Smith and Wesson Model 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a pistol person so both our guns at home are pistols. The problem is that my wife cannot pull the slide on them and load them. Going around that issue by leaving the slide locked open or leaving a cartridge in the chamber are not viable.

The solution is to get a revolver and she is thinking about getting a S&W Model 60 with a 2" barrel chambered for 0.38 Special.

Are there any small revolver owners on the board and what would you recommend? She wants caliber around 9mm and small enough to fit her hands: a Walther PPK is a large gun for her.

If you want 38 special, go for the 600 models (Chief Specials). Smaller, lighter, and easier trigger pull.

The Model 60 is chambered for .357 magnum/38special+p, so the frame is heavier/beefier.

If she can't pull the slide back on a pistol, she's going to have trouble with the double action pull of a revolver!

Civic Fan,

A Wather PPK has a very hard slide (stiff spring). The S&W Model 60 is an excellent choice. Remember that even with a gun designed for .357 you can shoot a .38 but you can't shoot .357 in a .38.

The 60 is my choice.

Cheers, Doug

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I am a pistol person so both our guns at home are pistols. The problem is that my wife cannot pull the slide on them and load them.

Try teaching here to grip the slide with here entire hand and essentially move the gun forward with here grip hand, instead of pulling the slide with her thumb and index finger.

@2:31 have her use that technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbPdSu4BH0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Doug C
Drew, the pink grips are really ugly.

Doug

It's for a woman though!

I suggested the pink one to her but she doesn't like it.

Is there an online store that sells them? I haven't found any place yet that sells them.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I am a pistol person so both our guns at home are pistols. The problem is that my wife cannot pull the slide on them and load them.

Try teaching here to grip the slide with here entire hand and essentially move the gun forward with here grip hand, instead of pulling the slide with her thumb and index finger.

@2:31 have her use that technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbPdSu4BH0

That's how I do it myself. She tried but no luck.

The model 60, or the Chiefs Special?

Any of them.

img0838vb0.jpg

My daily carry most of the time.

Excellent weapon and recommend highly. Practice with .38 sp and load with 38+p... (do fire here and there some +p so you get the feel)

I like the ability to fire single action or double. The 442 and 642 does not allow this. Also the hammer does not snag anything.

Take care, bill

PS. it also is a little over 17oz LOADED

I have a Taurus CIA (Carry it anywhere) .357 5 shot revolver as a carry gun. Also shoots .38 obviously. It is a concealed hammer, easy to fire with an easy trigger pull and very nice in the hand. This is always kept loaded adn is ready to go.

When I was a Police Officer I used a Model 60 as my backup gun. The Model 60 is a stainless steel revolver chambered for 38 specials. It is a J frame same as the Chief Special but in stainless. It would be a good gun for a lady. The newer ones that are even lighter weight made of scandium and cambered for 357 mag. are real man stoppers but they are like a cherry bomb going off in your hand. The revolver is a great choice safe easy to use. Good luck.

Civic Fan,

You amy also look into Taurus line of 38 specials. They're good revolvers and have a lifetime service policy if needed in the future. Besides that the trigger mechanism may be slightly lighter than the Snith & Wesson line. That is not to say it won't get smoother through usage/practice.

If you really want the Smith line then you can't go wrong but still look into the Taurus line. They also now own Rossi, Braztech of Brazil. I also think they have a snubbie in a 9mm if she wants but can't be fully sure.

The last one I'd look into is Ruger. These revolvers are built like bank vaults and after hefting one you know it'll last longer than you will in the long run. They come in 38 special and for sure a 9mm. I know I have one of each of all of these.

The variety is emmense so don't just think of Smith & Wesson.

Durango

I have a S&W Model 60 with the 2 1/8" barrel.

I like it, but the alignment is a bit off because when I fire it, I will get an occasional spit back at my face. I'll bring it in this week. No biggie. I recommend it.

tpitcher,

It's always a good thing to have a smith look at your model 60. It might/could be slightly out of time BUT an occasional spiting is common. If you shoot lead bullets under normal circumstances the lead bullet is shaved off due to the fact that the forcing cone is squeezing the bullet into the bore. I suggest you practice with some FMJ's and the spitting should stop.

Durango

I tried to talk my wife into the S&W Model 60 Lady Smith, but she didn't like the looks of it? She settled on the "pretty" Taurus Model 85.

f9b31480gun2.jpg

I still like S&W over the Taurus, they are just a better gun IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back