So my dad doesn't approve all repairs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Critic, as you know and read, I posted my $1150 maintenance I just had done on my 2001 Civic in another forum here. You saw everything I had done, and that was for a heck of a lot more than what yours will cost. I'd say stand your ground and print out my post vs. yours. He may just say "What the heck is that idiot doing, spending all his money on prev. maint. parts that haven't even failed yet!?" and give you the money you need.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:
Mr. Critic, as you know and read, I posted my $1150 maintenance I just had done on my 2001 Civic in another forum here. You saw everything I had done, and that was for a heck of a lot more than what yours will cost. I'd say stand your ground and print out my post vs. yours. He may just say "What the heck is that idiot doing, spending all his money on prev. maint. parts that haven't even failed yet!?" and give you the money you need.

Big difference for you, is that all of the items you serviced are required per the owner's manual.

He only does owner's manual recommended maintenance and "other" items if they fail. So, in the past, he changes the oil every 7500 miles and keeps it topped up in between, and takes it in for the 30/60/90k services.

Brake fluid and Power Steering Fluid I could probably sell him, but coolant temperature sensor I'll have to remove it and show him that it's cracked before he'll replace...95% sure I can "sell" that one too.

But T-Stat, I don't think so.
frown.gif

Mike,

If he won't buy the temp sensor, consider buying it yourself for $10 instead of seeing a movie or something.

It's not a huge contribution (in addition to your considerable time), but he'll respect you for helping out, especially if you drive that car. Think of it as a gesture that'll buy you alot more goodwill with your dad than you might think.

You're a good guy to have around the family garage!

Mike, what would be Dad's reaction if you spent your own money for fixing things? What is your own opinion? It seems in your own interest, as well as your hobby, to learn about maintaining this car.

Was your dad born during the depression like mine?
He's got the "if it hasn't fallen off the car I'm not going to replace it" mentality.

The oil leak into the spark plug well can be fixed for quite a while using RTV.

If you remove the thermostat, you can test it by putting it in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer and heating it up until the thermostat begins to open. If it opens much below 180F, it should be replaced to prevent engine sludging.

Does he wait until the smoke detector makes its low battery beep before dealing with that too?
shocked.gif

The intake air temp sender is the same exact part on these cars, so you can have that ready to block the coolant from coming out. Change this part quickly and you'll only lose a couple tablespoons as long as the motor is stone cold.

Then you can inspect the old part for cracks and build your case. If all is well you can put that in the air intake tube and motor on...

Fortunately, I'm the master mechanic within my family and friends and even my dad has to count on me for expert advise RE: cars so building a case pose no problems for me.

But then again: I'm always on the "conservative" side when it comes to autorepair and servicing and whenever I see something that is not right, service call then...

Gee, if I had a son who wrote something like this, so complete and concise, right on the mark, very intelligent... I'd give him all that plus a $100 tip for being such a good kid. Then I'd pat myself on the back for raising him, and realize that I won't have to be supporting him when he's 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back