Smaller Oil Filter & Mann Hummel Equivalents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Frontier takes the same filter as the Honda? (Fram 7317, Wix 57356, Puro 14610, Bosch 3323) That is what it looks like.

The only thing I don’t really care for (well besides the price) about the standard WIX in this size is that the base end bypass takes up some real estate.

Bosch in the US have been Purolators though there hasn’t always been a direct cross (IE D+ and Synthetic are unique in respective lines) I stay away from Purolator made filters at this point.

Each manufacturer tends to have a unique tapping plate design, Purolators are pretty easy to sort out in this size. Can inking can also be a give away.

PL14610slotsBLUE4.jpg

Purolator - Note the two pieces and that the outer layer extends almost to the threads.

Puro PL14610 - 15 min (Yellow Slotted)

Puro PL14610 - Virgin (BLUE, Slotted)

Puro PBL14610 - Virgin (GREY, Slotted)

Puro L14610 - Virgin (RED, Slotted)

57356W3.jpg

Wix

Wix 57356 - Virgin - M+H

Wix 57356XP - Virgin - M+H

TG7317N3.jpg

Fram

Honda 15400-PLM-A02 (Fram) - Virgin

Fram TG7317 - Virgin - 2018 Model

Fram PH7317 - Virgin - Silicone ADBV

FRAM XG7317 Honda Applications

I know you had a bad experience with Fram, and I can respect that, but IMO they are the best choice currently.

M1-110A3.jpg

Champion

Mobil 1 M1-110A - Virgin

I was pleased to learn the nearly 3x-sized with a better nominal rating used on my 1970 Chrysler 440 actually fits a 2017 Jetta 1.4T:

Filter Sizes

It's big enough to make a significant increase in sump size on this tiny engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JaCkaL829
Wow, that's a lot of back and fourth over the small vs large filter, didn't realize it would get that intense lol.

As I said earlier in this thread, I had no intention in using a smaller filter, was just surprised that a quick lube would use it, but I guess this isn't too uncommon.

The real reason behind the thread was to determine a good filter to use, and how far the Mann/Hummel filter reached. I know they own most of the companies I've looked into, but not sure what that means in difference in terms of filters.

I didn't mention this in my inital post but my truck suffers a small chatter (maybe 1-2 secs.) at startup very randomly. I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier VQ40DE 4.0. From everything I read online and forums this is a relatively 'normal' thing that many people have experienced. I would get it randomly, with varying loudness. My truck is out of warranty, and I don't have faith they the problem would be easily reproduced, and how much I should be concerned as many people have reported way more miles than me. I did improve it significantly when I changed my oil to Magnatec and put on a Carquest premium filter. My last oil change I put on a Napa Gold filter with same amount and type of oil in it, and I feel like it's been a little bit more frequently. That was another reason why I've been looking this up.

From what I've been able to piece together from reading lots of different posts on different forums is that at some point in time Carquest filters went from Wix to Purolator filters. Napa Gold are still Wix filters. I initally was gonna return my filters, and just get something different. But, looking at frontier forums I've found about 4-5 different posts reporting Bosch Premium filters have helped with the startup noise. When I looked up Bosch and who actually makes them I was getting lots of posts claiming they we're the same as Purolator Pure One AKA Carquest Premium. So now I'm 'torn' no pun intended on what filter to use, the one the reduced startup chatter, or the one that is proven not to tear.

Keep in mind what I wrote above has nothing scientific to it, I'm just trying to get a good setup for my truck for miles to come.

I do enjoy this forum, along with the great information, and detailed photos (Thanks Robert). I do feel a lot like Neo in the Matrix and taking the red pill learning a whole lot of information that the normal person wouldn't want to know or care to know.
Yes-if you have an engine that has timing chain noise on a cold start-Magnatec and a silicone ADBV filter helps quite a bit. My Grand Marquis had Valvoline 5W30 and a Federated jobber shorty filter on it when I bought it, sounded horrible for 3-4 seconds if it sat for more than a day without being driven-switched to 5W20 Magnatec & a Fram Ultra XG2-noise basically disappeared. Even the old style CQ Blue, both Wix/Affinia & Fram made, filters didn't do as well.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: JaCkaL829
Wow, that's a lot of back and fourth over the small vs large filter, didn't realize it would get that intense lol.

