SM oil in an Equinox requiring dexos..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I stopped by a friends house yesterday and he was doing the first OCI (at 5K) on his 2011 Equinox. He had gone to Napa for the Napa synthetic that I told him about. I guess they had old stock because it was SM rated.
My friend was a once a year OCI guy with synthetic but I told him the new DI engines can be harder on oil and that he should probably stick with 5K changes.
The funny thing is he gets high mileage out of his cars
despite not being terribly concerned about oil brand (he always uses synthetic) or OCI interval.
I assume the SM oil won't be a problem....I didn't even point it out to him.

I see that NO NAPA brand oil is on GM's dexos' approved list. Since there are very many oils on this list, I would certainly advise using one while the vehicle is in warranty. Why ask for trouble if warranty work is required?

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
I see that NO NAPA brand oil is on GM's dexos' approved list. Since there are very many oils on this list, I would certainly advise using one while the vehicle is in warranty. Why ask for trouble if warranty work is required?

My friend is not the type to read his OM and use what GM recommends.
He is 60+ years old and has used whatever oil is on sale for as long as I've known him.
He uses synthetic and usually changes the filter midway between annual oil changes.
I don't like to 'preach' to people about oil but I did tell him about the fuel dilution issues in DI engines and that a 5K OCI would be prudent.
He has gotten over 200K out of several vehicles with his regimen so maybe he's smarter than me.

Originally Posted By: pbm

He is 60+ years old and has used whatever oil is on sale for as long as I've known him.
He uses synthetic and usually changes the filter midway between annual oil changes.
I don't like to 'preach' to people about oil but I did tell him about the fuel dilution issues in DI engines and that a 5K OCI would be prudent.
He has gotten over 200K out of several vehicles with his regimen so maybe he's smarter than me.

i probably wouldnt push it either. just keep an eye on it and let us know when or if he breaks down

Have any of them been DI motors? While I'm in the same boat as your friend (taken many a vehicle well past 200k) none of them have had the DI system so he should listen to you.

The DI systems are not normal.

Bill

My buddy(66 yrs old) is the same way! He too just bought an '11 Equinox 4 cyl fwd in April. He has yet to change the oil(3K miles) and is going to go to the dealer at around 5K miles for now as/per my recomendation.

We recently looked at the oils on the shelves at AAP and couldn't find any that stated "dexos 1", not even the synthetics. I have a recent post about not finding any oil meeting dexos 1.

Since the Midas Muffler/Brake that he frequents for out of warranty repairs and OCI's, doesn't carry nor is aware of dexos 1, the dealer is the safest bet.

He likely will have zero problems. Tell him his path is fine (as it always has been) and save his receipts, or just leave it be. I'm not sure why you would think he wouldn't get high miles out of his cars. Sure, DI's are very hard on oil. But even Group III synthetic at 5K will be fine.

I'd love to see GM try to deny any warranty claim in such a case - but it's not going to happen. Do some here REALLY think so? And don't trot out a dealer service writer, I'm talking about GM, not some 4th tier dealer employee.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

My buddy(66 yrs old) is the same way! He too just bought an '11 Equinox 4 cyl fwd in April. He has yet to change the oil(3K miles) and is going to go to the dealer at around 5K miles for now as/per my recomendation.

We recently looked at the oils on the shelves at AAP and couldn't find any that stated "dexos 1", not even the synthetics. I have a recent post about not finding any oil meeting dexos 1.

Since the Midas Muffler/Brake that he frequents for out of warranty repairs and OCI's, doesn't carry nor is aware of dexos 1, the dealer is the safest bet.

thats probably best incase he ever needs warranty work in the future

but heres a list if you need it
http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html

Originally Posted By: Pablo
He likely will have zero problems. Tell him his path is fine (as it always has been) and save his receipts, or just leave it be. I'm not sure why you would think he wouldn't get high miles out of his cars. Sure, DI's are very hard on oil. But even Group III synthetic at 5K will be fine.

I'd love to see GM try to deny any warranty claim in such a case - but it's not going to happen. Do some here REALLY think so? And don't trot out a dealer service writer, I'm talking about GM, not some 4th tier dealer employee.

im sure alot of oils would meet the spec if they were tested. but why risk it? i think we all just assume the engines are going to need work in the future....or atleast i do

Originally Posted By: electrolover

im sure alot of oils would meet the spec if they were tested. but why risk it? i think we all just assume the engines are going to need work in the future....or atleast i do

OK here we go. What EXACTLY does the owner's manual say in this car? Not what you THINK it says. Exact words. Scanned PDF is good.

I'm sure my friend isn't the first guy to use non-dexos (SM) oil in a dexos1 spec'd vehicle. At least he's using synthetic.
I plan on using only synthetic in my Cruze because of the turbo.
I'm sure many will use conventional oil in Cruze turbos as well.
It should be interesting to see how durability plays out...

Thanks for the link. Still no "shalls", but this manual does use the "require" word, but they soften it....and they have this:

Quote:

Use of Substitute Engine Oils if dexos is unavailable: In the event that dexos‐approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.

I have a 2010 Equinox with the 2.4L DI. Same engine as the 2011, but this was before the dexos spec. My manual says it has to meet the GM 6094 spec. The Napa synthetic SM does this, so it won't cause any problems with the engine. However, if he has an engine problem down the line, it might cause a problem as far as GM is concerned for warranty purposes. I suggest he use a dexos approved oil at 5-6k intervals, changing the filter every time (he'll need a special low profile soccket to change the filter).

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14700-Filter...4038&sr=8-1

An oil meeting the dexos1 specification provides improvements over GF-5 oils in the following areas:

- Wear protection
- Oxidative thickening
- Turbocharger protection
- Engine sludge protection
- Piston cleanliness
- Volatility

I would think these are important, with the last two being of particular importance in a DI engine.

so for wide availability he gets to choose from Mobil 1 , pp (not ultra), peak synthetic (advance auto), qs ultimate. Yeah coastal and motul are on the list too.
Or just any 5w30 he finds.

Even 5k is too long IMO.. 5k shows considerable fuel dilution in my 2010 Nox. 4k seems to be the sweet spot where fuel is beginning to creep up, but not to where it's a problem. Valvoline SynPower and Brad-Penn Ultimate Fuel Efficiency seem to do well in my DI engine, retaining viscosity, and showing low wear even with fuel present. Ironically, several very expensive synthetics did not do well with fuel present. I've settled on the Brad-Penn at less than 3.00 a quart for my Nox.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
use what the owners manual recommends period.

Excactly THIS!
Why chance it, really, unless you have money to burn, do what the mfr reocmmends so that if you have any warranty issues there is ZERO chance of not being covered.!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back