So How Are Runtime Hours Calculated / Estimated?

As title says, how are runtime hours calculated / estimated for yard machines with no hour meter? I have a 2003 Craftsman LT2000 I bought new in March 2003. It has the Kohler Command 17 HP engine (490cc) and 6-speed transmission, 42" deck. I've gotten my money's worth I guess. No major work; I've replaced battery, belts, both spindles, idler pulleys, and blades, and added tubes to all the (original) tires. I added a fuel cut-off valve, that IMHO should have been a factory-installed item. Seat is trashed and paint is chipped and faded now. It's ugly but still cuts.

My overall yard is 1 acre, flat, with probably 2/3 acre cutting area, and cutting season is usually mid March to mid November (8 months) in central Alabama. I mowed on average every 2 weeks, so 16 cuts per season, and it usually took me 1-1/2 to 2 hours to cut.

Is it simple math (16 cuts/year x 2 hrs/cut x 20 years = 640 hrs) or is it something else?

Yes, that's close enough. Hour meters that do come on lawn mowers don't differentiate between idle hours and run hours.

Yes, that's close enough. Hour meters that do come on lawn mowers don't differentiate between idle hours and run hours.
The one on my Ferris only counts hours when the blades are engaged. My Wright stander counts any time the engine is running whether the blades are engaged or not.

Back