SN GF-5 Oil for '19 STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So naturally I am fixating on the oil for my '19 more than I should. I want to stick with the factory recommended specs until I am out of warranty.

SN (resource conserving) ILSAC GF-5 in the 5w30 weight

From what I found on walmart.com

- Valvoline Modern Engine
- Quaker State Ultimate Durability
- Pennzoil Platinum
- Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic
- Castrol EDGE 5W-30 Advanced

The prices range from $17 to $32 for a 5qt jug, going to assume quality != highest price. For the STI I read that the thickest 5w30 oil would be best as it shears oil pretty fast? My OCI will be 3000 miles.

What would you run out of those above? Did I miss any?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
They are looking for the best oil and doesn't seem to limit the choices to what is in the manual. Based on what I've read about these EJ motors I def want to keep the warranty lol

Meets the specs, I can't edit the post to add it to the list
mad.gif
Thanks!

Always wanted to try that oil, wonder how it ranks on the thickness scale ?

cSt at 100°C -> 11.0 which is on the thicker side correct?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by c5z06
... Based on what I've read about these EJ motors I def want to keep the warranty lol

Yes you do ! The STI motor is notoriously fragile ...

Use GOOD gas, keep the boost down until engine is warm, and that's not like 30 seconds warm ... , and use a good, NON resource conserving oil. If you are wanting to stick with 5w30 ( many will argue that you should step up to a 0/5w40 or even a 50 grade ...), find a Euro type C3 5w30 that is thicker. It will also be more expensive, but it will give your engine a slightly bigger cushion against a spun bearing / rod knock, a VERY COMMON failure on the 2.5L turbo now found only in the STI's.

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 are two readily available 5w30s that would work well.

Many would argue that using a thicker oil may help you avoid having to use the warranty, and go thru Subaru's usual gauntlet of ... engine was abused / raced / tuned / poorly maintained - WARRANTY IS VOID garbage. Because they do that ...

Good luck.

The viscosity at 100*c is only part of the picture, you should look at the HTHS spec. as well ...

From Q8 oil website.

"The HTHS viscosity of an engine lubricant is a crucial element that directly impacts the fuel efficiency and durability of an operating engine. A lubricant is designed to lubricate and protect critical engine parts such as the bearings, the camshaft, the piston rings and liner, especially under high shear conditions at high operating temperatures.

HTHS measures the viscosity (resistance to flow) of an engine lubricant at elevated temperatures (150°C) under constant shear, simulating the narrow tolerances and high speeds between moving parts in a hot engine.

Mobil 1 ESP:

100*c 11.8 cSt

Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, mPa.s, (ASTM D4683) 3.5

Compared to regular M1 5w30:

100*c 11.0 cSt

HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.1

So naturally I am fixating on the oil for my '19 more than I should. I want to stick with the factory recommended specs until I am out of warranty.

SN (resource conserving) ILSAC GF-5 in the 5w30 weight

From what I found on walmart.com

- Valvoline Modern Engine
- Quaker State Ultimate Durability
- Pennzoil Platinum
- Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic
- Castrol EDGE 5W-30 Advanced

The prices range from $17 to $32 for a 5qt jug, going to assume quality != highest price. For the STI I read that the thickest 5w30 oil would be best as it shears oil pretty fast? My OCI will be 3000 miles.

What would you run out of those above? Did I miss any?

Thanks!!

You want Euro specd 5W30, forget ILSAC oils.
Best Euro specd oil? Castrol Edge 0W30. But, it is 0W, and it is $58 for 6qt on Amazon.
Get Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 in Wal Mart, it is $22 for 5qt. There are NUMEROUS advantages of Euro specd. oils over anything else. Also, make sure oil has MB 229.5 specification or MB 229.51.
Mobil1 5W30 ESP is very good oil, although on expensive side. Castrol Edge 5W30 C3 (available on Amazon) is good too. But best bang for a buck is Pennzoil Euro L in Wal mart.
Once warranty is out switch to Castrol Edge 0W40 that is available in Wal Mart, or 0W30 if you do not mind price.

Originally Posted by geeman789

The viscosity at 100*c is only part of the picture, you should look at the HTHS spec. as well ...

From Q8 oil website.

"The HTHS viscosity of an engine lubricant is a crucial element that directly impacts the fuel efficiency and durability of an operating engine. A lubricant is designed to lubricate and protect critical engine parts such as the bearings, the camshaft, the piston rings and liner, especially under high shear conditions at high operating temperatures.

HTHS measures the viscosity (resistance to flow) of an engine lubricant at elevated temperatures (150°C) under constant shear, simulating the narrow tolerances and high speeds between moving parts in a hot engine.

Mobil 1 ESP:

100*c 11.8 cSt

Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, mPa.s, (ASTM D4683) 3.5

Compared to regular M1 5w30:

100*c 11.0 cSt

HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.1

Also, these oils have much better NOACK, deposit restrictions and oxidation restrictions.

