Smartphone-based OBD-II scanners?

I’ve been borrowing an Autel Maxisys MS906BT and I like the power of it but I don’t need or have a reason to splurge on something similar for my needs. I’ve been looking at an Autel AP200 dongle. According to them, it provides similar functionality as their pro-level scanners and provides enhanced diagnostics for one car line out of the box, additional car lines are $20/year. It works with iOS and Android, given that many of Autel’s scanners run Android 4 Kit-Kat or 5 Ice Cream Sandwich on older Samsung/Mediatek SOCs, I might buy an Galaxy Tab for it.

Most of the things I care for are Toyota/Lexus so I’m covered there. Primarily, I want something that can carry out the brake bleed routine on a Prius and maybe EPB service on a Subaru.

I have a Carista OBD-II ELM327 dongle that’s good for basic code reading. I’ll keep in the car always for a CEL.

What’s the opinion on these “enhanced” OBD-II dongles.

No experience with them here, but they are a very welcome sight for the diy crowd I think. Getting a full system scan tool for $70+extras is a good price. You might look at the ThinkTools ThinkDiag sometime also. I also don’t know much about them either, but they seem to be related to Launch. Similar concept to your AP200 except that ThinkDiag seems to also allow access to bidirectional control. Give us a review if you get AP200!

I have an AP200. It's done everything I've needed it to, including programming transponder keys for my Acura.

The only thing that will get you is that Honda and Acura are two separate lines with them, and I highly suspect Toyota and Lexus would be as well.

I've already made up my mind that if I need to use it for my Honda on a regular basis I'm just going to buy another one and have a lifetime subscription for each dongle instead of paying $20 yearly. I originally picked Acura as that's what I needed it for at that moment.

Still works for general OBD2 stuff on the Honda, just none of the advanced stuff.

I’ve been borrowing an Autel Maxisys MS906BT and I like the power of it but I don’t need or have a reason to splurge on something similar for my needs. I’ve been looking at an Autel AP200 dongle. According to them, it provides similar functionality as their pro-level scanners and provides enhanced diagnostics for one car line out of the box, additional car lines are $20/year. It works with iOS and Android, given that many of Autel’s scanners run Android 4 Kit-Kat or 5 Ice Cream Sandwich on older Samsung/Mediatek SOCs, I might buy an Galaxy Tab for it.

Most of the things I care for are Toyota/Lexus so I’m covered there. Primarily, I want something that can carry out the brake bleed routine on a Prius and maybe EPB service on a Subaru.

I have a Carista OBD-II ELM327 dongle that’s good for basic code reading. I’ll keep in the car always for a CEL.

What’s the opinion on these “enhanced” OBD-II dongles.
They are good for basic monitoring, Carista & Blue Driver are the best of the bunch in this type.

I've already made up my mind that if I need to use it for my Honda on a regular basis I'm just going to buy another one and have a lifetime subscription for each dongle instead of paying $20 yearly. I originally picked Acura as that's what I needed it for at that moment.

I'll second that advice. It's cheaper to just buy another one to have the lifetime software rather than paying the subscription fee if you plan on owning your car for a few years.

The Hyper Tough version(HT200) of the Autel AP200 from Walmart is the typically the lowest price by the way. It's identical to the AP200. If you specifically purchase an Autel branded one, be sure that it's the "full system" version. They sell a lot of other versions now and every one I've seen has limited functionality in comparison to the all system version.

Besides the Autel AP200, the "Thinktool" brand dongles are also another good choice and some of those have a lot more capabilities(active tests/bidirectional controls) than the Autel. Those do have expiring software though, so you'll have to pay after whatever included subscription runs out. Even with the expiration date, it still may make sense to choose one of those if you need the upgraded functionality.

These days most scanners are bluetooth with a tablet...our Launch uses a Lenovo 10'' tablet. It does all the things a tablet will do, and is a scanner too. No reason you can't put the program on your own tablet or phone...if they will let you.

I use an AP200 and love it. The lifetime subscription I picked is for Chrysler (needed to reset a CEL because I pulled the ABS fuse to do donuts in my driveway 😅) but that lets me use it on our Grand Caravan and Ram no problem.

These days most scanners are bluetooth with a tablet...our Launch uses a Lenovo 10'' tablet. It does all the things a tablet will do, and is a scanner too. No reason you can't put the program on your own tablet or phone...if they will let you.
Yea, there is an iOS app available - but given Autel’s tablets are running Android I’m leaning towards installing it on my work phone(Samsung S10) or buying an Galaxy Tab.

The reviews of the app seem better at the Google Play store vs the App Store.

Back