Snapper or Cub Cadet?

Just sold my Toro 42" zero turn, looking at getting a tractor. I think it is between the CC XT46 (Msrp $2900) or Snapper XPS 48" (Msrp $3149).

Main differences besides width are a 1 gauge thicker deck on the Snapper, and the CC has a Kawasaki FR Series engine, the Snapper has a Commercial line B&S. Snapper has metal hood vs plastic on CC. Both have 12 gauge frame and cast iron front end. CC has bearings on wheels (not bushings), pretty sure Snapper does, too. Boyh have TuffTorq k46 transmission.

Haven't looked at them yet, will later today. Thoughts on these?

Everyone selling CC at MDRP, I could probably get Snapper for $2700.

Cub Cadet is made by MTD which is reason why I would never buy it. It may be an upper end MTD brand but still MTD.

What about Toro tractor or Husqvarna or Kubota?
No Kubota in stock. Not a fan of Husky. Toro doesn't make tractors anymore.

Also might add this Simplicity to the list.

Any in this price range are going to be similar in every way.

One thing Cub has going for it is dealer network if that's important to you.

Briggs bought out snapper over 10yrs ago, so they are not the snapper of long ago, but what is.

Deck guage wheels are important and setting the deck so it doesn't ride on the ground and beat itself up is key. Unless it's designed for ground engagement, which these are not.

Edit- I see the snapper has the free floating deck. That has to ride the ground. If your property is rough, it's going to beat itself to pieces.

Both are homeowner grade and will have a limited lifespan. If you can afford it, purchase from a Deere dealer or similar, and do your research to ensure adequate robustness.

There is a good reason to go with a conventional Deere also. Parts are available online nearly forever. They are long lasting, popular machines. I have a GT235 that is 20 years old, with a Kawasaki V-Twin. It has the larger tires, heavier duty transmission and has been a stellar performer on my rural properties. I use it to mulch pine tree and other branches, it's that tough!!!! In the end, it cost me less than homeowner grade stuff.

john_deere_gt235.jpg

Edit- I see the snapper has the free floating deck. That has to ride the ground. If your property is rough, it's going to beat itself to pieces.
The literature states it is frame hung. Where do you see free floating deck like Simplicity has?

The literature states it is frame hung. Where do you see free floating deck like Simplicity has?
I saw it in the link the OP provided. I believe the tail end of the deck rides along the ground on the regent. The front pivots slightly on it's attachment point.

So the floating deck is considered bad? My lawn is relatively flat but a little bouncy. I have two drainage ditches in front yard I mow.

What should I look for in JD? I can add them to the list, but don't know much about them. 300 series?

Last edited:
I picked up CC XT2 46 last year. I have about 50 hours on it now. I paid 2500 for it new. I love it. No issues. I mow an acre and half. Does a fine job and it is very comfortable. I like that it is fuel injected. Runs nice and smooth.

I came out of two Craftsman LT1000s one was 22 years old and the other was 20 years old.

I saw it in the link the OP provided. I believe the tail end of the deck rides along the ground on the regent. The front pivots slightly on it's attachment point.
The Regent is a Simplicity model. I didn't see the Snapper having the back roller.

Wallyuwl, I "think" the terminology regarding floating deck may be a bit confusing. I'm no expert at this, but there are fixed decks and "floating" decks. Fixed decks are rigid and part of the mower's frame like most commercial walk behind mowers. Floating decks hang from the frame and it seems there are variations. Most have 4 antiscalp wheels on the corners to ride over rough areas. The Simplicity free floating deck has a series of long rollers on the back mower deck that ride on the ground continuesly. Both "float". Fixed decks are generally on narrower decks and floating on wider decks. I would not classify floating decks as bad.

I've got a Cub Cadet. If I had it to do again I'd buy something besides Cub Cadet. My son bought a new Snapper about 2 or 3 years ago and has been well satisfied with it. I've used it a couple times to mow his yard when he was on vacation. It's a much better cutting mower than my Cub Cadet.

