looking for a good PUSH mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the status of the Honda GCV timing belts?Didn't they use to slip or break?

Honda engines are usually used on the top or better mower from several
manufacturers. Few POS mowers do that.
The el-cheapo mowers generally use Chinese engines.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'd rather buy a quality used mower for $80-100 with a Briggs flat head engine than the cheapest POS they sell at Lowes because it has a Honda engine.

Funny how my Troy-Bilt POS has lasted over 8 years with only annual oil changes and one replacement blade.

Some are fine if taken care of. Since you are on BITOG I assume you maintain it better than the average homeowner. I just find it odd when people spend more to buy one with the Honda engine yet the wheels are already ready to fall off in the store. Obviously this isn't every single one, but I've seen quite a few.

Originally Posted By: 9050lx
Whats the status of the Honda GCV timing belts?Didn't they use to slip or break?

I've never seen a broken belt. There is an issue with the belt slipping off the top cam gear for the valves. The newer engines have a redesigned valve cover which fixes this issue. The newer covers also are direct swaps onto the old engines. Usually the belt can just be slipped back on, sometimes the engine needs to be re-timed, which isn't too difficult.

I find it is more of a quality control issue with the alignment of the top cam gear. Many engines run for hundreds of hours and never have a problem. I had one mower that the belt slipped off again a week after I fixed it, and only a new cover solved the problem.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Honda engines are usually used on the top or better mower from several
manufacturers. Few POS mowers do that.
The el-cheapo mowers generally use Chinese engines.

My 2¢

Very true, but there are different Honda engines. The GCV series which is a homeowner version, and the GX series which is commercial. A Toro Super Recycler with a Honda engine is usually a top of the line mower. There are also many lower end mowers like MTD Troy-Bilts and Cub Cadets where they take a cheap mower, add a Honda GCV engine and a sticker saying "powered by Honda" which adds $150 to the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back