P0172 - GM 4.2L L6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, recently had surgery and will be unable to do any repairs/maintenance for the next couple of weeks.

The engine mounts on my '05 Envoy with the 4.2L L6 needed replacement, the one on the passenger side was broken. Went ahead and bought GM OE engine mounts (P/N 15062381) and took it to a reputable guy I dealt with on a number of occasions before.

I stuck around while he replaced the driver's side, which was the more difficult one, and it took him all but 20 minutes. Wasn't feeling too well at that point, and had to leave. He said he was tasking the trainee with the passenger side, which is extremely straightforward, and I asked him to give me a call when it was done, and went to pick it up.

First thing I noticed after firing it up, idle speed was 900 rpm instead of 600 rpm. Thought maybe for some reason the battery was disconnected and the PCM had to relearn parameters. Roughly 10 miles into the drive home, the CEL comes on with a number of codes - P0131, P0135 and P0141. It also didn't drive right. Randomly, whenever the gas pedal is released the truck will buck/jerk, and do the same thing as soon as you get back on the gas. Sometimes it is extremely noticeable, sometimes not so.

Popped the hood when I got home - the upsteam oxygen sensor is on the passenger side, right above the engine mount. The wire hangs a bit loose, but the connector is pinned to a bracket on the upper passenger side of the engine. The trainee got the oxygen sensor wire caught in the socket, as he was tightening the engine mount nut and literally tore it off. The car recently had a tune up, and this oxygen sensor was 2 months old with less than 1,000 miles on it.

Really ticked off at this point, post surgery fatigue or not, I decide to tackle it myself. Got a GM OE upstream oxygen sensor (P/N 12586996) and a 10 amp mini fuse to replace #29 in the fuse box, which was toast. Also pulled the throttle body off to give it a good clean. Cleared the codes, pulled the PCM relay to reset KAM and fired it back up. Smooth as glass.

Drive it the next day, the bucking/jerking is still there. Feels almost like a standard car in the higher rpm range of second gear as you get on and off the gas, if that makes any sense. No CEL, no codes. But there was 1 code stored - P0172.

Checked the fuel trim on my AutoEnginuity with the Enhanced GM package, and the upstream sensor seems to be doing its job. The downstream oxygen sensor was stuck at the top of the graph, pegged at at 99.06%, and wouldn't move at idle or 2,500 rpm.

Not thinking very clearly with all the meds right now, but any input/suggestions/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

If the mechanic or his employee didn't reassemble everything correctly, it's up to him to correct the situation. You brought in a perfectly operating engine, and his assistant damaged your new O2 sensor. He must fix it free of charge to get it back to where it was when you brought it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back