small, lite diesels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing? Small and lite diesel engines?

I remember the 3 cyl. supercharged one in the 1970's Gamma Goat. But it wasn't so lite.

There are small air-cooled diesels made by Yanmar. They are reasonably light. There are also Petter-type diesel engines which are small, but quite heavy at about 300 pounds.

In that range, a typical diesel would be over 500 pounds. The Lister-Petter DWS4 produces about 62HP and weighs 550 pounds.

The old 1.6/1.9 TD IDI's and the newer VW Lupo engine (3 cylinder I think). The Smart car/Swatch mobile has a 3 cylinder turbo too. BMW Canada may be able to supply one of those if you need it badly enough.

Steve

I think the old Mercedes 4 cylinder diesel engines are used in industrial applications such as providing power for refrigeration units on overseas shipping containers.

Also, I remember that there are small diesel engines on some Thermo King refrigeration units on semi trailers in the US. I have used these many times, but I do not know what their power output is.

- Patrick

VW Lupo 1.1(?) Three cylinder diesel.. about 92 MPG. 0-60 in like 16 seconds. VW made a Rally car that went around the world. the best they got was 110 MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back