Snow Tires Without Studs Are Worthless.

I would rather they ban salt on the roads and make winter tires mandatory, to keep all our cars from rusting! And a set of winters is cheaper than having to replace a rusted out car before its time.
They actually don’t use salt here that much. Our snow in front range is gone in few days and roads are ok as soon as sun comes out. This was two day event as second day temperatures dropped to -20 at night and around 0 during the day. But today was 31, and roads are almost dry.

They actually don’t use salt here that much. Our snow in front range is gone in few days and roads are ok as soon as sun comes out. This was two day event as second day temperatures dropped to -20 at night and around 0 during the day. But today was 31, and roads are almost dry.

In Alberta they don't salt all that much because it's usually too cold for salt to work. Although some cities experimented with some weird salt concoction for a few years before they cancelled that. They spread dirt and gravel instead so you have to keep repairing and replacing windshields from the rocks that are thrown up. It's still easier and cheaper than fixing rust.

I'm originally from southern Ontario where they us a TON of salt. Cars rust like crazy there.

Folks who don't want to swap between Winters and Summer/All-Seasons should get those new All-Weather tires with the 3PMSF rating. OEMs should offer them as an option on new cars. It would make everyone on the road safer.

My Hyundai Accent winter beater with Michelin XIce and a 5 sp manual is a gas in the snow. Just don't go too deep or get flat footed at the wrong rpm.

It will walk away from most 4wd on the highway if you want.

disagree. im in MA and got caught on both recent snow storms and ice storms driving for hours. i have Michelin LTX on my 3rd gen pilot and on snow mode the car struggle during the first light snow storm we had as i live at the top of a dead end street.
i decided to get some Haka R3 for the car and the car drives in the snow and ice like is not snowing and ice outside. yes the pilot has AWD but with the LTX the car didnt like snow.

disagree. im in MA and got caught on both recent snow storms and ice storms driving for hours. i have Michelin LTX on my 3rd gen pilot and on snow mode the car struggle during the first light snow storm we had as i live at the top of a dead end street.
i decided to get some Haka R3 for the car and the car drives in the snow and ice like is not snowing and ice outside. yes the pilot has AWD but with the LTX the car didnt like snow.
They are not winter tires, so…

M+S rating is simply a measure of rubber/void ratio. Nothing more. Certainly not the same as winter.

I’ve got them on my truck. Fine tires all around. Pretty good winter traction for all seasons.

Not even close to what my Blizzak truck tires were like in real snow. No comparison. The Blizzaks had considerably greater traction.

They are not winter tires, so…

M+S rating is simply a measure of rubber/void ratio. Nothing more. Certainly not the same as winter.

I’ve got them on my truck. Fine tires all around. Pretty good winter traction for all seasons.

Not even close to what my Blizzak truck tires were like in real snow. No comparison. The Blizzaks had considerably greater traction.
are you saying hakka R3 are not winter tires?

Michelin LTX are not winter tires.

Krzys
i have defender LTX tires. from their website

Tire Features​

• Evertread™ compound helps the MICHELIN® Defender® LTX® M/S last 10% longer in severe conditions than the MICHELIN® LTX® M/S2.*Footnote One
  • The MICHELIN® Defender® LTX® M/S tire offers shorter wet stopping distances and better snow traction than leading competitive long-warranty tires.**Footnote Two
  • MaxTouch Construction™ helps the MICHELIN® Defender® LTX® M/S save you up to 65 gallons of fuel over the life of the tire, compared to a leading competitive tire.***
they are not winter tires but all season. and they are not good at snow driving. the snow tires are better. OPs argument is that studless winter tires are not any better than all seasons

Last edited:
Back