Smartphone Fingerprint scanner

Thanks for the info all.

I like the idea of an easy unlock, but honestly when my security screen was only a simple swipe, i turned it off as it was annoying to have to swipe just to fast forward the song that didn't suit my mood.

I don't have a sneaky significant other who feels completely entitled to view everything on my phone, Like all my married friends.
My desire for security mostly would be to deprive a potential thief of my phone, the use of my phone.

If the sorry state of my fingerprint would keep me from being able to unlock the phone, I am glad there are likely other options for doing so.

Honesty my s4 Mini was all that I ever needed, and I am PO'd that I have to 'upgrade' and learn a new phone and transfer my contacts and music.

Am also not thrilled about a huge phone that wont easily fit in a shirt's chest pocket.

But whats done is done, and perhaps in time I can convince myself I am glad to have a lower end 'new'phone
You are overthinking this. The solution to your problem is purchasing a phone with facial recognition. With facial recognition, your phone will unlock independently of any problems with your hands.

What's the point of a fingerprint scanner? If someone steals your phone, they make a bunch of long distance or international calls? I can see it as just a gimmick that can break and leave you unable to make a call.
Wait, are you not aware of all the capabilities and the information contained in a modern smartphone? If I lost my phone, not only could they access my banking and emails as mentioned by others on here, but they could control my security cameras, WiFi router, brokerage account, and more.

Wait, are you not aware of all the capabilities and the information contained in a modern smartphone? If I lost my phone, not only could they access my banking and emails as mentioned by others on here, but they could control my security cameras, WiFi router, brokerage account, and more.
I use my phone for making and taking calls and texts. Those other things I wait until I get home and use the computer. Why anyone would prefer to use a device with a tiny 5 or 6 inch screen over a computer with a 20-30 inch monitor is beyond me. The only exception would be when traveling away from home if you have no other choice.

I use my phone for making and taking calls and texts. Those other things I wait until I get home and use the computer. Why anyone would prefer to use a device with a tiny 5 or 6 inch screen over a computer with a 20-30 inch monitor is beyond me. The only exception would be when traveling away from home if you have no other choice.
Same here. I only look at amazon if I'm comparing prices in a store. No passwords or logins stores on it.

So much easier to shop from a desktop. I don't bank or do any financial stuff on my phone in case it's lost.

I don't have any security log in on my phone.

Well - some of us travel more than half the time. I'm often away from home and need to pay bills, buy/sell investments, read and respond to e-mail, buy parts or tools on line, or book a quick flight, or rental car, or hotel. Often those things need to be done that day, and can't wait until I am at a hotel that night with a computer. Often, I don't even bring a computer with me.

There are times when booking a flight, or rental car, in the next ten minutes is the difference between getting home that day, or waiting until the next.

My phone is protected via fingerprint, which is more secure than passcode. Yes, via fingerprint ID, I can log in to Schwab, Vanguard, T. Rowe Price, three different banks, my insurance company, e-mail, and a dozen hotel/car/airline apps. The phone is backed up and if it gets lost or stolen, will brick itself after ten failed password entries. I don't worry about security because the fingerprint is so fast, and so much more secure than a password.

It's incredibly powerful and fast and I can do everything I need, right when I need it. I will upgrade to a 5G device soon, just to have the speed.

For most tasks, I prefer my laptop, too, but it's not cellular, and it doesn't fit in a jacket pocket.

Well - some of us travel more than half the time. I'm often away from home and need to pay bills, buy/sell investments, read and respond to e-mail, buy parts or tools on line, or book a quick flight, or rental car, or hotel. Often those things need to be done that day, and can't wait until I am at a hotel that night with a computer. Often, I don't even bring a computer with me.

There are times when booking a flight, or rental car, in the next ten minutes is the difference between getting home that day, or waiting until the next.

My phone is protected via fingerprint, which is more secure than passcode. Yes, via fingerprint ID, I can log in to Schwab, Vanguard, T. Rowe Price, three different banks, my insurance company, e-mail, and a dozen hotel/car/airline apps. The phone is backed up and if it gets lost or stolen, will brick itself after ten failed password entries. I don't worry about security because the fingerprint is so fast, and so much more secure than a password.

It's incredibly powerful and fast and I can do everything I need, right when I need it. I will upgrade to a 5G device soon, just to have the speed.

For most tasks, I prefer my laptop, too, but it's not cellular, and it doesn't fit in a jacket pocket.
Definitely can see how you would need to use your phone for that!

