Help with OBD-2 software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

i drive nissan versa.

i recently bought an OBD-II cable from amazon for a cheap price (ELM327 interface - OBD-II to USB wire)...

Some softwares such as scanxl, and scanmaster-elm were provided..
i tried connecting the car to the computer using these software's...
it managed to successfully connect, however it gave me no reading except battery voltage..
no coolant temperature, rpm, speed, etc, etc, etc

however, i connected my friends toyota yaris, and my friends lexus ls400, and using the same softwares it gave me loads of readings... (coolant temperature, oxygen sensor voltages, MAF, etc etc etc)...

Upon some further research, i found out that nissan versa can easily gives data using the bluetooth adapter..
the bluetooth adapter easily connects to the android tablet app...
for versa, the bluetooth adapter is connected using protocol ISO 14230-4(Fast Init)...
however when i connect automatically connect using the usb cable, it connects using protocol ISO 9141-2 (5 baud, 10.4Kbaud)...
some searching showed me protocols ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4 are very similar. They are using the same physical layer. some softwares are known recognizing 14230-4 as 9141 incorrectly.
when i try to specifically try to connect to protocol ISO 14230-4, it gives me an error...

Basically i wanted your guys help, i just wanted a free software that can help me to read the values using the OBD cable.
i dont want to clear any codes or anything, i just want to read the data...
i want to read the coolant temperatures, MAF, air-fuel ratio (to see at what speed i get highest air-fuel ratio) etc...

I just need a software that can help me to read data from my nissan versa using the OBD-2 usb cable.

Last edited:
i dont know much about those protocols either, just the 2 names i know and i read that they are similar...

the rest of the post is about OBD cable :p, which is by many people to read their car data.

torque works with my car, however it is for use with bluetooth adapters.

i have a obd-II cable that has usb connection on the other side, which i can connect to my laptop.

If the PIDs are not reported to the ECM in a way that can be picked up by the bluetooth/wifi/etc. device, then you will not be able to see them on a scanner, or any app.

I would LOVE to be able to see the ACTUAL oil pressure/temps on my iPod via the PLX Kiwi device and Dash Command app, but I cannot.
frown.gif

This is what happens-

[for my car, using ELM327 usb interface]
It connects properly to the ECU (automatically connects to protocol ISO 9141-2), but it does not read/recognize the PID. (It recognizes the available PID's, but it cannot read them).

[however for another car, same model as mine, i know someone who did this]
Used a bluetooth ELM327 interface, it connects using protocol ISO 14230-4 , and it can read the PIDS. Works normal and gives data.

Will any screenshots from my side help to investigate the problem?

Do you guys know any OBD forums, since i asked in about 4 forums, but i didnt get a reply from any of them, as they seem dead.

You know lot more about OBD protocols than 99% of the contributors here. You can seek out hardcore people who actually program the ELM327 chip-set. Some of them hang around at mp3carforum.

Frankly, what you have got has some bugs and there is really nothing that you can do with that piece of software to fix it. You have no sources for it or the ability to rebuild it. There are plethora of software available for ELM327 and even more hardware devices. Get a different one and forget about what you have. When the hardware devices can be obtained under $15 shipped to your house, there is really no point in wasting your time on this un-supported device.

But I can guess that you are an engineer and you have taken this as a challenge upon yourself but sometimes you just have to do
"chhodo de yaar" or "jaoode re baaba, kashala wel ghalawatos" or "ugachya ugach kashala zaq maratos"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back