So Ford Is Moving Back To Dex-Cool Country....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was perusing the owners manual for the 2011 Ford Mustang, and the coolant specified for the new, Triton-based 5.0l V8 "Coyote" engine and the 3.7l V6 is "Ford Specialty Orange Coolant" which is Dex-cool. The new-for North America Transit Connect and the new F-Series Diesel and gas engines also uses this coolant.

I guess if the engine is designed around Dex-Cool coolant, it should be OK? Wonder why Ford seems to be moving away from the GO-5. Maybe global standardization? But some of the 2010's like the Taurus are using new "Dark Green" WSS-M97B55-A. Very strange.

Owners Manuals available HERE.

"Orange-colored engine coolant meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D (Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent - VC-3-B)"

"Dark green-colored engine coolant meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B55-A (Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent, VC-10-A2)"

My 2002 E-150 XLT with towing package came with Dex Cool, in fact it is still sitting outside with the factory fill of it and the coolant still looks good. I think that stuff is some of the best coolant ever made.

However, I am thinking about buying a Dodge Challenger SRT8 next year and if I do I will drain whatever it has and put the Evans waterless PG in it and go to a reduced pressure cap. The PG in direct contact with the metal is resistant to boiling to 400*F.

The only down side I see is while traveling if you need to add coolant you are out of luck - water contaminates Evans it said

"The only down side I see is while traveling if you need to add coolant you are out of luck - water contaminates Evans it said"

Yes, you would have to make sure you have a spare gallon with you, but it would have to be a damage situation to probably need to add anything. Since you put a 4lb radiator cap on with the stuff, you are never going to create enough pressure to have a leak unless you create enough cylinder head pressure to blow a head gasket, or have a water pump bearing fail.

My neighbor has a 572 Chevrolet in a '70 Chevelle, and he said that it ran hot (210*) with EG and a new Be Cool radiator. He drained everything and put the Evans in it with a 4lb. cap and he said it runs about 180* idling for a long time. The stuff is much more efficient.

Just because it is orange/red colored does not mean it is DexCool...dexcool is an OAT coolant...Mopar coolant is the same color but has a slightly different formulation (HOAT) that does not have the problems associated with dex cool.

Originally Posted By: brsmith

My neighbor has a 572 Chevrolet in a '70 Chevelle
oh wow. my that's a big motor.

Dexcool is fine if the engine is designed around it-OAT resistant gaskets, pressurized reservoir. It's what more than likely ends up put in most vehicles when they get serviced anyway. Dexcool is entrenched now and all new cars should be designed around the use of Dexcool IMO.

Originally Posted By: ps49556n
Just because it is orange/red colored does not mean it is DexCool...dexcool is an OAT coolant...Mopar coolant is the same color but has a slightly different formulation (HOAT) that does not have the problems associated with dex cool.

From researching this, the Ford orange is a OAT, the new dark green is a HOAT, and the GO-5 gold seems to be in-between a HOAT/OAT and coventional silicated-green.

Yeah Ford speciality orange coolant is Dexcool, new Green is probably Japanese EL P-OAT coolant, and G-05 is old G-05 a borderline HOAT.

"The only down side I see is while traveling if you need to add coolant you are out of luck - water contaminates Evans it said"

Yes, you would have to make sure you have a spare gallon with you, but it would have to be a damage situation to probably need to add anything. Since you put a 4lb radiator cap on with the stuff, you are never going to create enough pressure to have a leak unless you create enough cylinder head pressure to blow a head gasket, or have a water pump bearing fail.

My neighbor has a 572 Chevrolet in a '70 Chevelle, and he said that it ran hot (210*) with EG and a new Be Cool radiator. He drained everything and put the Evans in it with a 4lb. cap and he said it runs about 180* idling for a long time. The stuff is much more efficient.
210 is no where near hot.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I guess if the engine is designed around Dex-Cool coolant, it should be OK? Wonder why Ford seems to be moving away from the GO-5. Maybe global standardization? But some of the 2010's like the Taurus are using new "Dark Green" WSS-M97B55-A. Very strange.

The WSS-M97B55-A spec is an Asian-style OAT, the type used in Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, Subaru, Mazda and other Asian brands. I am assuming this entered the Ford product stream through Mazda-engined and Mazda-designed vehicles. The green color just goes to show you that basing your coolant choice on color is not wise.

The orange WSS-M97B44-D spec dates back to the '99 Mercury Cougar and has been used in Ford products that originate in Europe. It is a DexCool style OAT and has been in the Ford parts catalog for years.

This use of multiple coolants shows that Ford is sourcing parts, assemblies, and designs world-wide.

It is also demonstrates the danger of basing coolant choices on color.

However, I am thinking about buying a Dodge Challenger SRT8 next year and if I do I will drain whatever it has and put the Evans waterless PG in it and go to a reduced pressure cap. The PG in direct contact with the metal is resistant to boiling to 400*F.

You COULD do that- nothing wrong with Evans.

But the SRT-8 already has G-05, which is about the best water-based antifreeze available IMO. Why would you want to get rid of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back