So this trucking company goes out of business.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
And doesn't have the heart to help get the drivers home.

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The sudden shutdown of Arrow Trucking Company left many drivers stranded, some far away from home, and all of them are looking for work just three days before Christmas.

Arrow Trucking is headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but has terminals across the country including here in Houston. It is a 60-year-old family run company.

The maintenance manager was the last one out Tuesday night. He didn't want to talk to us after what was a very depressing day.

Former Houston Arrow Trucking employee James Cooey did talk to us -- through the tears.

"I usually don't cry," said Cooey. "I ain't cried in years."

Cooey is still trying to grasp what happened. On Monday the fleet manager had a job, now he doesn't, but he still has a wife and two children to support.

"You go tell that beautiful little girl you can't give her everything she wants no more," he said.

Employees told us they were told Arrow Trucking was suspending operations. There would be no benefit packages, and trucks and trailers would be repossessed. Hundreds of drivers all across North America were told to leave their trucks where they were. The timing is the worst part.

"Three days before Christmas and you get the door slammed in your face. Nothing I can do than try to find another job," said truck driver Leroy Sam.

Employees say the company have offered no explanation.

James Cooey says he has lost his holiday spirit.

"What holiday?" he said. "We lost our jobs three days before Christmas."

Employees say about 100 workers lost their jobs in Houston.

The sudden shutdown of Arrow Trucking has left hundreds of others without jobs. Workers in Tulsa, Oklahoma, are cleaning out their vehicles. They say in the past, their payroll checks have bounced. Other drivers are stuck in Arizona because their fuel cards from the company don't work. That means they can't pay for the gas to drive their semis. Family members of drivers say those drivers are trying to sell anything they can just to return home.

Arrow Trucking's website says it has been in business since 1948 and that it runs a fleet of 1,400 tractors and over 3,000 trailers operating throughout the United States and in Canada and Mexico. The company is also described as one of the country's largest and most financially sound flatbed motor carriers. That information has since been removed from its website.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7184543

Talk about a raw deal. Some companies have stepped up to help atleast.

Schneider National:

Who:
If you are a stranded Arrow Trucking driver and need a ride home for the holidays, seek out a Schneider National driver. If a Schneider driver is headed in your direction, we’ll help get you home—or as close to home as possible. Schneider National, premier provider of transportation, logistics and intermodal services, is helping answer the call for help from drivers across the country, stranded after Tulsa, Okla.-based Arrow Trucking unexpectedly closed its doors on Tuesday, Dec. 22.

What: Schneider’s first mission is to help get the reported 1,400 stranded drivers home safely for the holidays. Once drivers are safe at home, Schneider’s focus will be on helping employ the displaced drivers.

Where: Headquartered in Green Bay, Wis., Schneider has 12,955 drivers and 24 operating centers across the United States.

When: Stranded Arrow drivers simply need to find one of Schneider’s drivers and ask if they’re headed in the same direction.

Why: If anyone knows how important it is for a truck driver to be home for the holidays, Schneider does.

Media Contacts:
Hiebing
Kim Stobb
(608) 256-6357 (o)
(920) 319-6728 (m)
[email protected]
or
Schneider National, Inc.
Janet Bonkowski, APR
(920) 592-2865 (o)
(920) 655-0381 (m)
[email protected]

http://www.benzinga.com/press-releases/b...tranded-drivers

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Sad

I wonder what is the main reason for the collapse?

The trucking industry is in peril right now because of the economy, low freight rates, and cut throat competition. Hundreds of trucking companies of folded up shop. Drivers are essentially treated like slaves these days.

I've really wanted to become a trucker, but I don't think I want to get in right now. Many drivers are earning less then what they'd make flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Last edited:
I think that's downright pathetic the way they handled this situation. Kudos to the other trucking company for offering a hand.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Sad

I wonder what is the main reason for the collapse?

Too many trucks, not enough freight and carriers that'll cut each others throat in order to take a load that they won't make any profit on.

Yeah, that pretty much covers it...

If you guys really want to see what's happening to our country, read some stories on the Truckers Report. Makes my blood boil.

The last time I drove past Werner's headquarters in Omaha, they were flying the Mexican flag and the Canadian flag next to the American flag. Does anyone else find that even mildly insulting???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If you guys really want to see what's happening to our country, read some stories on the Truckers Report. Makes my blood boil.

The last time I drove past Werner's headquarters in Omaha, they were flying the Mexican flag and the Canadian flag next to the American flag. Does anyone else find that even mildly insulting???

Not really...

It is common practice for companies that do business in multiple nations to fly the flags of the nations in which they operate. This is far from unusual, and there are plenty of US flags being flown in front of companies in other countries.

Now Mexican drivers operating across the US, that's another matter entirely...

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Now Mexican drivers operating across the US, that's another matter entirely...

