Slant 6/ What's old is new again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Number_35[/quote
Similar to this? (Spotted in Whangerei in 2003.)

No, that's a VG, and you can see the Hemi badge on the right corner of the boot. That was another engine to replace the slant 6, more power of course, but not as reliable.

My 63 Valiant with the slant 6 was about bullet proof, along with the push button automatic. As a 16 year old I tested its limits.

I had a '69 Plymouth Duster with slant six & three on a tree that was bulletproof when I was 17 until 19. No A/C, bench seats, a notched rod under the dash pulled with the hand for the parking brake, dimmer switch on the floor, and turn signal indicators on the tops of the front fenders. PH8A size oil filter, no PCV valve.

Originally Posted by CT8
The slant 6 was also used successfully as industrial engines

Still is. Quite a few water management dams around here still have Slant 6 engines.

Originally Posted by Number_35
Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by Pelican
I think that the reason why carmakers are going with straight 6 is that it can be modular and save them money, you may see a straight 7 or 8 in the future. All they have to do is add another cylinder and check the balance

They had issues with air/fuel distribution back in the days of the buick 8.
I'd heard that it was difficult to get enough torsional strength in a long crankshaft, and that had doomed the inline-6.

Maybe using the metallurgical tech of the day. Toyota and Nissan proved an inline 6 crank can easily hold 1000HP at 10,000 rpm.

An inline 8 crank should be able to hold together well enough if made right. The key would be to have the engine with 9 mains, which was not always a given (usually not) on inline 8 engines. An inline 8 with 9 6-bolt mains could be a force to be reckoned with.

That was a chronic problem with Straight-Eights in general, one main reason for the switch to V8s.

Number35...these are what silk was talking about...

Dodge-AT4-575.jpg

My dad had a Dodge dart with the slant 6. I never saw him do any repairs on that car. If he changed the oil, I never saw it. Totally dependable. I can't remember why he got rid of it. Probably rusted out.

Originally Posted by CR94
That was a chronic problem with Straight-Eights in general, one main reason for the switch to V8s.

Interestingly, on some Ford inline 6's, they went with an small, integral, cast on to the head, log intake manifold. Our testing showed something interesting, the air fuel would shuffle from end to end, not in a resonance like a modern tuned intake manifold, but via inertia at just about any RPM. It led to acceptable fuel distribution on all cylinders, and acceptable air flow with a single barrel carburetor. Certainly not a formula for high output, but a formula for smooth operation that was easy to manufacture.

Similar log intake manifolds were tried on many engines without great success.

Who knows how they figured it out, but it worked amazingly well on early engines. Later engines needed to be emissions compliant and less than ideal changes were made to the original design.

I had one like the pic below: Very smooth engine!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Cujet,
when I did my engineering thesis, the floor of the manifold had at least 10+% of the fuel running along the floor, at 1/10th the speed of the air above it, being dragged along by viscous drag.

First year out, we brazed two more carb mounting plates onto a workmates 250, and made his a triple carb arrangement.

(I had triple S.U.s on my Holden 6, so this guy wanted "triples" on his ute as well).

Originally Posted by Shannow
Cujet,
when I did my engineering thesis, the floor of the manifold had at least 10+% of the fuel running along the floor, at 1/10th the speed of the air above it, being dragged along by viscous drag.

First year out, we brazed two more carb mounting plates onto a workmates 250, and made his a triple carb arrangement.

That's probably why they had the 2 center exhaust ports discharge into a box directly under the carb, with a waffle pattern cast into the manifold floor. Along with a tilt up at the rear of the log, so the fuel would not run to the back under blistering acceleration.

Amazing that they got it to run so well for such a limited design. Our dyno tests revealed acceptable fuel distribution (by EGT) . Better than many contemporary V8 engines.

Those single carb 250's with the log manifold made maximum torque at 1,600rpm, and down hill from there, but they sure could haul off the line, and of course tow, they were the tow car of choice here.

I had an International AS110 pickup before I got the Dodge AT4. The Inter was a great truck for hard work...and pulling something and keeping traction, I'd get the charge light just dimming and feed in the clutch, it'd never stall or spin the wheels, just pull. Even though the slant 6 in the Dodge was detuned from the car engine, max torque was at higher revs, it needed more revs to get under way, and on a slippery slope where the Inter just went straight up, the Dodge had to hit it at more revs....and it was all over, wheelspin and stuck at the bottom.

The first engine I used M1 5-20 in was a 1978 Dodge pickup, with the 225 Slant 6 engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back