What should I look for in JD? I can add them to the list, but don't know much about them. 300 series?
If you want to stay in a similar price range (sub $3k) you're probably looking at a 200 series Deere. I have an S240 and it's a similar machine to the ones you listed: Kawasaki v-twin, K46, etc...

As mentioned above, the biggest reason to get a Deere is the dealer network and parts availability.

If you want to stay in a similar price range (sub $3k) you're probably looking at a 200 series Deere. I have an S240 and it's a similar machine to the ones you listed: Kawasaki v-twin, K46, etc...
When I was poking around I got the impression that Deere's were more expensive for what you got.
Maybe you can weigh in?
I can understand if you're paying for better customer service/dealer network/parts.

When I was poking around I got the impression that Deere's were more expensive for what you got.
Maybe you can weigh in?
I can understand if you're paying for better customer service/dealer network/parts.
When I was looking, a Deere cost maybe $200 more than an equivalent Cub Cadet. I ended up going with the Deere because of the dealer and parts availability.

I can just walk in, ask for what I need, they make sure I get the right part, and I have it immediately. Finally, if you don't want to work on it yourself, they'll come pick it, work on it, and bring it back to your house. I've never used that service but it's pretty convenient.

If you are totally locked in to your two choices, I would go for the Cub.
Not because it is necessarily a better unit, but because Snapper is owned by Briggs, which is coming off a bankruptcy.
Same thing with Simplicity (owned by Briggs.) Both are fine units, but I would be very nervous until both companies are firmly reestablished and demonstrate a track record of being financially sorted out.
I would look at the Deere. Their dealer and parts network are hard to beat.

After looking a while today and a few dealer visits, I think I am going to get a used or new non-current Simplicity Broadmoor. Mainly for power steering, and to avoid the depreciation. A local dealer has one $5k MSRP for $4k. I have a good relationship with them, maybe they would go lower to get rid of it. Several used ones in the $2k to $3k range, but most are the low end 44" without power steering, suspension, or fabricated deck.

I bought a Cub XT1 42" in 2017 and I've always been leery of how cheap the front end and steering is on it. By 25 hours of use, the front tires were sitting a tad pigeon-toed and the grease zerks on the tire rim had popped loose and wouldnt take grease. I suppose that's what happens when reputable names go Chinese manufacturing.

Other than that, I've been pleased. It cuts nice and the Kohler on it runs like a top, but I'm afraid the front end is going to be something I fight with for a long time. The CC model you're looking at likely has a beefier front end.

My next time around, I'm going to spend a little more and get something that will last longer than Chinese-made MTD products.

After looking a while today and a few dealer visits, I think I am going to get a used or new non-current Simplicity Broadmoor. Mainly for power steering, and to avoid the depreciation. A local dealer has one $5k MSRP for $4k. I have a good relationship with them, maybe they would go lower to get rid of it. Several used ones in the $2k to $3k range, but most are the low end 44" without power steering, suspension, or fabricated deck.
I think those are pretty nice units, with a good transmission and quality construction. Not sure about the Briggs engine. The Kawasaki engines are bulletproof, and that was a factor in my Deere purchase.

I bought a Cub XT1 42" in 2017 and I've always been leery of how cheap the front end and steering is on it. By 25 hours of use, the front tires were sitting a tad pigeon-toed and the grease zerks on the tire rim had popped loose and wouldnt take grease. I suppose that's what happens when reputable names go Chinese manufacturing.

Other than that, I've been pleased. It cuts nice and the Kohler on it runs like a top, but I'm afraid the front end is going to be something I fight with for a long time. The CC model you're looking at likely has a beefier front end.

My next time around, I'm going to spend a little more and get something that will last longer than Chinese-made MTD products.
The XT1 uses a bushing for the front wheel spindle while the XT2 he is looking at uses an actual wheel bearing and beefed up front axle.

Back