That was mainly what I was getting at. It's different for a large multinational corporation with business in say, France, Germany, and the US to fly those flags, compared to one of the largest trucking companies flying the Mexican flag!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Some companies have stepped up to help atleast.

Schneider National:

My uncle who lives in Green Bay retired from Schneider. They are a really decent company (and that says something in comparison to the trucking industry).

I'm shocked to see that happen to Arrow. You see their trucks everywhere, but then again this is Houston. It's good to see Schneider step up to the plate that way.

Its a terrible way to leave someone stranded like that.

The news story makes it seem like the truckers are penny-less. They can't rent a car and drive it home, or get a flight/bus back home?

Nice to see the other trucking companies are being classy and helping out, but most car rental companies will rent a regular car for about $20 per day.

Quote:
Drivers are essentially treated like slaves these days.

As is anyone that breaks a certain total income threshold.

Quote:
Many drivers are earning less then what they'd make flipping burgers at McDonalds.

For the hours put in, absolutely. My spring water company driver is in the same boat. 60+ hours a week is standard. At least he can just run himself even more ragged and still get to assistant coach the little league team his boy is on.

I'm not sure how it's tiered now ...and where the margins are. I think somewhere in the mid+/- 40k on up to about 55k+/- (indexed for the regional cost of living) ..you're a slave. It's a prison that allows you just enough dual income potential to kill yourself buying into a decent life and killing yourself to maintain it.

I'm not sure where the overseer income falls. It could be $75k or $125k. I guess it depends on how many slaves you're in charge of. Sometimes they just use a less killed slave to run the others. The privilege of not killing yourself for the same money being the distinction.

Similar thing happened to a small trucking company in my hometown. Drivers were told to leave the trucks where they were, no explanations were given and no final paychecks were handed out. Drivers were expected to find their own way home. Company headquarter phone lines were disconnected or left unanswered.

Tough days for shipping companies it seems. Lots of competition and freight shipments have been way down recently. Luckily Schneider stepped up to help, there are plenty of truckstops in the US that are nowhere near a car rental facility.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Its a terrible way to leave someone stranded like that.

The news story makes it seem like the truckers are penny-less. They can't rent a car and drive it home, or get a flight/bus back home?

Nice to see the other trucking companies are being classy and helping out, but most car rental companies will rent a regular car for about $20 per day.

Not one way which it would be.

Go call ANY Rent a car company and get a one way rate. UNLESS they happen to have a car that NEEDS to go exactly when you need to go the rates will blow you away.

Far from $20 a day.

yeah, U-Haul used to end up with all kinds of stuff in Florida ..all from the northern states. They had to send handlers to put trailers inside of trailers, inside of box trucks, towing trailers with trailers inside them.

It was also why you got a penalty for car rental if the turn in was outside of the NYC metro "pool" if renting from something like Newark airport.

..and anyone getting a regular paycheck is merely 3 to 7 days from an empty checking account and no more than 90days away from bankruptcy ..maybe 120 if you can play hopscotch with the credit cards.

For Gary...
The overseer (visualizing the great VIC MORROW in Roots ) has been replaced by a silicon chip and former pizza delivery drivers who dispatch via various "optimistic" computer software and earn 60% of what the driver earns. This has enabled the real pigs at the top of the trough to steal even more from their wage slaves.

It's my understanding that next week the banks decide if Yellow-Roadway Express will continue operations into 2010? Next year s/b interesting but will probably create opportunities for smaller trucking operations albeit with the lesser benefit package. All of these companies truely work for slim margins as there's always some clown who borrowed way too much and will haul a load even if the break even just to keep the band playing. If you're reading this and are thinking about trucking... you need to first get any experience for a year, then get into a niche market being a driver for a company that HAULS it's OWN PRODUCT as you'll be treated better there.

Good move on "pumpkin's" (Schneider orange) part by offering rides as I'm certain they'll obtain the hitch-hiker's name addresss and telephone as he'll be needed when Schneider picks-up some of their former business??

Schneider is a first class operation. They were one of my better commercial trucking company customers. But good lord they have ugly trucks.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

..and anyone getting a regular paycheck is merely 3 to 7 days from an empty checking account and no more than 90days away from bankruptcy ..maybe 120 if you can play hopscotch with the credit cards.

Not everyone who gets a regular paycheck is close to bankruptcy in no matter xx number of days.

Now having the devil raise taxes to a point where they take over your house (you NEVER truly OWN it) because you can not afford them... Maybe.

But myself, NEVER close to bankruptcy. It's called planning. And not spending (wasting) money you don't have.

It starts with the term "it's only $xx more". Those $$ add up over the years.

Back to the OS... The trucking industry will be REALLY failing in the next few years with more rules and regs coming down the line. Trucking companies will not be able to meet the specs that are coming. Along with the work rules.

Tip of the iceberg folks...
frown.gif

Bill

PS: You can add the Airlines also in the we have seen nothing yet group....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back