had known how long I was going to live I would of taken better care of myself."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So consider that you may live a longer and healthier life without alcohol.

Last edited:
OP,
Now it is your fourth day.
You have to start somewhere!
Good luck it will get easier as time passes.
It has been 27 years for me.
I was a weekend warrior during my bad old days. Lots of lost time and memories.
After many false starts my sobriety started on a can't go a week bet with a co worker.
When sobriety clicks go with it.

Never been an Alky or a druggie but I have several friends clean and sober thanks to their decision to muster their strength to work on the problem and go to AA meetings. I have a long time friend that has been clean and sober for 33 years with help from AA. You can do it it is not easy though AA helps go for it !!!

Keep up the good work sir. I now drink a lot of water and exercise more and steer clear of any place that has alcohol. After seeing my uncle die of alcoholism at 50, I decided that wasn’t happening to me. Good luck to you friend 👍🇺🇸

I‘ve never drank in my life but I understand it’s a very slippery slope for some when they are stressed out, depression, anxiety, etc...

Keep up the good work and attend AA meetings like others have suggested.

Last edited:
Back