Leveling a post & beam barn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I 'm looking for something similar to level out some crusher run base for a metal building.

I like the laser one you linked, the water one just looks like a pain to use and move.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I 'm looking for something similar to level out some crusher run base for a metal building.

I like the laser one you linked, the water one just looks like a pain to use and move.

We used some kind of hose level when I helped my Dad build an inground pool in 1965.

Water levels are super, super easy to build. You do need the water to be a little soapy, and colored.

Washer fluid with some more blue food coloring and a little dish soap works great inside the vinyl tubing.

You only need about 1/2 a quart.

You can have as many hoses/measuring points AS YOU LIKE. The just all have to be "T"d or "Y"d together

We used an inexpensive Black and Decker laser mounted on a homemade swivel set at the desired height. The concrete contractor laughed when he saw it and set up his new green laser which lined up exactly with our marks. The bottom 6 inches or so of our posts rotted so we built footings and forms for concrete up to the posts. The barn is more than 225 years old but is very much worth saving.

I got a Makita which throws the line angle more, amazon sells it for 129. They have another brand that throws vertical and horizontal lines 360 degrees for 111. Seeing the posts vertical and the cross beam at the same time makes it easier and better. The laser has to be at the height of the beam. That 52 dollar one is a lot for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back