snowblower h60 engine oil black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have replaced the engine oil for the third time now since christmas (about 5 hours running time in total) and the oil has been a dark grey/black colour each time. I always have used 5W30 since I inherited the blower from my father-in-law last summer who I suspect never really looked after it. I suspect worn rings, since this snowblower was made in 1977. The compression is around 125 PSI and exhaust is clean with no oil loss at all.
Any thoughts as to why it is so dark?

Could be running really rich. Check the spark plug and piston top for tons of soot. I'd also keep doing what you're doing, constantly changing the oil... might flush some more gunk out.

probably rich.

look on the borrom of the fuel bowl on the tecumseh and theres a screw and holding spring. you need to turn this clockwise a little bit at a time while snow blowing to get the air-fuel ratio more along with lines of optimal.

try turning it 1/8th turn clockwise and use the snowblower for 5 mins, then try another 1/8th and so on untill it starts running rough. at this point back off the screw 1.8th untill it runs good again.

I have adjusted the main jet(base of bowl) to the point that ,in my opinion, runs to the best of its capabilities. It runs extremely well with the odd hiccup every now and then but nothing too disconcerting. Inspection of the spark plug shows it to be a little sooty.

Does this thing take about 19oz. (570ml) of oil?

I would definitely run some fuel system cleaner through it!!!

I don't know what's available to you up there, but as long as you store it inside, cranking over a SAE 30 should be no problem.

I'd go with Delo 400 SAE 30 over the 5w-30. It's available at AutoZone down here and should work great in this application!

To Jelly
The snowblower sits outside generally. Two days ago, it was a balmy -33C.
To Brett Miller
Can you explain the difference between the J17LM the engine currently runs with and the J19LM you suggest?

Hmmm...from what I've read, the RJ-17LM (Champion) or 245 (Autolite) gapped at .030 is the correct plug for this application.

Well, I don't believe you'll be using SAE 30.

I'd just buy a good 5w-30 and run a strong fuel system cleaner through it.

The J19LM is one step hotter than a J17LM. Briggs and Stratton changed to them for all flatheads to help deal with today's lower quality gas.

If you snowblower is like my 5 year old craftsman. It probably has no are cleaner. I suspect they suck in some water as the snow blows around. I've noticed a grayish streaks in the oil when changing it. It doesn't get black though.

So the gray may be some water. Maybe your carb needs to be rebuilt after 28 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back