Sleep?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exercise and diet. I've been into bodybuilding since highschool (I'm 45 now). And even now,I still have a hard time sleeping on my off nights (when I don't work out). On my weightlifting nights,I sleep like a rock,all night,undisturbed. On my off nights I lie awake,toss and turn,etc. So on my off nights,I started running again. Six miles. I come home,shower,and pass out. Works like a charm!

Find a meditation class.

I meditate daily as a part of my Martial Arts exercises and it has always worked great for me to be able to sleep just about anywhere, Anytime.

Originally Posted By: slug_bug
6 oz. glass of wine just before you turn in for the night.

Yep or even 8 oz of red wine like a cab. After dinner or sometime during the day get at least a 30 min plus walk in. Try to walk every day. Then start focusing on a better diet.

Try a free site called www.sparkpeople.com and enter your height, weight etc. Last July I was 247 lbs and it gave me a goal by this July to weigh 197 lbs. I'm now 192.5 lbs and SLEEP like a log. Plus I don't feel deprived at all.

A swing shift worker is never going to have a normal sleep pattern. Why do you think I'm so pleasant? LOL. Kidding.

I use earplugs when sleeping during the day and try to keep the room as cool and dark as possible.

I've tried any number of sleep aids, prescription and otherwise. No go.

Originally Posted By: dtownfb
Originally Posted By: Cooper
I can't sleep lately. There is nothing specific on my mind. I don't snore (per wife) and don't have sleep apnea issues. I don't take any medications or need them. I drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning and don't drink pop or anything with caffeine except that 1 cup of coffee. Marriage is good, kids are fine, just can't sleep. I am a paramedic and work 24 hour shifts, but, I have been doing that for a long time. I can sleep while at work, but I can't sleep at home......maybe 3-4 hours at most, and I feel like I look at the clock every hour or so....

More of just complaining than anything.

Turning 34....few pounds overweight. You're body is starting to change. It's not only women that go through changes. your metabolism could be slowing down.

You don't mention exercise. I would recommend adding a simple exercise routine into your day (walking, jogging, cardio machines, etc). Exercising speeds up the metabolism and helps the body run more efficiently. Like another poster mentioned, even if you worked 24 hour shifts a while, it could now be throwing off your body rhythms.

Good luck.

I exercise every day. I do 2 days of weights and 1 day of cardio and repeat. I don't eat or drink caffeine past 10am. I don't have a tv in my bedroom and don't use it for anything other than sleep, sex and getting ready for the day.

Honestly, I feel like I get tired, lay down, and start thinking about everything I need to do, or everything that I have done that day.

I know how you feel same deal no worry's,no depression , happy ,awesome son ,been having sleep issues for 15 years ,tried Ambien ,lunesta ,melatonin ,they help but I don't want to rely on a drug to put me to sleep , doctor suggested to put me on a antidepressant named citalopram and that helped a lot been on it almost 2 years no side effects and studies are saying it is looking like it prevents dementia oldtimers

How much coffee do you drink? I limit myself to a couple of cups or it affects my sleep patterns.

What also helps me is some physical activity, either at the gym or working.

Before pills, please try some sort of simple meditation. Mindful breathing or something. If I try to meditate sitting in a wing back chair or lying down, sleep takes over within minutes. I sit on a hard chair without using the backrest and still nod off. When my head falls forward, it wakes me up.

Unexpected revelations will come from meditation. You are having trouble sleeping for a reason.

I am a one-trick pony when it comes to meditation. A doctor taught me breathing in 1974 and it is the only thing that I do. But, there are numerous methods, on-line resources, and people who do know what will work for you. With the coming of the internet, I found the name - mindful breathing. Good luck.

I'm not sure of the triptofan in milk, but there might be something scientific going on there. I find that if I overwork physically, I have a harder time sleeping as if I just had a normal day. For me, it might be the addrenalin keeping me up. Just plain warm milk is not my cup of tea (so to speak). Must...have...syrup! ha ha
Originally Posted By: niero
Originally Posted By: Tzu
This may sound corny, but when I was young my mom would give us some warm milk and maybe 2 teaspoons of maple syrup mixed together to help us sleep. The syrup just made us want to drink it, but I actually do like the taste even today. Not overly sweet, but just enough to give it some flavor. I'm 47 but occasionally I will still have a cup. Try it for a few days in a row and see if it helps. Good luck.

Some of those older remedies worked very well. I wonder what it is about warm milk that would help sleep? With the maple syrup, sometimes when I have a hit of sugar near bedtime it can make me tired. Then again, other times it can wake me up.

Is there tryptophan in milk?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Just because you've done 24 hour shifts for a while doesn't mean they are good for you. I would imagine that really screws with your body's rhythms.

It really does. Years of being on patient call working days, coming in on call working 1/2 the night on adrenaline taking care of stemi patients and working the next day takes its toll ( plus the ionizing radiation exposure). I never sleep well anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back