Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here deal with this?

I remember, in my younger years, getting great rest when I slept during typical night hours (11PM-6AM).

Somewhere along the way, my internal clock broke and now my "ideal" sleep hours are probably 8AM-Noon. If I can stay up all night and go to bed around 6AM, I feel freaking fabulous once I wake up. When I sleep during "night hours", I wake up just worn out and exhausted.

The sleep doctors here are all just CPAP peddlers now, so I haven't been able to get a confirmation that I have this DSPD.

I understand this is a common problem for anyone who did shift work.

I have the same problem thats why i am reading your post at 1:55 am,please keep me posted if you find a solution and i will the same!Peace be with you.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
My health, diet and fitness are immaculate.

How about libido?
And your career? how's that going? are you being challenged in it? or are you merely "coasting"?

I have the same problem. I sleep 2 to 4 hours at time, I think my time on Submarines messed up my sleep pattern as you NEVER had a normal pattern while underway. It is 2:06 AM here.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

How about libido?
And your career? how's that going? are you being challenged in it? or are you merely "coasting"?

Those are fine.

That has to sock. While my sleep clock remains nighttime, I'm dealing with sleep disturbances ever since the concussion and broken neck last year. I really don't want to submit to a sleep study because as mentioned above all they'll do is shove a cpap at me.

The sleep doctors here are all just CPAP peddlers now, so I haven't been able to get a confirmation that I have this DSPD.

So do you want the doctor to diagnose your condition or to just confirm your suspicion??

Because what you've posted here reads like "I don't want the doctor to come to his own professional conclusion, I only want him to confirm what I think".

What if, maybe, perhaps, by chance, the doctor is actually correct in prescribing the CPAP?

Then what?

Originally Posted By: Imp4

So do you want the doctor to diagnose your condition or to just confirm your suspicion??

Because what you've posted here reads like "I don't want the doctor to come to his own professional conclusion, I only want him to confirm what I think".

What if, maybe, perhaps, by chance, the doctor is actually correct in prescribing the CPAP?

Then what?

Then you develop a dry chronic cough from the cpap like my co-worker, who, by the way, cleans and maintains the thing properly.

Then what?

I ALREADY use a CPAP and their only advice was to get a newer CPAP. So to be a decent person I spent the money to rent their new machine and did a trial run for 3 months. I didn't notice an improvement in sleep and their only conclusion was that I was lucky enough to be able to sleep and that the issue couldn't be fixed.

Then what?

I find doctors are not really the greatest troubleshooters. They are always too conservative, and usually try a one size fits all approach.

"Professional opinion" often depends on when they went to school or what is trendy.

Then what?

I ALREADY use a CPAP and their only advice was to get a newer CPAP. So to be a decent person I spent the money to rent their new machine and did a trial run for 3 months. I didn't notice an improvement in sleep and their only conclusion was that I was lucky enough to be able to sleep and that the issue couldn't be fixed.

Huh, that's interesting. I guess when you said this:
My health, diet and fitness are immaculate

Then I assumed that you health, diet, and fitness were immaculate.

I would have assumed otherwise if you had stated that your health, diet and fitness are immaculate but you also use a CPAP that is prescribed to treat a chronic condition.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Have you tried a white noise generator? I read that people who work shifts often use them.

Those work for me ... so well I’ve got a big RR Trent lined up for that tomorrow ...
wink.gif

Military service and working swing or graveyard shifts will disrupt your sleep clock. The worst for civilians is working rotating shifts. I mention military because for most, sleep is a luxury.

Eating habits like eating late at night will affect sleep. Everyone is different so trying to apply one fix for all doesn’t work very well.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Have you tried a white noise generator? I read that people who work shifts often use them.

I have to have a fan running all the time. I know that comes from the Submarine. Lots of Submariners have to sleep with them

When the fans turn off on a Submarine that means something is wrong, some sort of casualty. Fire, flooding, etc. So you get conditioned to listening to the fans.

Thank God my Dr put me on a Cpap machine last August. I was waking up 3-4 times a night thinking I had to pee. Mt snoring was waking me up. Now, most night I sleep all night long. I could fill this post with my health issues. The machine eliminated one and I feel a lot better.

If that is the case, then your sleeping habits are doing alright for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back