Snow blower impeller mod?

I’ve read about it but haven’t done it to my 10.5 hp Husqvarna. I figure if I do it, it won’t snow this year at all. I have quite a bit of driveway and could use the added throw for slushy snow.

I did it on my MTD branded 24" Remington. Used a plastic plumbing coupler and cut it to size for the impeller.

Picks up the slushy stuff and throws it vs it falling out of the chute. It'll throw the dry stuff pretty far too.

Yep. Did it to my 20yr/old 7hp 2-stage, 24" Yardman snowblower. This model has a small 3-bladed impeller. I used scraps from the rubber auger off a single stage machine, some self drilling/tapping screws w/ fender washers to attach to the stamped steel impeller blades.

It works fantastic. I did it on my 30" two stage Troybilt. It mad a very big difference on how far it throws snow. it probably doubled how far my snow blower throws snow. And it also made a big difference on how well it handles slush. After the mod, it is much less prone to plug up from slush. Before the mod, sometimes, real thick slush would barely be thrown outside the chute, sometimes landing on top of the machine. After the mod, that same condition of slush gets thrown several feet.

I would recommend this mod to everyone with a two stage snow blower.

I did it on an older toro. Cut up a motorcycle tire to make "paddles" that take up the 1/4 inch gap between metal impeller and housing.

Blower never blew that great before, and still doesn't. Would do better with more RPM, IMO.

One thing you have to be careful about is snow melting and refreezing at the bottom. Had that happen a couple times, smokes the belt when engaged the next time. It only takes about a tablespoon of water to do this, which will happen even if you "blow it clear" before parking.

I did it on an older toro. Cut up a motorcycle tire to make "paddles" that take up the 1/4 inch gap between metal impeller and housing.

Blower never blew that great before, and still doesn't. Would do better with more RPM, IMO.

One thing you have to be careful about is snow melting and refreezing at the bottom. Had that happen a couple times, smokes the belt when engaged the next time. It only takes about a tablespoon of water to do this, which will happen even if you "blow it clear" before parking.
Would spraying Pam in the second stage drum help with this? I use the silicone spray that is sold in the snow blower section at Lowes, but others have told me that cooking spray works just as well.

Has anyone tried this? Does it actually work?

I bought a Troy-Bilt 24" 2 stage blower with the "mighty" 179cc engine back in 2014. It worked ok with dry snow but we seem to get a lot of "wet" heavy snow here in northern NJ, it didn't throw that so well. On the SnowBlower Forum I read about and impeller "kits" and ordered one off EBay, about $35. it works GREAT, allows the small engine to throw that wet/heavy snow a good distance now. It's well worth the money and effort for me.

Whimsey

I wouldn't believe the self tapping screws would hold up over time without stripping out.. I would use a machine bolt with a locking nut on the other end. Myself, I spray non stick cooking spray or brush on vegetable oil on the surfaces and nothing sticks.

Not enough RPM? a very common problem, easily fixed. The throttle setting isn't actually a throttle setting, it's a governor setting. Usually, it's either a wind vane that gets air blown over it from the cooling fan, or internally actuated from inside the engine. Either way, there's almost always a spring that buffers the system. Shorten it. It's a five minute job. throw a tach on it and aim for 3,200 to 3,400 ish, no load, throttle in full position.

Has anyone tried this? Does it actually work?

I did this to my 16 year old yardman last spring. We got some heavy wet snow at the end of winter and it kept clogging. I did the mod with some single stage paddle rubber and some self tapping screws. Man the thing throws water now not just wet snow and didn't clog!

Just my $0.02

I wouldn't believe the self tapping screws would hold up over time without stripping out.. I would use a machine bolt with a locking nut on the other end.
I agree. I would also opt for stainless steel if possible.

Not enough RPM? a very common problem, easily fixed. The throttle setting isn't actually a throttle setting, it's a governor setting. Usually, it's either a wind vane that gets air blown over it from the cooling fan, or internally actuated from inside the engine. Either way, there's almost always a spring that buffers the system. Shorten it. It's a five minute job. throw a tach on it and aim for 3,200 to 3,400 ish, no load, throttle in full position.
I have the "chonda" that supposedly barfs governor weights if you overrev it. Of course mine was only $60 if it does eat it. ;)

Back