Sobriety

I never was a big consumer of any kind of alcohol, but every once in a while I use to stop Dorido's Restaurant and Bar in South Park known for there fish sandwich, and drowned the fish with cocktail sauce and would have 1 and 1/2 bottles of beer to go with the fish. And by drowned in cocktail sauce, I mean the bar tender would bring out two full squeeze bottles of cocktail sauce and put them in-front of me with the first beer before the sandwich was finished in the kitchen. I always tipped good so they would remember me and there was never any hassle about consuming soooo much cocktail sauce. The beer and fish sandwich was a good combination.

But back in 2006 my back doctor who had me get my liver function tested regularly told me that my liver function is OK but not great, and that with all the Tylenol and other meds I take for my back that I should never consume any alcohol. She said that she has seen patients with similar live function and consuming similar meds who drank only small amounts of alcohol and there liver went bad. So from then on I have not drank any alcohol. I tried ODoul's alcohol free beer with the fish sandwich but it was not any good. The fish sandwich swimming in cocktail sauce and a beer and a half was a good combination that I enjoyed, but I gave it up for my liver. Over the years there have been other foods that I have enjoyed that do not require an accompanying beer.

I saw drugs and alcohol growing up as mostly associated with low-lifes and degenerates, and didn't want that for myself. Now I think of all the benefits not drinking brings me, such as:

- better health
- extra money
- impossible to lose control and get yourself in trouble (DUI, fight, etc.)
- cleaner, simpler life overall

If you want to make a change in your life, any change that is, there are no shortcuts or magic tricks. You have to discipline yourself, be driven, and work hard. Self-help is usually BS. Just do it. If you can't it's because you don't want it that badly.

With that mentality you can accomplish most anything you want.

I only drink the following and for me it's more than enough:

- water
- coffee (straight black only)
- teas of various sorts (straight; no sugar or anything added)
- smoothies I make myself

Never had a drinking problem myself... but I can tell you from personal experience that people and situations can drag you down. If you're a social drinker, get away from the places and people who will cause you to be tempted and get with people who will support you. My cousin's son had to move to the middle of no where and live with an aunt for years to get clean of heroin. No saying you need that, but sometimes that's what it takes.

When I quit drinking , it was not a real big thing . My life situation changed to one where drinking was not a significant part of it .

When I quit smoking , a little bit of a different situation . My late Dad had to have vascular surgery on one of his legs , to repair a stopped up / blocked blood vessel . Of course , the doctors told him to quit smoking . I made a deal with him . I would quit if he did .

So , I quit , cold turkey . Was not so bad at work . Where I kept busy . At home , after work , I was alone , by myself ( I was still single , at that time ) . I felt like a caged animal . This lasted a week or two , before it got better .

I never had a drinking problem, but know people who did/do. You really have to want to stop, and take one day at a time. Thinking too far ahead got the people with drinking problems in trouble. Join a support group and get to the meetings. Good luck!!

Based on earlier posts it appears there is more than one member here who has “been there, done that” and is likely to be in a better position to provide advice and above all, SUPPORT.

RedLineOilUser - Good luck and best wishes moving forward

Last edited by a moderator:
Back