Smartphone Fingerprint scanner

theres a price to pay for everything, that's why obesity in adults and children are at record levels, too much convenience
tenor.gif
Meanwhile I’ve been out driving around bored and used my phone to find some cool places to walk around/hiking trails. Convenient, yet exercise I wouldn’t have normally done. Not to mention the GPS is always up to date and even alerts of road closures/construction/accidents and will automatically route you around them.

As for TouchID/fingerprint scanners… as a machinist there’s almost always some kind of cut on a finger that they don’t like. FaceID is far superior IMO.

theres a price to pay for everything, that's why obesity in adults and children are at record levels, too much convenience
tenor.gif
That's what you got from my posts??

You clearly haven't spent a rainy night at the Newark P4 terminal, at a pay phone, trying to find a hotel with a vacancy...

Or you would appreciate the real value of that convenience.

A thief wouldn't have your fingerprint, either. In fact, it's a lot more secure than just a password, and a lot faster.

There's been talk over all the ways it might be possible to "spoof" a fingerprint. There's been discussion over the years depending on the type of technology. As far back as MacGyver in the 80s they showed the possibility of using the "latent" fingerprints on an optical sensor to spoof by somehow applying a substance (in that case dust) to darken when the fingerprints were located. I think the technology is much better now, but optical scan sensors can be fooled with an image of the print. They work a lot better when there's someone to monitor the use to see that it's not tampered with. There's also the possibility of some technologies being fooled by various "fake fingerprints" made from a copy of someone's fingerprint, such as off a lifted print on a surface or maybe some impression of the actual fingerprint. Rubber is the obvious material, but some have used gelatin to try and make an impression.

I said I had some professional experience with this. I was talking to a consultant who would discuss the technology. One of the questions he has is whether or not a severed finger can be used to access a fingerprint sensor. The answer is no, because the particular technology he was dealing with looked for specific electrical characteristics that would only be present in a live and conscious person. But then his followup comment was "But does the guy willing to cut off someone's finger know that?"

This of course is beyond what a petty thief is willing to do. However, there's always been concerns about spy level stuff where someone might consider extreme measures to try and defeat a fingerprint protected system.

FaceID is pretty much the standard now and it’s quick. It’s time to move into the 21st century. I buy things at the store with my iPhone, pay bills, make investment changes, banking, and a whole lot more. I want it to be secure wherever I am in the world.

I use my phone for making and taking calls and texts. Those other things I wait until I get home and use the computer. Why anyone would prefer to use a device with a tiny 5 or 6 inch screen over a computer with a 20-30 inch monitor is beyond me. The only exception would be when traveling away from home if you have no other choice.
Well, that's good for you. However, not everyone feels the same, nor does everyone have the time to use a computer for every task. Also, that being the case, just because you only use a phone for calling or texting doesn’t make a fingerprint scanner a gimmick.

Well, that's good for you. However, not everyone feels the same, nor does everyone have the time to use a computer for every task. Also, that being the case, just because you only use a phone for calling or texting doesn’t make a fingerprint scanner a gimmick.
Exactly. Why break out the laptop, go find the charger because it’s dead because a kid left it on, wait for it to boot up (even if it only takes 45 seconds), and sit down to do whatever it is I wanted to do? I can whip my phone out, have it unlocked in less than a second, do what I need to do, and be done far faster?

I’m convinced the same people complaining about smart phones were once using wireless house phones and cassettes while their elders complained about how AM radio and rotary phones were just fine 🤣

Last edited:
Exactly. Why break out the laptop, go find the charger because it’s dead because a kid left it on, wait for it to boot up (even if it only takes 45 seconds), and sit down to do whatever it is I wanted to do? I can whip my phone out, have it unlocked in less than a second, do what I need to do, and be done far faster?
Why do people go out to eat at restaurants when they can heat up something at home to eat? Why do people go out to theaters to see a movie on a big screen when they can see the same thing on their TV at home? Why do people go to bars for a $10 drink they can make at home for 50 cents? Because it's more pleasant and enjoyable. Like it's more pleasant and enjoyable to be online with a real keyboard, mouse and full size monitor instead of a phone and it's small screen. And I leave the computer on standby so it too takes just a second to get back online. And don't get me started about all the idiots on Ebay who buy something I have listed only to cancel an hour later because they were bidding on their phone and didn't see it was for local pickup.

