Sludge Removal from 2019 Infiniti

I totaled out a Buick Encore a few days before going on a cruise. I had prepaid hotels booked and had to make a fast purchase. My choices were a Hertz rental or a lease return. I've always been afraid of leased vehicles, at least Hertz more or less changed the oil. I'm glad I made the choice I did.

I dont know what part of the country you are in but if you have been getting cold nights then some white clouds of water vapor on start is normal and if she does short trips with a start stop engine it may take a while for the exhaust system to warm up enough to clear completely. Make sure you check the coolant level and oil level and keep an eye on them. Not changing the oil wont cause the head gasket to let go unless it really overheated and I would expect mechanical wear leading to oil burning from neglected oil changes but that would be more blue and smell like burning oil. On top of that unless it was burning allot of oil the cat should clean that up before it gets to the tailpipe. If you dont have a check engine light just drive it and keep a close eye on the fluids to see if one is dropping.

Sorry I am new to this but if I have a mechanic do it professionally how is it an “experiment”.

I am trying to come up with a solution for her to fix the car so when she returns it it’s in good shape. I would think leaving as is and ignoring the issue and continuing to drive it with smoke coming out it is a worse “experiment” for the car.
First, check coolant.
Second, find reputable indy mechanic. Try yelp, google reviews. Probably there are numerous good indy mechanics in NYC area.

Oof. All you should do at this point is short of opening up the engine is to run a high deterrent oil in short intervals in an attempt to clean it up. That’s if sludge is even the problem. It sounds to me like there is permanent mechanical damage.

Oof. All you should do at this point is short of opening up the engine is to run a high deterrent oil in short intervals in an attempt to clean it up. That’s if sludge is even the problem. It sounds to me like there is permanent mechanical damage.
Mobil1 0W40 for some quick cleaning.

The mechanic who just changed the oil gave the exact same advice.

Just out of curiosity what makes it seem like permanent mechanical damage to you? Is there anyway to check if sludge is really the problem?

Just out of curiosity what makes it seem like permanent mechanical damage to you? Is there anyway to check if sludge is really the problem?
I would put in M1 0W40 and do a road trip of several 100’s miles. See is there consumption, coolant consumption etc.

I had a sludge issue with an old Ford truck that caused some issues with the valve train. I decided to try a solution-in-a-bottle before getting the wrenches out. I bought a bottle of Kreen and followed the directions. It completely fixed the issue and the truck is still running good 10 years later.

You say smoke comes out on acceleration and deceleration...possible ring wear. If the rings are worn there is no telling what else is toast.

As far as checking for sludge, removing a valve cover would likely reveal it.

the shaking is probably the bearings, and oil starvation

starvation because the fresh oil moved the sludge into the oil pick up screen and plugged oil passages in the block

it's more dead than Elvis

look for a good used engine and replace it

My girlfriend has a 2019 Infiniti with 20,000 miles on it. She got an engine oil pressure warning last week so she took it in and finally had the oil change. (I don’t think she ever did beforehand). I know how crazy that sounds but she didn’t realize it I guess?

A week later her car started shaking a lot and the check engine light came on. She took it in and was told her 4th cylinder was misfiring. After that was fixed I had my guy look at it and he put some transmission fluid in to break up the slush and he did another oil change with AMS synthetic oil. She drove it today and said there was a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

She has 6 months or so left on her lease and I would like to help her solve the sledge issue so she doesn’t have a problem when she returns it. Anyone has a suggestion as to next steps to help remedy this situation? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for the help!
White smoke is usually indicative of coolant. Confirm coolant is fine. Just have her keep driving the car unless it's making really bad noises and needs another trip to the dealer. Automakers aren't into charging a leasee for new engine due to suspect maintenance habits. It's more of a scare tactic than anything else.

BTW..you're assuming sludge. It may not be. I'm assuming vehicle is still under warranty.

If it's running OK, maintaining oil pressure and not making awful noises, it should get her through to lease return time. As soon as the coast is clear, I would look into turning it in early. The girlfriend too manybe..

Like I asked earlier, still curious if this is an Infinity QX60.. Like I say, I could link you to many threads with similar issues from this particular engine.

Back