Snow blower oil

HI, was just wondering if I could get some feedback here...
Got a Craftsman 8hp Tecumseh thrower, just changed the head gasket & dumped the dirty oil.
Did a quick search & saw that there are some "specific" oils for throwers, made by Toro for example.
My question is, are they just a gimmic & name, to deter you from using regular 5w30 M1? I am highly doubting that there could be something in there that'll make a small air cooled engine run "better".
As this thrower is older, I figure I'll go with 5w30, I do have 0w20 on hand too.
Let me know, snow is about to fly!

Also in the whatever 5w-30/frankenbrew is laying around after changing the car oil/topping off the mower. Mine is a little 5.5hp yard machines originally sold in '94, new to me in 2011. It's lucky if it gets changed annually.

In cold climates, always like the ability to start my engines and always used synthetic. Don't want to strain a starter/battery or break a pull rope.

I'd recommend a synthetic 5w30. And, since you're up North, you can even consider the 0w30's and 0w40's.

I'm still a little ol' fashioned and prefer my zddp in smaller and older engines.

I wonder what they overdose to make a conventional oil a 'winter' conventional oil. Great marketing. Why not just use synth?

Petro-Can has you covered for stout 5w30 or 0w30

There is never a need for anything until there is a need. I prefer to avoid needing.

That Techumseh is not hard on oil. It just wants to be full! I put 17 years on mine before I upgraded to a tractor blower.

I used everything from 5w30 to 10w30 HM In multiple brands and never had an issue. Keep it full and motor on.

Just my $0.02

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. Really appreciate it.
I don't think I have any conventional oil around, so I'll use M1 5W30. Seems it doesn't take much anyway!
End of the year & haven't had to use it yet, but I'll fill'er up & see what happens!
Thanks again!

Since air cooled engines cannot control their temps, in the winter, you really don't need any thick or special oil. There's a reason that ope manufacturers will recommend 5w20 below certain temps..

There was a member here who was having problems with his Honda (twin?) and found out sump temps were stupid low in the cold... He ended up basically blocking off the air inlet on the blower housing with a kit to get it to warm up.

I'd be willing to bet that on a cold day, say 10F, you'll have sump temps around 120 to 150

0-30w full synth in my up north snowblower. For the price of a qt. of oil use the synthetic. Good oil and fuels will never let you down.
In the spring on a warm day, I change it and run it until it gets hot enough to drive out the winter moisture build up.
1995 Tecumseh still running strong.

0-30w full synth in my up north snowblower. For the price of a qt. of oil use the synthetic. Good oil and fuels will never let you down.
In the spring on a warm day, I change it and run it until it gets hot enough to drive out the winter moisture build up.
1995 Tecumseh still running strong.
Mobil 1 0W-40 is a snow blower's best friend Easy to get a Walmart and makes cold pull starting a breeze.

Snowblowers don't need anything special. I wouldn't pay extra money for a special oil when any 10w-30 or 0w-30 should work just fine. Most snowblowers are not run that much as far as residential use is concerned. In a very high snowfall year I will probably run mine 20 hours max for the entire winter season with a 3 car garage, a side of the house parking pad an average cul de sac sidewalk.

If the engine is a 8HP flat head tecumseh with the flat head (not OHV) you can use 0w-20 / 0w-30 / 5w-20 / 5w-30 with no issues. This engine uses a small dipper on the end of the connecting rod to fling the oil up to the piston. You do not want a thick oil as when cold it will not get proper lubrication until it warms up.

Also just be warned these are very dirty stinky engines, so the oil may get dirty faster than you think. Also when using a multiweight oil, the engine will consume some and this is very normal. These are old low tech engines. They run for ever with proper maint. keeping the oil on the full mark is what is important.

Back