So frustrated right now. Car troubles.

Gosh darn it all... I just figured out overnight that is not the poly trans mount that broke, it's something else. I'm thinking it's the bracket that holds the mount to the transmission. It went from making a clunk to jerking the whole car when going from D to R in a day flat. The bracket isn't broken either. I think it may be loose or stripped. I honestly don't know if this is old age or if the shop that rebuilt my transmission tightened down the nuts to much. It had vibrated at lower RPMS much more than I remember it doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear this. I know I’m going to get frustrated on mine, I’ve been putting off ordering suspension and TB parts, as I know it will tie up a weekend, and probably unveil new problems.

The joys of running something to the end…

Sorry to hear this. I know I’m going to get frustrated on mine, I’ve been putting off ordering suspension and TB parts, as I know it will tie up a weekend, and probably unveil new problems.

The joys of running something to the end…

That's what I'm doing. I told myself years ago I was to keep her until wheels fall off.

Because I've never heard of the bracket stripping out of of the side cover before. It could be something else but everything is pretty indicative of a broken mount or hardware that was fine. Stuffs been falling apart on this car nonstop since April.

You might get lucky and its just a loose or missing bolt or nut.

No offence to anyone. While many are fans of GM's mid and large front wheel drive cars that have a 3800 V6, everyone I know that had or has one has had to constantly throw parts at those cars. The engine itself is good, the rest of the car isn't. Those are the cars the cars that help keep Rock Auto and the auto parts stores in business.

Because I've never heard of the bracket stripping out of of the side cover before. It could be something else but everything is pretty indicative of a broken mount or hardware that was fine. Stuffs been falling apart on this car nonstop since April.
What does "the bracket stripping out of the side cover" mean exactly? No engine or transmission mount is bolted to a "cover", can you post pictures please?

It's pretty obvious when you can pull on a the mount and the whole thing moves slightly. Something isn't tight or it's stripped.
If you say so. Generally if a mount moves it’s a torn or broken isolator. I’ve just never seen a mount that was torn out of a cover.

You have to relax motor by loosing all mounts. If you had transmission repair I would not be surprised if they rested the weight on mounts. I have even moved engine with mounts loose to get rid of vibration at idle.

Is the OP's name, "3800Fan" all the background we get?

I'd've sought an, "easier to work on" 4 cyl. if I was going to drive a vehicle to wearout.
I'm going to guess that its a base Pontiac Firebird with the 3800 engine, and a manual transmission, because that would actually be interesting.

Sorry for the hiatus, I was ill. Two top bolts for the trans mount were loose so I tightened up only to have the same issue with the car bucking during gear engagement. I did however find my wiring harness ground wire all chewed up by rats but I don't think that was the problem. When I wasn't well I believe I overfilled the transmission and it recently caused a burning smell. I don't know a flush will help rectify the issue or if she's toast. I just know the line pressure is way too high when engaging gear.

Nothing happened to the car apparently. My uncle came and took a look at it and drove it around the neighborhood. Shifts fine and engages gear just fine. I was really out of it.

Car is officially retired. Engine is running hella lean and the rear spring for the struts broke and the back end is sagging badly. Coolant in the oil AGAIN after replacing LIM gasket means head gasket is blown. Also oil on spark plugs. I may just push it into the water and light it on fire for a proper viking burial. Believe it not the rear springs broke while I traveling down the interstate, heard a loud noise like something hit the car and then loud CRACK.

Last edited:
Back