Small Lithium Ion Jump Starters ??

I have 2 DBPower 2000A/20800mAh portable jump starters, one for my wifes Malibu and Regal GS, used once to jump-start my 83 Silverado when I ran the battery down. Cranked right up. ;)

For those who are "in the know" about Lithium Ion battery technology..... If Lithium is one of the lightest metals on Earth. Why are Lithium Ion batteries so heavy? Cell phones weigh a LOT for their size. And some of these Lithium Ion battery boosters weigh over 4 pounds.

For those who are "in the know" about Lithium Ion battery technology..... If Lithium is one of the lightest metals on Earth. Why are Lithium Ion batteries so heavy? Cell phones weigh a LOT for their size. And some of these Lithium Ion battery boosters weigh over 4 pounds.
Cell phones can be heavy because of the glass and the other metals that make up the phone.

The “lithium” in lithium batteries is in a compound such as LiFePO4, LiCoO2 or LiMn2O4, not pure lithium. The jump packs also have pretty big wiring going from the battery to the clamps/connector for the clamps, as well as any other circuitry for protection and whatnot.

Last edited:
NOCO GB70.. can start 3L straight six gasser without a battery. Struggled, but started a 4 cylinder kubota skidsteer where the battery was too weak to turn over. Pretty impressive and can start a lot of vehicles if there's still a battery installed.

Have you had to use it?
Not yet. My Toyota is coming up on a new battery. (Probably before the dead of Summer hits). It's the original battery, (2018). I'm going to test it then. I'll pull the old battery, then connect the Gooloo directly to the terminals. It has a "Boost" button for when your battery is totally dead. I'll see how it performs.

Exactly. They'll work on a modern EFI that will pop right off as long as it can spin the starter over. Something that has to crank a lot, nope.

But a 10 year old EFI vehicle with a battery that just buzzes the starter solenoid? Perfect!
For what it’s worth, I can get three starts of a carbed SBC out of my Noco GB40.

I can get at least seven starts of a modern Ford Edge (3.5L I believe) out of same.

Back