Snowskiing

I'm going to discourage the OP unless he were to live near a ski resort.

There's an adage however, skiing is easy to learn but hard to master whereas snowboarding is hard to learn but easy to master. Of the two, for an infrequent activity, skiing would be the better option.

I can ski but prefer snowboarding. My friends who can do both, also prefer snowboarding. I'm highly skilled snowboarder having lived in some ski towns in my life, where I could get 30+ days on the mountain in a season. That's what you need to get really good and enjoy it fully IMO. If you live near actual ski areas and can go regularly, I would say absolutely yes do it. Many of my top life experiences were on the slopes. I've boarded at 20+ resorts, 5 states, and New Zealand, hundreds of days on the mountains. I went Heliboarding in New Zealand and it was amazing... Here's some pictures I took on the Heliboarding trip, and some others of me at various mountains. I miss living somewhere with excellent mountains for snowboarding since travel has gotten too difficult. :(

But if you live in a region where skiing is infrequent or difficult to get to, I'd probably suggest something else unless you have significant time and money. The issues are, as a novice, when you factor long travel, expensive lodging, the cost of equipment that gets used infrequently (or rentals), and just daily lift tickets, the cost is many thousands of dollars for a weekend or week. You'll spend significant time and money for your returns IMO.

Example for a family of 4:
Flight 4x$300 = $1200
Lodging 1 week @$200 daily x5 = $1000
Lift tickets x20 @$100 daily = $2000
Equipment $500 each x 4 = $2000
Beginner lessons @$100 x4 = $400
Plus extras ?? $$1000-5000 depending...
That's well over $6000 for a 5 day vacation, plus 2 days travel

Attachments

• New Zealand (389).jpg
    New Zealand (389).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 4
  • New Zealand (394).jpg
    New Zealand (394).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 227020_10150588812905641_5361439_n.jpg
    227020_10150588812905641_5361439_n.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 4
  • New Zealand (476).jpg
    New Zealand (476).jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 4
  • New Zealand (503).jpg
    New Zealand (503).jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 4
  • snowboard jump closeup 2.JPG
    snowboard jump closeup 2.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 4
  • snowboard jump closeup.JPG
    snowboard jump closeup.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I will also stress that skiing and snowboarding have gotten insanely popular and if you want the best experience avoid the weekends and weekend crowds and only go on weekdays. At most resorts I've been to the weekend crowds are now pushing the limits of the capacity most resorts can handle for enjoyment or safety.

When you are a novice it is very scary and frustrating to be so crowded and having skilled riders fly past you. The advantage of being good is to get off the front of the mountain and get to the back side and find little expert pockets to avoid crowds. But also, when I plan my trips, I plan only week days and avoid weekends entirely.

Skiing at a nice mountain like Killington in Vermont with a group of friends is certainly fun, but the skiing was always secondary to just being there and having fun, especially the nightlife. Beer never tastes better than after a long day of skiing in the sunshine then relaxing in a lodge near a fire or in a rented condo's hot tub.

Ever jump out of a jacuzzi, make snow angels and jump back in? Not recommended. lol

I'm going to drown! A shark will eat my leg! I'll break my neck! I'll get poked in the eye - oh wait!

It's just another panic Monday (Woah, woah)
I wish it was Sunday (Woah, woah, woah, woah)
'Cause that's my fun day (Woah, woah)
It's just another panic Monday

:eek:

Tried snow skiing in mid teens and kept falling on the backside . So , took up snowmobiling . That way sit on seat and let the skis guide you . Haven't been on an snowmobile since late 70s' . To cold for the ol' bones .

Last edited:
Back