Slightly sluggish acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might just be the oxygenated gas in your area. I assume they go back to regular for the summer? That's what they do here. All our cars have a seat of the pants decrease in performance with the "winter" blended gas.

I have an 89 Firebird TA, 5.0L, TPFI engine. My brother in law had the exact same car. I take meticulous care of mine and he didn't. Yet I continue to have something that sounds like slight pinging with any acceleration. It gets loud on hard accel. I use Rapidfire plugs and they were checked last year, they're about 5 years old. I only put about 4-5,000 miles on the car per year. I also hsd the injectors Motorvac cleaned last year. My air cleaner is a new Fram. Timing is ok. I used to use 93 octane but switched to 89 octane gas. I didn't notice any change in the high pitched clicking sounds.

The shops I've gone to don't seem to do a good job of getting rid of the clicking and high pitched hissing I hear on accel. If it goes away, it comes back in a few weeks.

My MPG seems less than it did a few years ago, and it has seemed sluggish to me. It did better a few years ago before this area switched to gasohol, so I assumed the lower MPG and slower response was due to that.

My brother in law recently drove my car and commented that he had to push the accelerator down more than on his car to get a similar response.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back