Slim head, 3/8 Flex head ratchet recommendation

Get the long handled 1/4 drive snap on. Do you really have a socket that’s not available in 1/4?
The 1st gen TSX alternator has 2 12mm head fasteners on the bottom and it is a tight fit. An AC hard line adds to the fun. I have std, mid and deep SO 3/8" sockets. The 2 fasteners are easy with the mid socket and a flex head ratchet. Problem was I only brought the deeps with me.

Got it done with the 1/4 deep with a tiny flex 1/4 ratchet but it was really tight. A few band-aids were in order.
My mistake was not bringing the 12mm mid socket. I've done this job before but remembered it wrong. Dang!
1692714837904.jpg

Soaking in ATF as we speak. This is a great design; it would have made the TSX alternator job a snap and saved me some Band Aids...
I'm glad it worked out for you. HF definitely has its place. I've never seen a ratchet as thin from a big tool maker.

I think the only thing close would be an ASTRO pnuematic nano socket on a box end ratcheting wrench

I'm glad it worked out for you. HF definitely has its place. I've never seen a ratchet as thin from a big tool maker.

I think the only thing close would be an ASTRO pnuematic nano socket on a box end ratcheting wrench
Yeah, the problem with the TSX is the tight space. The perfect setup is a flex head ratchet and a semi deep 12mm socket.
On our 2006 TSX, the job was easy enough because I did it in my garage with all the tool options.

The job last Sunday was at my friend's place in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I did not have my semi deep sockets. The 3/8 SO ratchet and deep 12mm will not fit. Tried several combinations; ended up with tiny 1/4 flex and deep 12mm. You need tiny hands...
FYI, this job on an Accord with the mighty K24 is much easier because of the clearance. A flex ratchet and deep 12mm and you are done.
You might even get your Milwaukee cordless in there.

I will give the HF a go soon enough... Here's the job; check out his fine ratchet!

Yeah, the problem with the TSX is the tight space. The perfect setup is a flex head ratchet and a semi deep 12mm socket.
On our 2006 TSX, the job was easy enough because I did it in my garage with all the tool options.

The job last Sunday was at my friend's place in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I did not have my semi deep sockets. The 3/8 SO ratchet and deep 12mm will not fit. Tried several combinations; ended up with tiny 1/4 flex and deep 12mm. You need tiny hands...
FYI, this job on an Accord with the mighty K24 is much easier because of the clearance. A flex ratchet and deep 12mm and you are done.
You might even get your Milwaukee cordless in there.

I will give the HF a go soon enough... Here's the job; check out his fine ratchet!

I have not done an Acura alternator, but wouldn't it be easier to access if the fan were removed? Or is this car like my Odyssey, where removing the fan is a PITA and requires removing the radiator hose (and coolant)?

I have not done an Acura alternator, but wouldn't it be easier to access if the fan were removed? Or is this car like my Odyssey, where removing the fan is a PITA and requires removing the radiator hose (and coolant)?
It is doable. Lotsa things are tight; I've done worse for sure.
Plus, another reason to buy more tools! Remember, he who dies with the most tools wins!

Actually, the time saver on this job is to bungee cord the serpentine belt in place to make re-installation a snap.
And use your left hand to spin off the alternator battery lead...

I have this 3/8 NAPA Carlyle long locking flex head 72 tooth since 2017. It is my favorite ratchet.

Those are love 'em or hate 'em. I couldn't stand the locking head mechanism. It hung up a little bit and something about it just rubbed me wrong. I wound up just giving it away.

This is strictly personal preference so neither of us is right or wrong, but if possible I'd reco people inspect these in person first, esp if paying NAPA's we-be-smokin'-crack retail pricing.

Back