Snowskiing

Do you snowski?

It's something I've always wanted to learn, but, being from West Tennessee, there aren't many places nearby to go, and neither my parents, nor anyone else in my family ski.

I think it would be a ton of fun, and it's also something I want to be able to take my kids to do eventually, though my oldest is only 9 mos.

I know there are a couple of places that aren't too far from Middle Tennessee, where I live now (Lawrenceburg, IN, near Cincinnati, Ober Gatlinburg, in East TN, are both about 4 hrs drive).

I'm doing a lot of rollerblading now, which I understand is great cross-training for snowskiing.

Anyone here who didn't grow up skiing, and then learned as an adult?

Anyone skied in Lawrenceburg or Gatlinburg?

I've snow skied my whole life, despite living outside STL. It truly is a fantastic sport. I would recommend making the trek out to the Rockies, because skiing in the Midwest truly does not come close.

Just like rollerblading, skiing is all about weight distribution between your feet. I suspect that you would catch on very quickly. Start on the novice hills and practice slowing down and stopping first. Then practice speed control and turning. From there , move on to the steeper slopes at your discretion.

If I were you, I would skip rentals and just pick up some good used equipment. (Ive found quality boots at a Goodwill in Colorado for $10, ymmv). If you end up hating it (you won't) just post all of it for sale and recoup your money.

Give me a call.

I learned in college, from my girlfriend who was on the ski team.

That was 40 years ago. It’s been a big part of my life since. I’ve skied all over North America.

My kids are all skiers (one is even Captain of her college ski team) and grew up skiing in Stowe, VT.

It’s a great pursuit. More than a sport, a lifetime activity.

I live in Colorado where there is some of the best skiing in the world.
I've never tried it and have no interest.

Skiing is fun, especially when you learn how to do it well and it 'feels' right, as corny as that sounds. But it can be VERY frustrating learning how to do it and being clipped into long skis with stiff boots at the top of a big slippery hill is pretty intimidating for beginners. There is quite a bit of equipment to deal with, too. Snowboarding just seemed so much easier and possibly more fun but I never tried it.

I used to work at Raichle 30 years ago so I go burned out on it early. lol

I've skied, and have lived near some great ski resorts most of my life. I haven't skied regularly in a long time, as other hobbies take up too much time. Some of the roads to ski resorts make for great riding, however.

Last week. It snowed about a foot there that night.

IMG_20211011_132657.jpg

Last edited:
Love it. Living in Calgary, we skied at Sunshine, Lake Louise, Nakiska ( home of the 1988 Winter Olympics) and now we are a half hour from Kimberley Apline Resort and and 90 minutes from both Fernie and Panorama. Whitefish in Montana was also a lot of fun for a getaway. The thing to remember is it’s not always blue skies and great views. It can get grey and dismal so bundle up!

Be careful! It can be addicting! I live 13 mins from a ski mountain. My 16-year-old will ski (mostly park) 90 days per season, some days are 10-12 hours, and he uses the ski lift +1500x per season and that does not count the countless times he hikes back to the top of the park section without using the lift. This does not include a half-dozen trips to other NE mountains and he went to a ski camp this summer in Oregon at Mt. Hood in July. I want his life...

I started skiing when I was 8. Both cross-country and downhill. I’ve skied all over a North America. Now that I’m retired I spent 20 days consecutively skiing at Alta each March.

Skiing has been I lifelong passion.

I grew up in a ski town however did not learn barely till 14 years old and embarrassed to ski with expert friends so did not really learn till I turned 18 really . I bought season pass entire college 5 years and ended up doing 45 days at mountain/year with group of experts into Mogul skiing. I drove 2hrs to get to the mountain from university and beat myself up first year learning on advanced expert trails with names like Agony, White heat but clicked. Also breaking my old hand me ski boot from stress elevated my skiing once I got a comfortable and decent pair of boots on.

Photo from ski buddy recently of me in college:
1634564140679.jpg

Mountain is irrelevant to learn except the condition of snow for first time and having an okay beginner slope. The better ones have a conveyor belt to get you up as tow ropes, t bars and even a chair lift can pose a challenge for a brand new skier.

What kills it for people trying the sport:
1) Poor fitting equipment boots (borrowing ill fitting or old equipment). Make sure you are comfy at rental shop
2) Poor weather first day out (excessive cold, rainy, wet etc)
3) Poor conditions like ice or mountain having poor beginner area

I ski on Powder days all over New England as I have flex in job. It turns out to be about 10-20 days per year at age 50. I do spend a week yearly skiing in Utah also.

I agree with a lot of this. Buy used equipment to start and get out there regularly as soon as possible. That way you will be strong and proficient enough when it's time to teach your kids.

You'll be able to learn. You're just going to have to commit to it. Going two or three times a year won't do anything for you.

Only advise I have is look where you want to go,
DO NOT V PLOW or pizza cut to slow down. if an instructor wants to teach you that find a new instructor.
best thing i've ever done teaching beginners how to ski is tie their boots together with a belt or rope.
i've skied all over the world. I first learned when I was 3 on the San Fransisco peaks in Flagstaff AZ.

I've been skiing since I was a kid. Used to do crazy stuff, but scaled back as I got older.

My college buds and I used to frequent Tuckerman Ravine. Yes, those are rocks you have to jump/clear....
It was not uncommon to ski in shorts and a T shirt in early Spring.

TuckermanCapture.JPG

I do Alpine skiing and snowboarding, cross country and waterskiing. I started out on a skateboard at age five. I'm.good at balance sports. California is great for all outdoor sports and anybody who lives here and doesn't make use of what's being offered is missing out.

If you start downhill skiing as an adult you can get the basics down in a couple days and after a couple skiing seasons you'll do okay. I know lots of people in their 70s who still ski really well.

Last edited:
Only advise I have is look where you want to go,
DO NOT V PLOW or pizza cut to slow down. if an instructor wants to teach you that find a new instructor.
best thing i've ever done teaching beginners how to ski is tie their boots together with a belt or rope.
i've skied all over the world. I first learned when I was 3 on the San Fransisco peaks in Flagstaff AZ.
VPLOW is a core basic of competent skiing. I am advanced expert and find myself using that very technique to stop or scrub speed on the goat paths I take to get access into trees.

Back