Snow Shovel recommendations?

Thinking about buying a snow Shovel before they go out of stock, I'm pretty sure I'll need one, are there any hidden gems that I need to know about? I appreciate a quality product that isn't going to break but also don't want to over pay

This looked kind of interesting but it always seems you can find tons of negative reviews for anything which is why I'm not sure.

The Snowplow "the Original Snow Pusher" 24" Wide Model 50524 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BVC0P6...abc_8KT8NM0T25VSECDHV5CG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

No recommendations as far as a specific brand or model. Plastic is of course lighter than a steel blade, but will wear faster. If you don't use it a lot or the surface isn't very abrasive, this may not be a big deal for you. I find that as plastic blades wear, they develop a blunt edge that is no good for scraping ice or packed snow from the surface. A steel blade will be the most durable and will keep a good edge, but is heavy if you're using it to lift or throw the snow. The plastic shovels with a metal edge riveted on are ok at first, but the rivets wear and the strip falls off, then you have a plain old plastic shovel.

I use a wide steel blade for pushing and scraping, and a second, narrower bladed plastic shovel (18" or so) to lift and throw.

YMMV.

I got this Wovel knockoff on Amazon last year, but it doesn't seem to be available now. The wheel is crooked, but it still works good.

If you're willing to spend the money, a shovel with two wheels is probably better than a shovel with one wheel.

If you still don't want a wheeled shovel or to spend the money, this shovel from Grainger is a good choice.

When you say shovel, the answer depends on what you are shoveling, how much snow, what kind of snow, and whether you want to scrape as clean as possible.

I use an aluminum grain shovel for throwing snow. A 24" wide steel scraper for small events and cleanup. A flat garden shovel for real scraping. An ice chopper when needed.

Me and plastic shovels don't work - ill break them all - except for the type you linked to. Good luck!

When you say shovel, the answer depends on what you are shoveling, how much snow, what kind of snow, and whether you want to scrape as clean as possible.

I use an aluminum grain shovel for throwing snow. A 24" wide steel scraper for small events and cleanup. A flat garden shovel for real scraping. An ice chopper when needed.

Me and plastic shovels don't work - ill break them all - except for the type you linked to. Good luck!
Just a small residential home with a two car wide driveway. I have a small set of concrete steps as well going from the driveway to the front door

You have 2 types of shovels... one is a shovel, that is shaped and has capacity to hold snow so that you can chuck it in the direction you want.

then there are "plow" type, to push on the driveway (or walkway) in order to push snow to an area.

Those, iirc are the 2 main types. Some companies try to make "hybrid" snow shovels to emulate both, but I've never seemed to like them.

So, I would buy both types, and use them accordingly.

For example, when the plow comes through and creates a wall of snow across your driveway, the plow type shovel would not be useful, because it's really not made for that function, you want a shovel type to carry snow from that wall of snow to your yard. When the wall is down to say a few inches, then you can finish with the plow type shovel.

I like the big aluminum scoop shovels. Had one for years and they don't really break unlike cheaper shovels. They've gone up in price though, I remember getting one years ago for about $40. There's a few on Amazon that are more like $60+.

I’ll 3rd the aluminum scoop shovel. There’s not many items more versatile than one of those. My employer buys them in bundles as we move millions of pounds of different seed varieties every year.

I get the pusher type, but the plastic ones. Much lighter, and they slide much easier than the metal ones which catch on everything and have more resistance on say concrete or pavement.

I buy them from my local mom and pop ACE hardware. Much more durable with better handles than any of the Amazon junk.

Like others have said, you really need two types of snow shovels.
1) Pusher
2) Scoop

I would also suggest -
* An ergonomic handle - this eliminates having to bend over to far
* Raised sides on the shovel so the snow does not fall off the sides

I’ve got the 36” version of the Snow Plow you linked. It works great for quickly clearing a large area as long as it’s not too wet or deep. The 24” will let you use it in deeper, heavier snow. It’s well made and works great for times I don’t want to get the snowblower out. Highly recommend.

The Snowplow in either 24 or 36" depending on how much area you need to clear, use that to move the bulk of the material to the edges and then use a scoop style (grain shovel) type to throw it up the banks. Often I'll use the snowplow to push everything over to one side and use the snowblower to make a pass and blow it up over the banks, not unusual to have 4' or taller banks around my driveway though.

I am another who uses a grain/scoop shovel. I have been using these for many many years. In my opinion they kick snow shovels asses. I use a plastic shovel as I cannot stand the sound of metal scraping concrete.

Don

I am another who uses a grain/scoop shovel. I have been using these for many many years. In my opinion they kick snow shovels asses. I use a plastic shovel as I cannot stand the sound of metal scraping concrete.

Don
I like the aluminum one because that also lets you attack ice. Mine has gotten a little dented over the years but it's still fine. I would think the plastic would crack or wouldn't work that well against ice.

I like the aluminum one because that also lets you attack ice. Mine has gotten a little dented over the years but it's still fine. I would think the plastic would crack or wouldn't work that well against ice.
The plastic ones are very sturdy. They work great on ice. I even use them as ice choppers. I bought my first scoop shovel in 1998. Just replaced it two years ago. The edge of the shovel was cracked and chipped but was still working well. After 20 years the plastic was getting brittle though. I bought two new scoops from Lowes. Craftsman brand. Heavy duty and I expect them to last forever. Most of my snow removal will be with a brand new Ariens snowblower. The shovels will be used on light snow and steps

Don

Snow Shovel recommendations ,, honestly the best would be to move where it doesn't Snow !! Some people like the Snow though.​

I have a combo with ergonomic handle, works for pushing snow into a pile or scooping steps etc, and only $20.

Note that one has just a small curve in the handle. I had read those are better than the ones with the big, practically 90-degree curve that look more ergonomic but aren't. I happened to get one with a big curve, and about the only good use I've found for it is shoveling say a sidewalk and wanting to throw lighter snow to the side a very short height and distance. It's the best tool sometimes, but rarely.

Kind of weird seeing the price of some basic shovels costing the same as an electric shovel. Anyway, I'll say similar as others: a shovel is best sometimes, and a pusher is best sometimes. A shovel can be used as a second-rate pusher, but a pusher usually can't be used as a shovel.

I have a decent pusher for moderate snow.

IMG_20211119_145513883[1].jpg

Back