SM rated oil ok in Honda GC series engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this has not been covered as I have tried searching the forums, but cannot search for the small words such as API, SJ, SM, etc.

I have two Honda GC series engine. I have the GCV160 on my 2006 Craftsman lawn mower whose Sears written manual calls for API SG-SL and a GC160 on my 2000 Honda HS520 snowblower whose manual calls for API SJ. Neither manual states "or later" as I have seen in vehicle manuals.

I have also seen some Honda issued owners manuals for these engines online that state:

Quote:
Use 4-stroke motor oil that meets or exceeds the requirements for API service classification SH, SJ, or equivalent. Always check the API service label on the oil container to be sure it includes the letters SH, SJ, or equivalent.

I have come across one Honda manual that states:

Quote:
The SAE oil viscosity and service category are in the API label on the oil container. Honda recommends that you use API service category SJ oil or later (or equivalent).

What the heck does "or later (or equivalent)" mean?

Are there any issues using an SM rated oil (or whatever the current standard of the day) is on these engines? Was it an oversight not to state "or later" or did Honda specifically do this because the specs on upcoming oil standards are unknown? Am I best off looking for an oil that is rated to the older spec?

To be safe some are going with an oil like Amsoil ASE.

It's SL,SJ,SH

SM may have less anti-wear additives to protect the platinum in catalytic converters.

I use "off road oils" in my yard equiptment that are non-SM.

My .02

I have been using SM rated oil in my GCV160, but the thought crossed my mind that maybe there is something in the older specs that is no longer in the SM oil.

Pete591 said what I was thinking in regards to the potential of less anti-wear additives in the newer oils.

I will not go crazy to ensure I'm only using a SL, SJ or SH oil, but when I run out of the SM oil I have I'll see if something with the older rating is easily found.

I like the diesel type oils for the flat tappet engines.
They have the "older type" anti wear additives, since diesels don't have catalytic converters.

I bought Amsoil small engine formula for fairly cheap for my Honda GCV160 and Troy Bilt edger. Ran it this last season and the oil still looks great.

I'm using Amsoil ASE in my summer OPE, but I haven't noticed that equipment running on it seems to be louder. Pushrod, valve ticking, that sort of thing.

In the past I've used M1 10W30, M1 0W40 (finishing off a bottle), Esso XD3 15W40 and ASE makes the equipment the loudest of the bunch.

I'm presently using it in a Honda GXV140 and GC160. I just put it in the GC160 (power washer) for the first time a week or two ago. The GC160 was also whisper quiet when idling and whatnot, not I can hear ticking and other noise.

I sounds like the "Mobil1 effect", except M1 was quieter. I sure like the idea of a syn straight 30, and ASE has a great add pack from what I've seen, but I'm not so sure I like the extra noises.

I like the more robust add pack in HDEO's, so, if I must use an SM/SL rated oil, it's Rotella T 10-30 for anything that carried a recommendation of SH/SG.

It's about impossible to find anything in SH/SG grades anymore, unless you shell out the $$$ for a motorcycle specific oil.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
I'm using Amsoil ASE in my summer OPE, but I haven't noticed that equipment running on it seems to be louder. Pushrod, valve ticking, that sort of thing.

In the past I've used M1 10W30, M1 0W40 (finishing off a bottle), Esso XD3 15W40 and ASE makes the equipment the loudest of the bunch.

I'm presently using it in a Honda GXV140 and GC160. I just put it in the GC160 (power washer) for the first time a week or two ago. The GC160 was also whisper quiet when idling and whatnot, not I can hear ticking and other noise.

I sounds like the "Mobil1 effect", except M1 was quieter. I sure like the idea of a syn straight 30, and ASE has a great add pack from what I've seen, but I'm not so sure I like the extra noises.

ASE was noisier in my Vanguard.

Went back to my 15W-50 50/50 M-1/Motul. Noises dmapened or gone. Go figeure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back