I spent a lot of nights in DC or New York back in the day, because I didn’t have that capability. And I would have to find a pay phone to call a hotel and see if they had rooms.

In addition to the obvious convenience of being able to shop/buy/do business, the smart phone has made a huge difference in my quality of life as a commuting pilot.

I pay for an international plan so that I’ve got the same capability whether I’m in the US or overseas.

Smartphones are great tools, if you use them as such.

When I was moving from Canada to CA, heck, even just getting to the interview, my smartphone made things so much easier and more efficient.

Things like uploading documents is also much easier with a smartphone. Instead of using a scanner or fax machine, just snap some pics and upload. Of course ask for a secure server when uploading personal info. Don’t email this kind of stuff.

Is the fingerprint scanner only useful for those whose hands are pink and soft and manicured regularly?
Pretty much, my finger prints were so bad I couldn't use it at all, yet the only way I can setup Apple Pay in the past were to use finger print at least once. I think I ran into a problem with doordash once when I was on vacation, ordering delivery away from the tourist trap I was stuck in.

I use passcode and physical credit card otherwise.

What's the point of a fingerprint scanner? If someone steals your phone, they make a bunch of long distance or international calls? I can see it as just a gimmick that can break and leave you unable to make a call.
It helps you unlock your phone when you are unable to see the screen (i.e. driving). It is also supposed to be faster. I know I shouldn't do it but it helps when your screen lock up and turn black in the middle of driving and you want to turn on the map fast.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be an exact match. It's really looking for minutiae with their relative location and direction. Even if a few minutiae are missing or damaged, it will probably work. It's not really looking for a one in a billion certainty.
Typically I need to try like 5 times each to unlock once successfully.

Because then you do not need to go home. Driving around just to use a screen is so 1995.

Say you are on the road and you have a plan change and you want to book a hotel. Instead of driving along the highway and just pay the walk in price when you can go on the phone and pick the best one available for the price? Why would you go home when you can look up where to eat and what to get locally when you are on the road relying on the road sign? You can also use your phone to search for prices and use it to price match in store (Target will price match Walmart, Amazon, Home Depot, BestBuy, etc)?

One time when I rent a car I couldn't figure out where is the car seat buckle, and I found it on YouTube in 10 mins vs "drive home and find a computer with a 20-30 inch screen". Pretty useful huh?

ahh I remember the good old days before this crap made life so much more complicated
tenor.gif

ahh I remember the good old days before this crap made life so much more complicated
tenor.gif
My in-laws live in good old days with a flip phone and no texting or computer. They spend lots of time on hold and going places because they cannot seem to look anything up wasting lots of time and energy. They get so mad going to DMV and directed to a computer to sign up to do anything. I almost feel their at their age they feel entitled to service because they refuse to use technology.

My old Samsung S4 mini is soon to no longer be supported by my carrier, Ting.

I had some other Samsung phones from my dad that I used as mp3 players, or accellerometer or Lux or Db apps, which technically are supported, when I plugged in the IMEI number, and having ordered a new Sim card.

But getting trac phone to unlock them, induced a seething fury that caused the splintering of much wood via Latin machete, a process not yet finished as the hatred rage and fury of the attempt to accomplish the task, still lingers.

I resigned myself to buying a Samsung A11 from Ting, even though I have 3 other phones technically supported by my network, but all originally came from trac fone, and I cant even begin to relate how detestable I find their customer service.

I am usually pretty good at deciphering accents, but half of what was said was not to be understood. As far as i was able to understand, I had to open up a new account with them, in order to have the phone unlocked or be provided with the unlock code. I just hung up after asking for a 4th time what the eff she just said. Just gimme the dang unlock code.
Not to be.

The Samsung A11 has a fingerprint scanner, although I never used a screen lock before.

Looking at the finger which would be scanned, if i were to use it, reveals many deep scratches, and callous splits , which will always be a bit different depending on the tasks of the previous days.
If I were to decide to use the fingerprint scanner, would I be likely to be locked from the phone as I actually use my hands and my fingerprints often get all smeared slashed and burnt and embedded with crud?

Is the fingerprint scanner only useful for those whose hands are pink and soft and manicured regularly?

I often just take my dremel and a barrel sander to clean my fingertips as it is far faster and more effective than dawn dishsoap and sand or a scotchbrite pad.

Hate wearing gloves.
Nope won't get locked out ! after five tries at scanning you have to use your pin code.

My Moto G7 makes me use my pin code every once in a while even if the fingerprint works. I have four of my fingers registered just incase one gets cut off. I like it way better than entering a code every time, much faster.

Back