Anyone else unable to sleep on planes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sleep fine with the sound of a jet whistling out the window. Fans & ceiling fans will also lull me to sleep. But hotel rooms, beds away from home, etc. tough to sleep. That's why I carry ambien.

Originally Posted By: joaks
I've never slept on a plane but took an overnight bus trip and snored myself awake three times over 7 hours. Fantatically loud!
I'm also afraid I will pass gas in my sleep (never been told I do that but its plausable).

As my wife would say... "charming".
grin.gif
wink.gif

People who snore on planes drive me crazy. It's really a nuisance and not very courteous to other passengers.

I have to say it depends. A few years ago my family and I took a trip from TPA-SGN, which is pretty much a 24+ hours trip including layovers. One of the segments was from Dallas-Fort Worth to Tokyo Narita, which was a 13 hour flight. I got very little sleep on that flight and only had 3 hours of sleep the previous night so I was sleep deprived. I can't sleep in strange places unless I'm exhausted. For the 5.5 hour flight into Ho Chi Minh City I was out most of the way. I got on the plane, dozed off, woke up for dinner, and dozed off again until we were on final approach. I can rarely sleep well in a hotel room either.

Originally Posted By: dparm
People who snore on planes drive me crazy. It's really a nuisance and not very courteous to other passengers.

I bet you don't hate snorers more than the outlaw John Wesley Hardin,

"Hardin and several of his fellow cow herders had put up for the night at the "American House Hotel". Sometime during the evening, Hardin, and at least one other cow hand, began firing bullets through the bedroom wall and ceiling, in an attempt to stop the snoring which was coming from the next room. A sleeping stranger, Charles Cougar, was killed. (In his autobiography, Hardin claimed he was shooting at a man who was in his room to rob or kill him, and that he did not realize they had accidentally killed a man in the other room until much later.) Hardin realized he would be in trouble with Hickok for firing his gun within the city limits. Half-dressed, he and his men exited through a second story window and ran onto the roof of the hotel —just in time to see Hickok arriving with four policemen. "I believe," Hardin wrote later, "that if Wild Bill found me in a defenseless condition, he would take no explanation, but would kill me to add to his reputation".[8] A contemporary newspaper report of the shooting noted: "A man was killed in his bed at a hotel in Abilene, Monday night, by a desperado called "Arkansas". The murderer escaped. This was his sixth murder."[24] Hardin leaped from the roof into the street and hid in a haystack for the rest of the night. He stole a horse and made his way back to the cow camp outside town. The next day, he left for Texas, never to return to Abilene. Years later, Hardin made a casual reference to the episode: "They tell lots of lies about me," he complained, "They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. Well, it ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."[6] In his autobiography, Hardin claimed that following this shooting, he ambushed lawman, Tom Carson, and two other deputies at a cowboy camp 35 miles outside of Abilene, but did not kill them, only forcing them to remove all their clothing and walk back to Abilene.[8]"

yep 18-19 hours-with the wind I presume. 72 hours in a light head wind. I swear, the seats felt like rotted wicker baskets, and the noise was so loud, I'm sure the windows were cracked open, and I wish they were simply because it was hot in there. Oh coarse I shouldn't be complaining. There are much worse flying Grey Hound buses out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back