Snapper push mower

I’m looking to buy one of the old Snapper push mowers from the 1970s/1980s, aluminum deck would be great, I’d settle for a steel deck. I’d also rather a push as opposed to a self propelled unit, but again I’d settle for a self propelled unit. It doesnt have to be in running condition. Anyone has one to sell or knows anyone with one for sale please let me know.

Your better off searching on Facebook Market Place or Offerup.

Any reason why you want such a Snapper for?

My parents had a Toro Recycle non self propelled mower when I was a kid that had an aluminum deck. It SUCKED.
It had the B&S Quantum engine on it. Because aluminum decks are stiff, every engine vibration was transmitted to the handle making
the mower Suck to use.

I am assuming that you want the Snapper with the Hi VAC steel deck. MTD also licensed the Snapper brand to make a rear bagger, that does not have the Hi Vac deck design.

Attachments

• snapper top view.jpg
    snapper top view.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 26
Bought this one on Ebay 1977 year model. Any idea where I can get a side discharge chute?

Attachments

• 9BC30367-5FF9-4D16-B86B-1DE593C27CC7.jpeg
    9BC30367-5FF9-4D16-B86B-1DE593C27CC7.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 98
was there an aluminum deck Snapper (Hi Vac) ?
Yes, Snapper walk behind mowers had aluminum decks for many years, but they haven't been manufactured since the early 80's. It was not a Hi-Vac deck. The Hi-Vac was/is a steel deck with a rolled-under lip all the way around, which is what generated the high vacuum. It was excellent for rear bagging the clippings but only marginal (at best) for mulching. Snappers rapidly fell out of favor because of their poor mulching performance.

Last edited:
Hmmm....when I bought parts for it, they came in MTD bags with MTD part numbers. Did not know that about B & S buying both companies

B&S itself was just bought out of bankruptcy by a holding/investment company called KPS Capital Partners LP who plans to break apart and sell-off the turf products parts of the business. There is no telling who will end-up owning the Ferris, Billy Goat, Murray, Simplicity, Snapper, and Snapper Pro brands.
The low-end Snapper mowers sold at Walmart are "manufactured in cooperation with one of Briggs & Stratton’s engine customers", that manufacturer is MTD. I stand corrected. On the low-end Lawnboy and steel deck Toro mowers, "we have agreements with third party manufacturers to manufacture products on our behalf", are also manufactured by MTD.

Last edited:
Got it today. I was just going to fix it and use it as is, but I think I’ll take it apart and restore and paint it, and of course use it. I have the bag and chute for it, just need to find a side discharge chute.

Attachments

• 1F1780F0-4CC3-4A5F-BC33-B73F6B0ED625.jpeg
    1F1780F0-4CC3-4A5F-BC33-B73F6B0ED625.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 90
Back