SLX/GC 0w-30 vs Syntec 5w-40 from Belgium...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I think we need to keep an eye on the 0w-30 to see if the LL-01 spec gets dropped , Patman is it still listed on your newest bottles ?

I just checked and the label on the new batch I got is still identical to the other batches I've got and still lists the LL-01 spec.

All I know is there are 2 5w-40s at the dealership. The TDI oil meets 505, 502 (this is what I bought at the Speed Shop, from Belgium) and one that is umm meets somthing beyond 503.01, the RS6 oil and that costs $$$ like over $12q. The part numbers have been posted here before. Man, is the RS6 any good, comared to ol 'GC? Where is it made? Is that potentially the NEW Formula R?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
This oil is looking better and better to me at least
smile.gif

Apparently it uses a blend of 68037-01-4 PAO along with the Shell XHVI 5.2 basestock . Now the percentages are unknown to me but those two basestocks are what the Shell Helix Ultra uses and it ain't no slouch
smile.gif

Less than 5 bucks a quart and a low 13.5 vi @ 100c with less than 3300cP @ -25c makes for a nice oil for many gasoline engines given the specs it meets . ISLAC GF-3 as well

SAE 5W-40: is engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Porsche approved and also exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL-98. Meets the engine protection requirements of Corvette GM 4718M, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Now I really think we will find that the new Castrol 0w-30 is comprised of the same two basestocks the 5w-40 is since neither is destined for sale beyond North America ... that synthetic thing and overseas ya know
smile.gif

So it's safe to assume that the Castrol Syntec 5w-40 has some GIII basestock since it meets the LL-98 standard, rather than LL-01? Is the Shell XHVI 5.2 basestock a GIII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back