Small Studio Monitor quality bookshelf speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
I'm happy with my ELAC's currently.
Which model do you have?

DB61BK. They've moved onto other numbers, FYI.

I'm happy with my ELAC's currently.
Which model do you have?

DB61BK. They've moved onto other numbers, FYI.

Ah, yes, that's the original Debut series, I think.

I presently own the PSB Image B4 and the Dynaudio DM2/6. Both are wonderful sounding audiophile speakers. The PSB's are more forgiving of the electronics and associated equipment and cabling. (Over the yrs. have owned Spendors/Harbeth's and countless other great spks.) My recommendation is to check out on Ebay Stephensons_electronics. They state they are an authorized PSB dealer out of Canada w/a perfect 100% rating. They have the Imagine Mini (which is the higher end bookshelf speaker of my Image B4.) in black and white finish for a STEAL. $303.66 White/$379.77 Black. These are a real wood veneer finish. BUT....my be subject to customs processing and additional charges. They would be perfect for your application. So many out there to choose from! Good Luck w/your quest.

ALERT !

Boston Acoustics A25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uewzm2mwxc0

$79 ea. dollar bargain now at :

accessories4less

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosa25gba/boston-acoustics-a25-5.25-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-gloss-black-each/1.html#!condition

Not sure about desktop use, they are designed to sound big in a small room on stands,

Last super high tech job I worked with many of the Boston Acoustic engineers cut loose when BA left town. A Good troupe.

I still use 1990's vintage BA CR8 for casual listening. Very Musical especially after I hotrodded then to run my speaker wire right to the crossover board.

An Inside secret and Biggest hifi tweek:

"every solder joint is a veil , every solder joint avoided is a veil lifted; every contact point is a thick veil, every contact point removed is a thick veil lifted."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
ALERT !

Boston Acoustics A25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uewzm2mwxc0

$79 ea. dollar bargain now at :

accessories4less

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosa25gba/boston-acoustics-a25-5.25-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-gloss-black-each/1.html#!condition

It's actually $79.99 for the first one, and $40 for the second one, which is a great deal for a nice looking speaker.

It may not be the most accurate speaker out there, according to stereophile, but at this price point, one shouldn't be overly picky.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/boston-acoustics-25-loudspeaker

A4L doesn't have a great return policy (10% restocking fee + buyer pays return shipping), so just be mindful of that. They're located near Orlando, if that helps the OP to show up there in person. I bought a refurbished Denon AVR from them last year and have been happy with it. But the refurbished Pioneer AVR I bought before that had issues and I sent it back.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I'm heading down to the local store to see what they have.
Any updates? What have you found?

I've not found anything yet. The Polk S15's at Best Buy are really too big. Not sure they sound all that good either. Hard to tell on their display setup.

EDIT:

The Boston's suggested above seem like a great deal, so I ordered them. If I don't like them for this application, they will become garage stereo speakers! $135 including shipping and tax. Awesome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
The Boston's suggested above seem like a great deal, so I ordered them. If I don't like them for this application, they will become garage stereo speakers! $135 including shipping and tax. Awesome.

thumbsup2.gif

What amp and sub are you going to pair them with?

So the A25 Boston's arrived the next day (UPS Orlando FL to Jupiter FL is always overnight) and I hooked them up. They sound good, with a nice smooth overall characteristic. It took only a touch of equalization to get them just right. However, I noticed after the fact that one of the woofer's cone shaped dust cap is way off center. Nothing like Chinese quality. I absolutely can't tell any difference in sound quality between the two speakers, so I'm not sending it back. The grills will remain on, so I don't think it matters.

Overall I'm pleased with how they sound, they look great, and it's just what I needed. Thanks for the help.

^^ China?? ^^ Really ???

How sad, nothing is the way of the past, what made Bostons so famous was their earth shattering A-40s at such as low cost in the 1980s ... I had them, they were amazing as well as their follow up products, like everything I am sure Bostons name have been sold off long ago from the original founders..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
^^ China?? ^^ Really ???

How sad, nothing is the way of the past,

Yup. It's hard to find speakers NOT made in China nowadays, even from well known mid/higher end companies, including Paradigm. Possibly some top of the line Klipsch are still made in USA? Not sure.

If you eliminate "made in China" from your shopping list, you won't have much to choose from, unless you're willing to spend a fortune maybe. Some of the "made in China" speakers are not bad at all, IMO. From the ones I own (Chane, Jamo, Mission, PSB, Monitor Audio, JBL), I'd say quality is fine.

