slob

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP chevy v8 with flat tappet cam, My dad gave me some of his stash of slob in the bright pink bottles, Is this stuff really any good and how much do I use for 5 quarts for my engine?

Lots of info on SLOB in the oil additive sectiom, it was a darling here on Bitog. I don't remember the dose but I'm sure it was posted. HTH

I have a HP chevy v8 with flat tappet cam, My dad gave me some of his stash of slob in the bright pink bottles, Is this stuff really any good and how much do I use for 5 quarts for my engine?

Here is the data from a fresh sample of the SLOB in the pink bottle:

Parameter: VOA Data (Manufacturer's data)

Zinc: 4898 ppm (4700)
Phosphorus: 4921 ppm (4300)
Calcium: 4279 ppm (7800)
Moly: 0 ppm (0)
Vis @100C: 29.5 cSt (28)

The lab report also showed 13 ppm magnesium, 11 ppm silicon, 5 ppm sodium, and 3 ppm iron.

Be careful with the old pink bottles. They become brittle with age.
From what I remember 1/4 to 1/2 a bottle is the most you should do.

The stuff is thick and a full bottle has a tendency to clog your oil filter as it is too much for 100% of it to remain in suspension. As it falls out of suspension, it clogs the filter sending it into bypass.

Thanks for the replys, didn't mean to post twice but realized I should have posted in another place too late.
sounds bad to have it settle and clog my filter but according to the math in the link posted with a sm oil a whole bottle only makes it 1200 ppm of additive.
Do I need to use another type of oil to get the levels up closer to 1800

Does someone have an actual example of clogging a filter with SLOB? Alternatively, does someone have any data that could be used to support the idea that SLOB could clog a filter? Exactly what would be falling out of suspension (or solution)? At one pint per 4 quarts, you will barely move to the next higher grade.

I don't think that you need SLOB, but I don't see any reason to think that you will do any harm with a full bottle.

with the low levels mandated by the feds in oil I need a oil with alot higher additive formula and since i have read so much about slob I would like to use it to boost a off the shelf oil if possible.

Is there a better choice of off the shelf oil with higher additives to add the slob too to get in the 1800 range?

Ditto on the pink bottles being brittle and leaking!
I used mine up [what didn't leak] and am now using Lubro Moly.
It's a better additive.

SLOB clogging filters? News to me. I was one of the original Big Lots SLOB hoarders and am still working through the stash of it (5-6 years later!)

So according to the link a whole bottle mixed with a sm oil only brings the zinc to 1200 ppm , is there a better off the shelf oil than sm to make it closer to 1800, or atleast higher than 1200

Originally Posted By: built
So according to the link a whole bottle mixed with a sm oil only brings the zinc to 1200 ppm , is there a better off the shelf oil than sm to make it closer to 1800, or atleast higher than 1200

What engine are you dosing? 1200PPM should be plenty for any modern engine or any engine for that matter.

Start with an HDEO that's already in the 1000 - 1200 range, and you should be able to get it up a bit higher (maybe 1400 - 1500).

It's not a modern engine,it's a high performance small block with flat tappet cam.

Aren't all HDEO on the shelf the same amount of zinc and additves as standard sm oil?

Or are some oils higher.
thanks for the help, sorry about still asking questions.

what do you recommend rslifkin ?

HDEOs (Rotella, Delvac, etc) tend to have a bit more ZDDP than an average PCMO. I'd give a 5W-40 HDEO a shot. Once the cam is broken in, 1200+ ppm of ZDDP should be plenty to keep it alive. I think the Rotella T6 5W-40 is around 1100 - 1200 ppm of ZDDP, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back