Why do people go out to eat at restaurants when they can heat up something at home to eat? Why do people go out to theaters to see a movie on a big screen when they can see the same thing on their TV at home? Why do people go to bars for a $10 drink they can make at home for 50 cents? Because it's more pleasant and enjoyable. Like it's more pleasant and enjoyable to be online with a real keyboard, mouse and full size monitor instead of a phone and it's small screen. And I leave the computer on standby so it too takes just a second to get back online. And don't get me started about all the idiots on Ebay who buy something I have listed only to cancel an hour later because they were bidding on their phone and didn't see it was for local pickup.
I find my phone more pleasant to use and can type just as quickly on my phone as I can on a keyboard 🤷🏻‍♂️

Whatever floats your boat. I don't know anybody who has to be online frequently, prefer a phone over a computer. Go into any office and you see people behind their terminals, not a phone. Or ask any serious gamer what they use.

Whatever floats your boat. I don't know anybody who has to be online frequently, prefer a phone over a computer. Go into any office and you see people behind their terminals, not a phone. Or ask any serious gamer what they use.
Now you’re just grasping at straws trying to make your opinion a fact.

I recall 20 some years ago, before I even had a cell phone, driving with a passenger who was able to achieve so much via a phone en route, I was impressed and thinking how transformative it would be.

I was a flipphone holdout until 2014. and don't use my smartphone anywhere near its capability, choosing the laptop to order things and browse and type anything lengthy.

I get annoyed with all the app permissions, access to my photos and data and camera on an app that should require neither?...... Nevermind.

So I paid extra for 2 day shipping of new phone and Sim.
It's day two, and fedex tracking says it will be there on Day 5 even though on 'shipment facts' says 2 day shipping.

Day three is Dad's 84th birthday, and a huge part of why I paid the extra for 2 day shipping.

Looks like I have to borrow a phone to call cross country tomorrow

Depends on where you buy it and who you buy it from.

I purchased a Apple iPhone last year through the Store app on my old iPhone. I placed the order around 7am and it was delivered around 2pm same day. No extra for shipping.

I've had 4 different fingerprint scanner devices. They don't work if your finger changes due to, say, more or less water uptake. You have to retrain them. Happens to me after a day of strenuous work, and happened to my dad as his health degenerated and he was on different medications.

I like facial recognition better, but, with masking due to the Wuhan virus it's awkward when using a smartphone with Google Pay; which wants to be unlocked twice before it'll pay, plus the initial face unlock to open the phone.

Posting this got me to research the above. Here's the answer I came across on XDA Developers:

Do you have face unlock set up?

Google Pay doesn't work for me if my phone unlocked with my face. PIN or Print to unlock and it goes through first time.

So, next time I pay, use PIN to unlock phone, or for a different phone [finger]Print.

Re: the broader smart phone discussion-

It's fine if it doesn't work/doesn't make sense for you. For me, my phone is not just a way to call and text but also a personal planner, organizer, note taker, way to do banking/financial stuff on the fly, and a dozen other things I could list. Some of that stuff, I don't want any Tom, ****, or Harry accessing. It's also a way to pass time when I'm waiting. BTW, my phone is secure, but I'm not "hiding" anything-my wife in fact can access it easily(her face is programmed into FaceID) and I know her passcode. We don't go around habitually looking at each other's phones, but it sure can be handy if say one of us is driving and needs to send a text or reference something on the other's phone.

Yes, I'd much rather use a computer for a lot of tasks, but as phones get better I can do a lot more efficiently on the go. For some things, the mobile app is actually better/more functional or at least easier to use than the website.

On fingerprint-I retired my TouchID phone 2 years ago and my current one is FaceID(and with masks all the time I'd rather have Touch these days, but oh well-Face is more convenient as long as your face isn't covered). With that said, my computer can be unlocked via a TouchID sensor the same as what was used on second gen TouchID iPhones. I've had plenty of times where I've sanded off a fingerprint or ended up with a gouge in my fingertip. The latter usually doesn't stop it from working, while the former is hit or miss. On my last phone with it, and now with my computer, I have multiple fingers programmed. At least Apple devices allow that, and I'd assume most others do too.

iOS latest update supposedly took care of mask wearing with face recognition. Android does allow for multiple fingerprints to be stored.

Back