^^ China?? ^^ Really ???

How sad, nothing is the way of the past,

Yup. It's hard to find speakers NOT made in China nowadays, even from well known mid/higher end companies, including Paradigm. Possibly some top of the line Klipsch are still made in USA? Not sure.

If you eliminate "made in China" from your shopping list, you won't have much to choose from, unless you're willing to spend a fortune maybe. Some of the "made in China" speakers are not bad at all, IMO. From the ones I own (Chane, Jamo, Mission, PSB, Monitor Audio, JBL), I'd say quality is fine.

Yup, the lower tier Paradigm speakers (formerly the monitor series) are made in China now. You have to step up to one of the higher tier offerings to get ones still made in Canada
frown.gif

I like my JBL Studio series speakers, have a pair of 6" S26 and a pair of 8" S38 's. ldies but goodies.
cheers3.gif

Mission and Paradigm too?
Say it isn't so!

I had, l forgot the model number, Mission decades ago. Large bookshelf's, had the tweeter in the middle between the two woofers, the backing where the drivers were screwed into were silver color. Got them to handle the power of my NAD amp, I blew the Boston A40s with it when I upgraded to the NAD amp with separate preamp.
The Missions could handle anything I could throw at them.

Then to be replaced with the Paradigms, which I still have to this day, it was their more economical model at the time, highly praised in Stereo Review and other magazines at the time, made in Canada.
To this day, still amazing speakers and can not find a reason to replace them, still look and sound like new, just amazing.
Miss those days where things had value, including the ownership of these companies were very public and proud of their products.

Last edited:
Mission and Paradigm too?
Say it isn't so!

I had, l forgot the model number, Mission decades ago. Large bookshelf's, had the tweeter in the middle between the two woofers, the backing where the drivers were screwed into were silver color. Got them to handle the power of my NAD amp, I blew the Boston A40s with it when I upgraded to the NAD amp with separate preamp.
The Missions could handle anything I could throw at them.

Then to be replaced with the Paradigms, which I still have to this day, it was their more economical model at the time, highly praised in Stereo Review and other magazines at the time, made in Canada.
To this day, still amazing best in wall home theater speakers and can not find a reason to replace them, still look and sound like new, just amazing.
Miss those days where things had value, including the ownership of these companies were very public and proud of their products.

Is there a better way to really gauge the best In Wall Home Theater Speakers that are now available online?

Originally Posted by Olas
Bower & Wilkins

Most B&W speakers have a very specific sound signature - major dip at 2 kHz, and elevated treble response. I suppose it makes them sound more exciting that way and I'm sure some people enjoy it. If, on the other hand, one is looking for accuracy, B&W is not it.

Bower & Wilkins

Most B&W speakers have a very specific sound signature - major dip at 2 kHz, and elevated treble response. I suppose it makes them sound more exciting that way and I'm sure some people enjoy it. If, on the other hand, one is looking for accuracy, B&W is not it.

How does that work when they are used as Studio Monitor speakers? Or does that only apply to specific models?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Bower & Wilkins

How does that work when they are used as Studio Monitor speakers? Or does that only apply to specific models?

I am not a sound engineer, but it is my understanding that for sound mixing, you want monitors that provide a flat frequency response. Granted, even those that do have flat response in an anechoic chamber will be impacted by room acoustics, so you may need to do some EQing to achieve that flat response. I guess fewer EQ corrections will be required if the speakers are flat to begin with.

Looking at some of the measurements on this website, it appears that most of the B&W speakers they tested have a similar sound signature, which means it was probably intentional on B&W's part:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...mp;view=article&id=16&Itemid=140

I am not knocking B&W here, by the way. Most of us do prefer a bit of a V- or U-shaped response for casual listening, as it makes the sound 'pop' more and appears more crisp and detailed. Alas, in a studio, in a near-field application, bright sounding speakers can result in ear fatigue if you have to listen to them all day long. This is one reason I use PSB Alpha B for my desktop speakers - they are less bright than many other speakers I've tried in this duty in the past. I usually have them playing throughout the day as I work in front of my computer. Now, for casual listening in the living room or garage, I wouldn't mind brighter speakers.

A lot of it is about personal preference, which reinforces the advice that the best way to choose speakers is to listen to them in your own room and not rely on reviews and recommendations of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back