As I said earlier in this thread, I had no intention in using a smaller filter, was just surprised that a quick lube would use it, but I guess this isn't too uncommon.

The real reason behind the thread was to determine a good filter to use, and how far the Mann/Hummel filter reached. I know they own most of the companies I've looked into, but not sure what that means in difference in terms of filters.

I didn't mention this in my inital post but my truck suffers a small chatter (maybe 1-2 secs.) at startup very randomly. I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier VQ40DE 4.0. From everything I read online and forums this is a relatively 'normal' thing that many people have experienced. I would get it randomly, with varying loudness. My truck is out of warranty, and I don't have faith they the problem would be easily reproduced, and how much I should be concerned as many people have reported way more miles than me. I did improve it significantly when I changed my oil to Magnatec and put on a Carquest premium filter. My last oil change I put on a Napa Gold filter with same amount and type of oil in it, and I feel like it's been a little bit more frequently. That was another reason why I've been looking this up.

From what I've been able to piece together from reading lots of different posts on different forums is that at some point in time Carquest filters went from Wix to Purolator filters. Napa Gold are still Wix filters. I initally was gonna return my filters, and just get something different. But, looking at frontier forums I've found about 4-5 different posts reporting Bosch Premium filters have helped with the startup noise. When I looked up Bosch and who actually makes them I was getting lots of posts claiming they we're the same as Purolator Pure One AKA Carquest Premium. So now I'm 'torn' no pun intended on what filter to use, the one the reduced startup chatter, or the one that is proven not to tear.

Keep in mind what I wrote above has nothing scientific to it, I'm just trying to get a good setup for my truck for miles to come.

I do enjoy this forum, along with the great information, and detailed photos (Thanks Robert). I do feel a lot like Neo in the Matrix and taking the red pill learning a whole lot of information that the normal person wouldn't want to know or care to know.
Yes-if you have an engine that has timing chain noise on a cold start-Magnatec and a silicone ADBV filter helps quite a bit. My Grand Marquis had Valvoline 5W30 and a Federated jobber shorty filter on it when I bought it, sounded horrible for 3-4 seconds if it sat for more than a day without being driven-switched to 5W20 Magnatec & a Fram Ultra XG2-noise basically disappeared. Even the old style CQ Blue, both Wix/Affinia & Fram made, filters didn't do as well.

JaCkaL829 - I find something very similar with the 2004 Ford Ranger 4L V6. When the ADBV begins to leak, I get noise from the cam chains during startup. I would add I get better results with the Fram Tough Guard and NAPA full Synthetic 5W30 than I do with Fram TG and VML 5W30. The viscosity of the oil when you park the vehicle and the length of time the vehicle sets are factors. I would rather have a filter that does not tear over one that tears but has a good ADBV.

Thank you Robert for all those nicely photographed oil filter internals, I did look at them all. Seems like they all have an 'issue', the purolator is the pleats, the wix has a smaller amount of filter media, it appears from the past three posts that the Fram should be strongly re-considered. It's just ironic that when I searched my model's Fram Ultra on Amazon it was reasonably priced, and the reviews we're pretty high. One of the few negative reviews claimed it made the startup chatter louder on a Nissan Pathfinder with 4.0. So it could have been fluke, I'm not really sure.

As for my oil choice I'm content with it, so it looks I'll be returning the carquest premium and pick up a Fram Ultra when the time is right. It's quite interesting how so many filers are rebranded from 1-2 manufacturers, but with subtle differences.

I forgot to mention the original 'smaller' blue filter in my first post is a Mobil Clean MO4612. I looked up the service receipt when I was at my parents' house this evening. I couldn't find too much info on it online, other than the cross reference charts. It appears to be used primarily by shops and quick lube places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back