Snow Shovel - Metal or Plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen a metal snow shovel for sale in my area for 15 years. Plastic is lighter, and won't bent like metal or aluminium. I just threw out an old aluminium shovel that was heavy and bent up and had been taking up space inmy shed. Plastic is best, and then use a steel coal shovel for ice or hard packed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: helix_rider
I went looking today and over half of the ones I was were plastic.

Well - should've said "I went looking today and over half of the ones I saw were plastic."

Oops - I spelled saw backwards, at least I got the letters correct.
21.gif

Anyway, yes - a wide variety of opinions here. I'm still leaning toward the metal shovels. We don't get a lot of snow here, but when we do it's often accompanied by Ice. That's the main reason for looking at the Metal varieties.

Now i'm not opposed to the plastic versions (especially with the metal strip), but I want to buy something that's going to last a while.

Thank you all for the comments & suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited:
+1 I always keep a Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel in the 4 Runner.

I've used this shovel year round and not just in the winter. For winter use it is great for chopping ice, if you happen to get stuck in on a patch of ice in a parking spot. Just keep it filed, honed and razor sharp. It also makes a great machete when camping.

http://www.coldsteel.com/spshovel.html

Originally Posted By: dparm
Go buy a backpacking/camping shovel. They typically collapse but are super-strong and lightweight. I keep mine in the spare tire well. So far I have never needed to use it.

Mine is an Eddie Bauer one made of anodized aluminum. It's collapsible and comes with a small bag.

Right here

Power of a heavy shovel, but the volume of a snow shovel.

shovel.jpg

Sears has them.

I repaint mine every year so the snow releases completely.

Just like my OPE, I rehab cast-offs. I have 3 old aluminum snow shovels that I have rescued and repaired as necessary. I also have 3 or 4 D handled coal shovels that fit neatly in the trunks. They are what you need to dig through crusted snow banks, that AL or plastic wont touch. I clear my front walk with a rehabbed ergonomic shovel. My back likes it.

I have a number of snow shovels, depending on the type of snow. My main two are aluminum with a steel edge. I've had them for over 20 years. Each one is on its fourth edge. I keep replacing the edges in my "blacksmith" shop.

Metal shovels get bent up because people abuse them by chipping at ice with the corner of the shovel. A coal shovel is needed for that kind of duty.

I also put a D-handle on each shovel. Otherwise you have no control when the edges catch and spill the snow.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
+1 I always keep a Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel in the 4 Runner.

I've used this shovel year round and not just in the winter. For winter use it is great for chopping ice, if you happen to get stuck in on a patch of ice in a parking spot. Just keep it filed, honed and razor sharp. It also makes a great machete when camping.

http://www.coldsteel.com/spshovel.html

LOL that is a good video. All these guys trying to turn a shovel into a killing item... Not one image of anyone actually digging a hole with it...

I've used it to dig holes with the shovel and also to break up ice around the tires and it works well for that purpose. Since I've got 4 wheel drive, snow removal is really not an issue....but ICE is another story.

For actual snow removal, I'd pick another shovel for that heavy duty. I bring this shovel into the woods when camping out since it's very versatile. It's the kind of shovel your glad to have handy for any unexpected situation.

Actually, I have quite a quiver of various shovels and ice choppers for various purposes. The plastic ones are my bread and butter for getting rid of the snow quickly right after it falls, but I've got some steel and aluminum ones for when things harden up, and a small backpacking shovel that rides in the trunk of my car. Pushers aren't much help for me because there is almost no where to push the snow on my city street--it is dig and carry, dig and carry, dig and carry, dig and ..... You get the idea. That's why weight matters to me. Also, I like the plastic shovel on the roof so there is less chance of damaging the surface.

Metal for me, I'm a hamfisted shoveler. I do have a small plastic one I keep in the car that I got at one of the big hardware chains, either Ace or Lowes, that's worked well when I've needed it.

I have a steel blade shovel that scrapes pavement bare. Love it. I have an aluminum scoop shovel for lifting and throwing large amounts. Haven't found a plastic that lasts more than a few snowfalls.

Originally Posted By: Warlord
I have a steel blade shovel that scrapes pavement bare. Love it. I have an aluminum scoop shovel for lifting and throwing large amounts. Haven't found a plastic that lasts more than a few snowfalls.
Yah, cast off plastic shovels are my source for handles

I forgot to mention that my shovel is a "coal shovel", as JHZR2 said. The best trick is to respray it with fresh paint every year, so the snow detaches easily. Makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back