I think you're overthinking the GF-5 part. I do not ever recall anyone running into Powertrain Warranty problems from not running a GF5 oil. Given you have an EJ, I would highly recommend following the above advice of running an oil with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. Even if a GF5 starts with a higher viscosity of say 11.0 as Mobil 1 5W-30 does it's still very likely to shear to a 20 grade in your application.

Note that 12-5 of your manual shows the API Donut and the ILSAC GF5 Starburst with OR between the two (12-5 of the manual). Also note the following comment:

...Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine...

https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1905A_STIS.pdf

I would go with an API SN oil with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. There are the ACEA C3 oils like Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and Motul X-clean 5W-30, and there's also the new Rotella 5W-30 Multi Vehicle. If you still want to run a GF5 oil just flip a coin because it does not matter.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bluesubie
I think you're overthinking the GF-5 part. I do not ever recall anyone running into Powertrain Warranty problems from not running a GF5 oil. Given you have an EJ, I would highly recommend following the above advice of running an oil with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. Even if a GF5 starts with a higher viscosity of say 11.0 as Mobil 1 5W-30 does it's still very likely to shear to a 20 grade in your application.

Note that 12-5 of your manual shows the API Donut and the ILSAC GF5 Starburst with OR between the two (12-5 of the manual). Also note the following comment:

...Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine...

https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1905A_STIS.pdf

I would go with an API SN oil with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. There are the ACEA C3 oils like Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and Motul X-clean 5W-30, and there's also the new Rotella 5W-30 Multi Vehicle. If you still want to run a GF5 oil just flip a coin because it does not matter.
cheers3.gif

I have a 2015 FXT with the FA20DIT engine and this engine is very hard on oils. I did many UOAs with GF5 oils and they ALL sheared down to a 20 grade with similar results.

Last UOA was done with Rotella Multi Vehicle 5w-30 and it was the best by far (it's in the UOA section). It's the only oil that stayed in the 30 grade as well.

I have Mobil ESP 5w-30 in the sump right now.

Those oils have higher HTHS and a thicker MOFT which is good for those rod bearings. EJ are a bit infamous for rod knock...

Like bluesubie said, if you really want to stick with GF5, flip a coin, or just get the one that is the cheapest because they really are all similar.

Last edited:
Thanks! I will return the Havoline and pick up Rotella Multi Vehicle, appreciate the advice
smile.gif

Thanks! I will return the Havoline and pick up Rotella Multi Vehicle, appreciate the advice
smile.gif

Mobil1 ESP he has right now in the sump should do better than Rotella.
Also, that Mobil1 he has in his Subaru will have much better NOACK and bcs. of specifications it is designed to stay in grade over 20k intervals.

Is Mobil ESP the diesel oil (Emission System Protection)? Assuming everyone gets it from Amazon?

Last edited:
Is Mobil ESP the diesel oil (Emission System Protection)? Assuming everyone gets it from Amazon?

Don't buy it from Amazon, it's far cheaper on ebay. I've purchased off there for around $5 a quart.

Rotella T6 5W-40 seems to be the de facto choice for the EJ253. The owner's manual has the same loose wordage as Toyota that the non-"compliant" oil can be used but should be changed out at the next oil change. I doubt Subaru will deny a warranty claim due to non-ILSAC oil being used.

With that said, if you really care about the warranty I would go with a oil that meets dexos1 Generation 2 which all of those do but they are constrained by GF-6/SN specs. If it was me, either a Euro 0W-30/40 or a diesel 5W-40 will be a better choice. These engines are hard on oil and the EJ series doesn't have a stellar track record in the Subie community - which is why so many people recommend upgrading the internals if you plan on upping the boost.

You could get away with Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30, which has a HTHS of 3.5. It's just a little thicker than 5W-30 cold but I doubt that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
smile.gif

Mobil1 ESP he has right now in the sump should do better than Rotella.
Also, that Mobil1 he has in his Subaru will have much better NOACK and bcs. of specifications it is designed to stay in grade over 20k intervals.

I will probably do an UOA of the ESP Formula, but as seen in other UOAs, I expect the wear to be similar to Rotella MV.

Also, we are speculating on Rotella's Noack as I have never seen the actual Noack number. Rotella has higher starting TBN.

Just be aware that Mobil 1 ESP is not the same as Mobil 1 ESP Formula (older but better version). It's confusing... the old ESP Formula as been discontinued.

It was sold in 1L bottles (1 quart newer version) and had higher cst @100c (12.1 vs the new 11.8) and the older version had lower ash content (0.6 vs 0.8).

I grabbed 10 liters of the old ESP Formula at Canadian Tire for almost 1/2 price because it was discontinued.

Haven't seen an UOA of the new version yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back